PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Brendan

Lifer
May 16, 2021
Cowra, New South Wales, Australia.
Ok, ok, do what you want, with any excuse you want... but, I can preload a pipe, put a tamp and a Bic in my pocket, and voila... no need to drag all of the damned accessories along with me. If I will be out for more than an hour, I might even put a handful of tobacco into an old square OGF tin and bring it along in my jacket pocket.
Exactly the same for me, except it's an old cabbies mixture tin.
And, when I'm feeling adventurous, I even put a bent pipe cleaner into the CM tin.

Brendan

Lifer
May 16, 2021
Cowra, New South Wales, Australia.
Oh back to the thread subject..
Maybe three.. during my time in Cowra (NSW, Australia) in the past decade.
All three gentlemen were in there 60's, one fellow I'd seen with one of those fancy Porsche pipe's.

Every now and then I'd catch a tall, handsome man with a solid build,
smoking a pipe around town until I realised it was just my own reflection.

makhorkasmoker

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
The last pipe smoker besides myself that I saw in public was an old guy at a rest stop somewhere way out in Kansas. That was a couple of years ago.

I smoke a pipe in public mainly when I'm riding my motorcycle somewhere. I puff a cob while checking the chain and tires, cleaning the visor, etc. Lots of people come up and talk. Nobody ever says anything about the pipe. When I'm moto-camping, I often have a smoke in the campground or the site. People will come up and talk. No one says anything about the pipe. Often enough they light a cigarette.

I see many, many cigarette smokers, and we chat. I see many cigar smokers too, but not the ones y'all usually talk about here. I mean people who smoke swishers or black n milds, for a low tax nic hit, or to keep the mosquitoes away.

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
I've maybe spotted 5 or 6 pipe smokers "in the wild" in the past 20 years. I too saw them much more frequently when I was a child, but even at that, they all seemed to be my grandfathers age. I don't recall seeing many my fathers age.

Also, by "in the wild" I mean just out and about, not at a pipe club, show, or at/near a tobacco related shop. (It's a term my wife came up with)

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
That's one good thing about living in a small town in Tennessee. Nobody cares if you smoke. I could probably smoke in some stores over on the poor side of town. I doubt anybody would notice.

Things are changing, of course. Around here, things just change slowly.

Outside, nobody will ever say anything. People smoke. It's what people do.
They do notice and they do care, but they won’t say anything, but they’ll gossip about you when you’re not around.

• Haha
Reactions: gamzultovah
What kind of bravado is that? I was hoping to at least get a slap in the face with a hankie. :eek:
I know you're just joking, but I have seen so many posting about Hoos being a tough guy.
I think Brobby boy used to call him terminator, but really if you've ever met him, he is really the nicest laidback guy. Of course, this will probably piss him off so that he tries to suckerpunch me next time we meet up, ha ha.

R

Rattray

I have, of course, met several pipe smokers in tobacco shops. In the street, not so much. Over the last 10 years I would say I have bumped into 5 or 6 pipe smokers either on a sidewalk or saw them in their car.
I always bring pipes and tobacco with me when I step out of the house. I always smoke my pipe in the car and sometimes, I will step out of the car and continue smoking as long as the wind is not too strong. I have walked in stores holding my pipe in hand or in my mouth (unlit) and never has anybody said anything to me.
I have never had anybody make disrespectful or inappropriate remarks about pipe tobacco or pipe smoking. I have had only positive comments about family memories, how it smells so good, etc. And a lot of smiles.

DAR

Can't Leave
Aug 2, 2020
Tiburon, California
I know you're just joking, but I have seen so many posting about Hoos being a tough guy.
I think Brobby boy used to call him terminator, but really if you've ever met him, he is really the nicest laidback guy. Of course, this will probably piss him off so that he tries to suckerpunch me next time we meet up, ha ha.
I am definitely just joking. I've been making a living by being able to tell who is a real tough guy and who isn't for 40 years. The internet did make it more difficult..... but usually, the ones that make the most noise are the ones that carry the smallest stick and are the most fun to have that beer with. That's not a bad thing.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
I'd likely just ignore you.

FpJ2U9-67cEgf3tPFfmht1tfELwn3itfnEb6B9omM-Q.gif

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I am definitely just joking. I've been making a living by being able to tell who is a real tough guy and who isn't for 40 years. The internet did make it more difficult..... but usually, the ones that make the most noise are the ones that carry the smallest stick and are the most fun to have that beer with. That's not a bad thing.
Well it may just be the internet... But I don't find you humorous.

DAR

Can't Leave
Aug 2, 2020
Tiburon, California
If we meet sometime face to face, you may get your wish and more if you have the same smart ass mouth. Be careful what you wish for.
You are not only a funny wanna-be but you are proving my point and I thank you for that. I find that those that talk big are the ones that end up ducking when I go to scratch my head. ?

• Haha
Reactions: Frasermac