PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
I didn't know Hamms was still brewed. I have nostalgia for an old Chicago brew called Meister Brau.

Yes, I believed Hamms to be dead and gone too until I met some college kid recently who said it was a favorite of his. Hamms of all things . . . Jesus wept

Anyway, I forgot about Meister Brau until you mentioned it. No recollection of what it tasted like.

Jamdat692

Lurker
Oct 5, 2019
If I were to suggest a non aero to try it would be bengal slices or plumb pudding reserve. To me Virginia’s often taste like cigs. But very much enjoy Latakia blends. I would also try tabac manil la petite robin. It’s a great blend unlike anything else I’ve smoked. Best of luck on your journey. I hope you find what you enjoy.

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
I enjoy an aromatic every now and then when instead of steak and lobster I just want a hot fudge sundae with cherries on top. ?

Reactions: JMcQ

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
good to know I am not the only one that thinks so. I'll put it this way there is nothing like expensive scotch but bourbon is great at any price point.

Agreed. I rarely buy bottles of bourbon that cost much more than $30 unless I'm buying it as a gift. There's really just no need, as bourbon only gets incrementally better (if any better at all) above that price point. On the other hand, I buy bottles of scotch that cost way more than that, and you pretty much have to if you want anything decent.

that's what I think every time I hear the real pipers don't do aromatics they only do english.

I think it used to be that real pipers preferred English blends, but I think these days real pipers prefer Virginia puffy

No hate on the Virginia guys. I've been smoking a lot more Virginia in the past year than I ever did before.

Reactions: anotherbob

generalzod

Lurker
Sep 29, 2014
Philadelphia
I'll put it this way there is nothing like expensive scotch but bourbon is great at any price point.
You can definitely get a good bourbon way cheaper than a good scotch. And I suspect that's at least part of the reason some people gravitate towards scotch (the appeal of exclusive, hard to find, expensive bottles).

Agreed. I rarely buy bottles of bourbon that cost much more than $30 unless I'm buying it as a gift. There's really just no need, as bourbon only gets incrementally better (if any better at all) above that price point.
I'd mostly agree. It's hard to beat something like Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare or Larceny, most of which can be had between $25 - $35. But I do enjoy some of the more expensive ($50 - $60) range bourbons; Blantons, Breckenridge, Widow Jane, etc.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Most people aren't like that, but there are always a few goofy people who take the "good taste" snobbery thing way too far. I guess I'm not a real scotch drinker because I also drink run-of-the-mill bourbon regularly, but I guess I'm also not a real bourbon drinker because sometimes I mix my bourbon into cocktails, and I guess I'm not a real booze connoisseur anyhow because sometimes I drink cheap light beer, but unfortunately I'm also not a real beer drinker either because sometimes I like to drink shandies (lemonade / beer combos). Oh well
Never understood people like this. There is already plenty in life to give a shit about. Why add to that list when you can just relax and let people do their own thing?

d750

Lurker
Aug 20, 2019
I have never understood when someone wants to taste tobacco and then complains that it tastes like cigarettes, which is made of tobacco.

Nah, that's like saying you can't understand when someone wants to taste grapes and then complains that it takes like grape juice, which is made of grapes. Which leaves out some pretty tasty options like Bordeaux, Barolo, Champagne, Brandy.............;)

I've smoked cigarettes. I've smoked cigars. I've chewed Red Man and dipped Copenhagen.

I've smoked a pipe for 30 years. I still prefer aromatics. Don't like non-aromatics.

My favorite is Lane RLP-6.

George

Dusk

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2019
Undah Da Sea
I enjoy heavy aros as I've gotten used to slow smoking them to keep the flavour as long as possible. It's fun to do it in my meers to help them color and I enjoy the challenge. Same with virginias but it's more to get the cirtrus flavors to come out.

I'll smoke some Quiet Nights or Gaslight on occasion, but it's usually because my palate needs a break. Other than that, aros with a bit of lat are great for everyday smoking - Lane HGL or PS English Oriental come to mind.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
You can definitely get a good bourbon way cheaper than a good scotch. And I suspect that's at least part of the reason some people gravitate towards scotch (the appeal of exclusive, hard to find, expensive bottles).

I'd mostly agree. It's hard to beat something like Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare or Larceny, most of which can be had between $25 - $35. But I do enjoy some of the more expensive ($50 - $60) range bourbons; Blantons, Breckenridge, Widow Jane, etc.
Wereas in the EU any decent Bourbon will cost more than average good scotch

Reactions: anotherbob

Elric

Lifer
Sep 19, 2019
Liplapper Lane (Michigan)
tobaccocellar.com
Yes, I believed Hamms to be dead and gone too until I met some college kid recently who said it was a favorite of his. Hamms of all things . . . Jesus wept

Anyway, I forgot about Meister Brau until you mentioned it. No recollection of what it tasted like.

That used to be my go-to beer in the army at Fort Hood. Cheap but decent. Hamm's just checks the cheap box according to my son, LOL!

As to the topic at hand, I still enjoy quality aromatics but also enjoy other tobaccos as well. Smoke what your mood dictates.

Reactions: logs

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
The other thing I find hilarious is the aromatics aren't real pipe tobacco crowd seems to love latakia which if you ask me is pretty highly aromatic.
Not so long ago Latakia, Orientals, and certain Virginias were the aromatic tobaccos as they had a naturally strong aroma. The vanillas, cherries, etc. were flavored tobaccos.

Status
Not open for further replies.