PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmill208

Lifer
Dec 8, 2013
Maryland USA
However, after having read many of chashingembers posts I have the distinct feeling that he is not one who will not make it his life endeavor to bombard this site with never ending posts and references to it at every given opportunity such as... well, I'm sure you get my point.
:rofl:

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
I've been smoking English almost exclusively for over half a century, with the occasional change-off to Virginias, VaPers, and a aromatic every so often just for fun, so I ended up with an ounce of Mixture 79 last week. I'm also very fond of really good black licorice and will spend a few bucks for a good Australian licorice--far better than anything that's made here. And I use it in cooking too. Anyway, I tried a bowl of Mixture 79, and it wasn't bad. The first taste was floral, then the licorice made its presence felt. I don't know if this will become part of the regular lineup, but I may keep a it around just for fun.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
This is the kind of excitement I like on a forum. Good independent thinking, chasingembers.
After discovering a liking for Lakeland blends, I've been seeking often unpraised tobaccos just to see what's what. I even shredded a Futurity Twist and smoked it in a cob. Tasted great, but the nicotine knocked me on my ass! That M79 Cherry Brandy will likely get tried as well.
However, after having read many of chashingembers posts I have the distinct feeling that he is not one who will not make it his life endeavor to bombard this site with never ending posts and references to it at every given opportunity such as... well, I'm sure you get my point.
Black Frigate

Black Frigate

Black Frigate

Black Frigate

:rofl:

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I don't care for OTC codger blends in general, but I detested licorice long before I started smoking, so never had any interest in trying 79.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I completely agree and it's good to see someone stick up for a tobacco that has been repeatedly misaligned and the butt of many jokes
I'm leery of political concepts like equality, freedom, liberty, etc. (ad nauseam) but I like independent thinking, and I'll be ordering some Mixture 79 soon based on chasingembers' recommendation. I'll have to find something new to make fun of if I like it, but there are always the Lakelands for mockery, or OGS (the tobacco equivalent of Rice Krispies).

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
Raspberry Red, Orange orange, and lemon yellow... no, wait... that was Trix! (Silly Wabbit!!!)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Folks, if you are tempted, you can sample Mixture 79 for about five bucks for a pouch. Add it to another order, and it likely won't cost any more to ship. As a child, I enjoyed chewing on actual licorice root bought as some kind of old-time remedy from the local independent pharmacist. It was tasty, but I've never gone for licorice in general, so I'm not a likely candidate. But remember, the pipe tobacco market is kept afloat by aromatic blends, like 95 percent plus of the pipe tobacco market, so puff proudly. If you find you love Mixture 79, you can graduate to a tub.

coda

Lurker
Jan 25, 2015
I believe that M79 no longer comes in the luxury pouch. It is now packaged in a roll-up pouch a la SWR. I liked the luxury pouch: it reminded me of Victorian wallpaper...which is fitting, since M79 always reminded me of the Vincent Price film, Fall of the House of Usher. M79 is very Victorian to me...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A licorice aromatic might be the rare tobacco that is a breath freshener, like those old Sen-Sen candies. What do you think?

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
My wife likes anise & Thai basil which has an anise flavor, but thinks that licorice tastes like anus (I never ask her how she knows this).
@mso489: I'd forgotten about Sen-Sen's. A chain-smoking aunt loved them. Since I loved Smith Brothers Licorice Cough Drops & black jelly beans, I deeveloped a taste for Sen-Sen's as well. I may like Mixture No. 79 as well.

beastinview

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2016
This thread convinced me to try Mixture 79--just ordered a pouch. Almost every blend that I've heard people drama-queen over as being terrible has been great to me, so reverse psychology is it.
Also hawky and chasingembers like it, and they have good taste.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Almost every blend that I've heard people drama-queen over as being terrible has been great to me
For the most part, this has been my experience as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.