Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Jan 27, 2020
Over the past couple of days I've been thinking about how many people I've ever seen actually smoking a pipe.
I would say about twenty here iin England, and all of those when I was a boy.
In 1966 I stayed in Germany for 3 months and saw about 20 people with a pipe.
But in the last 50 years I'm sure I haven't seen a single one.

I've never thought about it before, but now, after consideration, I feel quite surprised.

Here in NYC since I started a couple years ago I have spotted 2 older gentlemen in cars, a middle age Russian guy (I know he was Russian as when I asked him what he was spoking he responded with a thick Russian accent "Captain Black"), another older man hanging on the street not far from I live (another Captain Black smoker) and finally in NJ outside of a Walmart yet another older man who told me Smoker's Pride was in his cob.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
You are not only a funny wanna-be but you are proving my point and I thank you for that. I find that those that talk big are the ones that end up ducking when I go to scratch my head. ?
You initiated the confrontation with me pal. You apparently are in for a significant surprise if we ever meet face to face. I'm a teddy bear with cosmic because he is a great guy to hang with. In fact, I'm a great guy period when just left alone or not bothered by some moron when I'm minding my own business. You should try it some time vs the sanctimonious prick routine.

DAR

Can't Leave
Aug 2, 2020
Tiburon, California
You initiated the confrontation with me pal. You apparently are in for a significant surprise if we ever meet face to face. I'm a teddy bear with cosmic because he is a great guy to hang with. In fact, I'm a great guy period when just left alone or not bothered by some moron when I'm minding my own business. You should try it some time vs the sanctimonious prick routine.
I didn't initiate a confrontation..... pal. ? You stated that you want to kick ass on anyone that has an unsolicited opinion. Sounds like a sanctimonious prick to me. I'm sure you agree that it's a whacky thing to post on a forum that is there partially for unsolicited opinions.
I didn't mean to get your panties in a bunch enough to threaten bodily harm if we ever meet. Not gonna happen...... Pal. I'm an adult. I don't go around punching out morons because they "got to me" on the internet. If I'm just a moron. You are definitely a dangerous moron.

Reactions: Frasermac
Jun 25, 2021
England
I didn't initiate a confrontation..... pal. ? You stated that you want to kick ass on anyone that has an unsolicited opinion. Sounds like a sanctimonious prick to me. I'm sure you agree that it's a whacky thing to post on a forum that is there partially for unsolicited opinions.
I didn't mean to get your panties in a bunch enough to threaten bodily harm if we ever meet. Not gonna happen...... Pal. I'm an adult. I don't go around punching out morons because they "got to me" on the internet. If I'm just a moron. You are definitely a dangerous moron.
To be honest DAR, when I first noticed that you had replied to my thread, my first thought was pleasure in anticipation of hearing what your experience may be regarding people that you have seen smoking a pipe in public.

I would still like to hear about those experiences.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I had an uncle and my grandfather who smoked pipes. Outside of that I can remember a few, maybe 10 people smoking pipes in public. The rarity made them stand out . I will smoke aros out in public to rep our hobby from time to time.

Sorry for contributing to the derailment in your post, op. Dar actually is a condescending prick though, and I felt the need to weigh in.

Jun 9, 2018
England
I don't smoke pipes in public all that often just because I don't want to carry all that stuff with me. I do sometimes keep a cob or two and some codger burley in my truck. I wonder if there might be more pipe smokers around than we know just because they mostly smoke at home.
Yeah, I only ever smoke my pipe alone or at my parents for Christmas. If i'm out and about I smoke cigarettes.

marconi

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2019
England
Over the past couple of days I've been thinking about how many people I've ever seen actually smoking a pipe.
I would say about twenty here iin England, and all of those when I was a boy.
In 1966 I stayed in Germany for 3 months and saw about 20 people with a pipe.
But in the last 50 years I'm sure I haven't seen a single one.

I've never thought about it before, but now, after consideration, I feel quite surprised.
I think pipe smokers in the wild have to be treated like rare bird sightings.You have to log it for future reference or no one will believe you.
Last year I had four sightings looking back at my records i can tell you what pipes they smoked and what blend they had on the go at the time.
I have had to change my approach because I get exited when I make a sighting bounding up to them and asking ''what have you got in that pipe'' can cause alarm.
Last year I logged two falcons one bent,one Savinelli poker,and one Carey magic inch. What was in the pipes no real surprise there with one exception.So there were three St Bruno R/R and one Gawith Balkan mixture.
The Balkan mixture magic inch guy now drinks regularly at my local sits out front and puffs away.He is a Railway man travels twenty miles to sup good ale and smoke his pipe he used to be OMG a Clan man then a kind tobacconist in central London said why dont you try something else.Now he chain smokes Baltic mixture.

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
I think pipe smokers in the wild have to be treated like rare bird sightings.You have to log it for future reference or no one will believe you.
Last year I had four sightings looking back at my records i can tell you what pipes they smoked and what blend they had on the go at the time.
I have had to change my approach because I get exited when I make a sighting bounding up to them and asking ''what have you got in that pipe'' can cause alarm.
Last year I logged two falcons one bent,one Savinelli poker,and one Carey magic inch. What was in the pipes no real surprise there with one exception.So there were three St Bruno R/R and one Gawith Balkan mixture.
The Balkan mixture magic inch guy now drinks regularly at my local sits out front and puffs away.He is a Railway man travels twenty miles to sup good ale and smoke his pipe he used to be OMG a Clan man then a kind tobacconist in central London said why dont you try something else.Now he chain smokes Baltic mixture.Lovely story friend

Lovely story friend marconi........................I still think that smoking a pipe is something very special. And that only a pipe or cigars smoker understands................​