PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mranglophile

Can't Leave
May 11, 2015
United States
I thought that 10 To Midnight was supposed to be Russ' Penzance match.
I thought it was made for Charles Bronson.
p6944_p_v7_aa.jpg

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Cosmic, if the Citizens Against Tobacco group sees that pic of you with your force field down , you are going to be their poster boy for their anti pipe smoking campaign :mrgreen:

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Pleeeeaaase make Bengal Slices and Warhorse.
Warhorse is a winner! Now working my way through the John Cotton recreations and WOW THEY ARE GOOD!!. Bengal Slices later in the week.
BTW, 10 To Midnight is listed amongst the "match" blends and recreations as the Penznace match. Not that I care, 'cause I really detest Penznace.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
Actually, the "match" moniker for Ten to Midnight came after the blend had been released. I wasn't trying to copy Penzance, I just wanted to make a Latakia-based crumble cake. After it was released, a number of people chimed in saying that they felt it was a good alternative to Penzance (but I think that the Orientals are very different), so our marketing folk seized the idea and ran with it. Don't look at me...I just come up with the blends.
Russ

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
As a fan of almost all things Lat, and certainly 10 to Midnight, Penzance, Krumble Kake et al, I completely agree with Russ. As he points out, the Oriental components are quite different, and the component Virginias form different foundations and undertones. Even fresh 10 to Midnight suits my palate, whereas Penzance takes a few years to ascend to Nirvana.
Judging from Russ's work with the BS759 Throwdown and the various Match blends he has created, if he wanted to 'match' Penzance, he would come a lot closer than 10 to Midnight. These great blends are like comparing a Range Rover to a Porsche - they do both have 4 wheels, but there are big differences.
hp

les

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
I'll have samples of both blends shortly. Then it's just a matter of doing the work. Of course, since I won't have the exact same tobaccos that Germain has, it'll take some finagling to hit the flavor profiles, but that's part of the fun of an undertaking like this.
Russ

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Instead of making it on the island of Jersey, you could make it in Jersey City!
:rofl:
Oh Russ. From your work with H&H, your endeavors with Standard Tobacco to this, you just keep climbing higher and higher as the Godfather of Blending.
Thank you for all you do!

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
Although I'm not one to do backflips to acquire Penzance, I'm looking forward to seeing how this pans out. On second thought it will be yet another blend to add to the TAD list.

baccyfart

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 11, 2015
Go Russ Go! I can't wait to see what you come up with. I have confidence that it will be good!

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
Great news and thanks Russ for giving this your consideration and I for one hope this works out. If you even get really close considering the tobacco's needed, etc that would really be great. Now I know they won't be exact and I do not expect them to be, but worse case we get two really good blends and just think what age could do for them. I'll buy a couple pounds to cellar just to see what happens.
10 years from now I'll be the one with these aged blends and everyone will wish they cellared as well.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Russ, the only way to assure absolute success in this endeavor is to list the product on your website, but never actually produce it. That way, it will always be on backorder and from there, it's fame will grow and it's fans multiply. You can then pay me 10% of the gross (let's see...10% of nothing is...) as a consulting fee.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
Wow......just wow. It's amazing how receptive master blenders are to queries from the forum members and how everyone just does what they can to help out. My hat's off to you gentlemen and look forward to another masterpiece from Russ.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
10 to Midnight is one of my favorite all day go to blends. It's more stout and tastier than Penzance. You can actually find 10 to 12 in stock, so it must not be as good.
Commence Operation 79

nathaniel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 4, 2011
I love this place. This whole happening is inspiring. You simply just won't find this kind of thing in other circles. Hope there's enough for everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.