SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Mar 1, 2014
Er, that's subjectively, and in either case, I disagree. They may smoke all right, but they look poorly.
No handcrafted stem can match the quality of design in the airway of the injection molded 80 cent Missouri Meerschaum plastic stem.
We can scientifically measure aerodynamics, just because no-one has ever compared stems in a wind tunnel doesn't mean we can't figure out which is best just looking at the design principles.
And after your pipe is caked the bowl material is irrelevant to the smoking experience.

Sometimes technology makes the cheapest option the best option.

You might prioritize aspects other than smoking quality, sometimes I still do, but in the end you can't taste aesthetic preferences.

Last edited:

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
There is an awful lot of 'ruminating' going on here again! As to pipes it is purely a matter of personal taste. We all have a 'pet peeves' and I am far from not guilty in that regard as my views on Falcon Pipes and Royal Yacht are well known to the denizens of this forum. In the U.K there was a wonderful program on the wireless called 'Just a Minute' in which participants had to speak on a subject for one minute without using the same world twice. I believe regular appearances were afforded by such luminaries Kenneth Williams and Clement Freud. Smoke what you like and enjoy it while you can for tomorrow it maybe illegal my friends!

No handcrafted stem can match the quality of design in the airway of the injection molded 80 cent Missouri Meerschaum plastic stem.
We can scientifically measure aerodynamics, just because no-one has ever compared stems in a wind tunnel doesn't mean we can't figure out which is best just looking at the design principles.
And after your pipe is caked the bowl material is irrelevant to the smoking experience.

Sometimes technology makes the cheapest option the best option.

You might prioritize aspects other than smoking quality, sometimes I still do, but in the end you can't taste aesthetic preferences.

You project this notion that there is one true definition of quality for every pipesmoker to a humorous degree. I am almost envious of the comic genius… then I never see the punchline. I’m not sure whether to take you as a serious deranged person, or someone just playing the fool. If you’re playing the fool, take it from another fool, let up every now and then…. or else you will start to take the foolishness seriously. puffy

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
@Briar Lee , I'm beginning to think that you just might know the whereabouts of some Yocum silver dollars hidden about.

If'n you does, I'd say you are one mighty fine knowledgable person, gender specific not withstanding. That said, I'm thinking that them there Lee Pipes might be the hidden mine, if'n you know'in what I'm get'n at.

Right, still ain't no excuse for some of these bald nobbers round these parts of the this here forum to be think'n that you jus a be ruminat'in for no p'ticular reason when we alls knows that you have some mighty fine smokes in them there cherry lane blends.

Now don't mind me, I'm just enjoy'in the ride down the White River round Tanycoma try'n to hook me some brownies.

telescopes

@cosmicfolklore , Ef Ah had mah druthers, Ad'd druther see youz all natcherly bash yore haid o'ver with'n ya pipe. Amoosin' but confoosin it is, o'big sloppy beast of a red-blooded American boy, ya is. Ah has spoken! As any food kin plainly see, ah sees that it'za time for alls us good folks to rightly 'preciate the value of a good well made pipe, even if it'z n'xpensive. There'zn youz 'half it.

From your good friend in Dogpatch, USA.

@cosmicfolklore , Ef Ah had mah druthers, Ad'd druther see youz all natcherly bash yore haid o'ver with'n ya pipe. Amoosin' but confoosin it is, o'big sloppy beast of a red-blooded American boy, ya is. Ah has spoken! As any food kin plainly see, ah sees that it'za time for alls us good folks to rightly 'preciate the value of a good well made pipe, even if it'z n'xpensive. There'zn youz 'half it.

Not sure what you’re tryin’ to say, but I’m pretty sure you’re draws too tight. puffy

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019

Channeling your inner Samuel Langhorne, eh?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
L'il Abner....

Most folks here seem to weigh all aspects of a pipe as to how they judge it. At least reams of pages in the past seem to come to that.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
I admit to being fickle about two thing in pipes - (well, three if you count not buying any pipe that looks like a dong) and that is, I absolutely hate fill and don't smoke corncobs. Fill is usually barely visible and 99.99% of the time it almost never affects the way a pipe smokes. Even so, I can't stand it. A friend of mine has one of the most beautiful wives I've ever seen. One day she wore a low backed dress and had these 5 huge moles visible. That was the last time I was envious of him. A minor sand pit I can handle, but fill's are the big disgusting moles of the pipe world. Cobs I tried once and didn't enjoy the smoke compared to briar. I also didn't like looking like a male Grannie Clampett

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: OzPiper and jpmcwjr

telescopes

I admit to being fickle about two thing in pipes - (well, three if you count not buying any pipe that looks like a dong) and that is, I absolutely hate fill and don't smoke corncobs. Fill is usually barely visible and 99.99% of the time it almost never affects the way a pipe smokes. Even so, I can't stand it. A friend of mine has one of the most beautiful wives I've ever seen. One day she wore a low backed dress and had these 5 huge moles visible. That was the last time I was envious of him. A minor sand pit I can handle, but fill's are the big disgusting moles of the pipe world. Cobs I tried once and didn't enjoy the smoke compared to briar. I also didn't like looking like a male Grannie Clampett
Perfection, in my opinion, is an illusion and a perspective based solely on a criteria developed by flawed humans. It is over rated and limits the scopes of one’s opportunities. I prefer my journey to not be limited by barriers.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Perfection, in my opinion, is an illusion and a perspective based solely on a criteria developed by flawed humans. It is over rated and limits the scopes of one’s opportunities.

Yeah but since I have yet to meet any humans that even remotely approach perfect in my 58 years and I hate fill and big moles, I'm content to live without the pipes without fills or women that have big moles. When you consider that I'll be unlikely to meet a woman I'd replace my wife for and that I'll have a finite number of pipes during my lifetime, I'm ok with limiting the pool from which I choose. Call me narrow minded.

telescopes

Yeah but since I have yet to meet any humans that even remotely approach perfect in my 58 years and I hate fill and big moles, I'm content to live without the pipes without fills or women that have big moles. When you consider that I'll be unlikely to meet a woman I'd replace my wife for and that I'll have a finite number of pipes during my lifetime, I'm ok with limiting the pool from which I choose. Call me narrow minded.
Nah, one should always know one's mind and be comfortable with one's preferences. I commend you for that. For me, for whatever reason, a narrow road was one that never allowed me to feel unconstrained. One of my favorite pipes, a Sasieni 738 second, is loaded with fills. I've had it for years and it smokes better than any other pipe in the rack. I have had to have it repaired with a nickel band, but you know what - it is a war hero if there ever was one in terms of showing no quarter to tobacco.

telescopes

L'il Abner....

Somehow, knowing the Ozarks as I do, L'il Abner just seems appropriate on this thread. By the way, Ozarks is the correct pronunciation for the French words, but the wrong spelling. Aux Arcs. Missourians have a real issue with French words... Courtois River is pronounced Cote a Way. Go figure. I could go on, but I fear I might slip into my south Missourian accent, and that would make my children a bit embarrassed.

Reactions: jpmcwjr