PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Frasermac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 30, 2020
Over the past couple of days I've been thinking about how many people I've ever seen actually smoking a pipe.
I would say about twenty here iin England, and all of those when I was a boy.
In 1966 I stayed in Germany for 3 months and saw about 20 people with a pipe.
But in the last 50 years I'm sure I haven't seen a single one.

I've never thought about it before, but now, after consideration, I feel quite surprised.
I guess I’ve seen a few pipe smokers over the decades but, it’s certainly a rare sight nowadays. I’ve never met another cigar smoker though.
I frequently indulge when I’m out with the dogs but actively avoid meeting other people!

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I know 20 or so pipe smokers within an hour drive of my house. They range from those who smoke daily to maybe once or twice a year. There are another dozen that I know of throughout the country either through forums or listing pipes on the secondary market. In this last month I have passed on pipes to another 10 guys who have expressed interest in the hobby. The vast majority of pipe smokers I know have either picked up the pipe for nostalgia, or have transitioned from cigars. Only one friend still vapes during the day and saves his pipe for more relaxing times. The only female pipe smoker who I am close to, is a cultural mentor and a Māori kuia (grandmother). For her the pipe has a more positive association with tobacco use which connects more with her heritage than the social disparities commonly felt by her demographic

who feels obligated to express their unsolicited opinion about smoking or lecture me on the evils of tobacco.
I have never had anyone say something negative to me while I was smoking my pipe.
Except one time, when my mother was closing her dinner to retire, my whole family was in there for the last day, all smoking pipes, cigars, and cigarettes and being loud. My mother doesn't smoke, BTW. Anyways, a lady who had brought in her infant to eat was setting in the back, by herself. She spoke up, "Excuse me, could someone open a door? I have a baby in here."
My mother, who was closing the damn thing the next day responded, "Get the fuck out of here. What the hell is wrong with you bringing a damn baby into a diner. Are you a retarded bimbo?" Ha ha, I'll never forget the look on that chick's face. This 70+ woman, talking to her like that. The one and only time I have ever heard something negative about smoking... and my non-smoking mom reams the bitch out, ha ha. My whole family was cheering and scooting that woman out the door.

Jun 25, 2021
England
I have never had anyone say something negative to me while I was smoking my pipe.
Except one time, when my mother was closing her dinner to retire, my whole family was in there for the last day, all smoking pipes, cigars, and cigarettes and being loud. My mother doesn't smoke, BTW. Anyways, a lady who had brought in her infant to eat was setting in the back, by herself. She spoke up, "Excuse me, could someone open a door? I have a baby in here."
My mother, who was closing the damn thing the next day responded, "Get the fuck out of here. What the hell is wrong with you bringing a damn baby into a diner. Are you a retarded bimbo?" Ha ha, I'll never forget the look on that chick's face. This 70+ woman, talking to her like that. The one and only time I have ever heard something negative about smoking... and my non-smoking mom reams the bitch out, ha ha. My whole family was cheering and scooting that woman out the door.
Brilliant story, love it.
Wish I could have been there where to see it.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL

This story explains a lot. LOL I'm confident I would like your Mother. I suppose it must be my amiable, low key demeanor that seems to compel complete strangers to often share their dumb ass opinions with me.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
It seems to me that perhaps the dearth of visible pipe smokers is a lot to do with image.
People just don't want to be seen doing that old fashioned thing.

Personally I think it's a good thing to be seen doing.
or that it's just not super convenient. I think the death of wide spread pipe smoking has a lot to do with how many places you can't smoke. A cig only takes a few minutes so on the way to the store light up where as a pipe takes more commitment if you're going to the store you have to interrupt it. Back in the 90's when I started smoking I often said if you could still smoke most places I'd nearly exclusively smoke my pipe. In fact when ever I knew I was going to be somewhere I could smoke for an extended time I'd use the pipe not the cigs.

DAR

Can't Leave
Aug 2, 2020
Tiburon, California
I see people staring at me when I'm in my car, I almost always have a pipe in my mouth while I'm driving. I'm not much into strolling, sight seeing or hiking so my public time is primarily spent where smoking isn't allowed. I don't tolerate fools or busybodies very well so I don't bother smoking much in public to avoid being arrested for kicking some moron's ass who feels obligated to express their unsolicited opinion about smoking or lecture me on the evils of tobacco.
Wow! How impressive! :eek: You are such a macho man! ;) We should all remember not to give unsolicited opinions about smoking. hoosierpipeguy will beat you up....... ?
And if that doesn't work cosmicfolklore's mother will cuss you out! ?

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Growing up, my uncles were all pipesmokers, and when we would go to the General Store, there were always men lounging about smoking a pipe
Same with me. I’m a fourth generation pipesmoker in my family that I know of. That’s why I think the future for pipesmoking looks bleak. No twenty-something yr old with no family history of pipesmoking & whose spouse has no pipesmokers in their immediate family, will sustain it. For them it’s a passing novelty.