PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
“It’s too risky. I could lose. Why play the game.”
If everyone thought this way, we’d still be living in caves in fear of being eaten. Everything has a risk.
But, as I said, just ruminating. I’ll smoke my aged tobaccos in my Beckers while Rome burns. Ha ha!
Lol!! Good Sunday morning neighbor..

If I lost my Ping Eye2 square grooved irons, that’s one thing . Losing a MM cob another….???

I’ll play my Horner Fiddle , thank you very much ??

Reactions: Briar Lee

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
The native Ozark American is a usually a mixture of Scotch and Irish, some little German and French in the blend, and there’s always sure to be a beautiful Indian Princess somewhere in the lineage, too.

I’m really heavy on the Scotch side, myself, a little French, and I had not one but two Indian princesses to brag about that surely would have made Sacajawea look like a bow legged old squaw, I was assured.

But I can obtain all the advanced degrees there are, and really I’m still just an educated Missouri Ozark Hillbilly, who but for the grace of God could have been born an Arkansawyer, and it was a mighty close ran affair I wasn’t.

My grandfather LeRoy Briggs had a brother named Elmer, who went bust in 1936 and his 60 acres sold for $200, at a public auction for back taxes, to a wealthy cousin. My father Bruce Alvin tenant farmed that 60 until hogs got high during the war, and that cousin made Daddy pay him $900 to buy it back in 1943.

Daddy said Uncle Elmer never saw Humansville again. He worked like a slave in the fields of another man near Bakersfield, California, until he and his wife Cora could buy a place of their own, but then Elmer died in 1946.

I love pretty things, and beautiful women, nice cars and trucks, custom suits, and fine shotguns.

I own about five dozen Three Star Grade Lee pipes that back after the war cost $600, then, and not much more than $1,200 today.

$600 then would have bought 40 acres of good farmland.

Ten times that might buy one acre today.

My Daddy said his mother had to be restrained from taking a gun and killing her husband’s beautiful sister Eva, who was the mother in law of the wealthy cousin that held up her little Brucie to pay $15 an acre for Elmer’s Sixty, and she had to have put him up to it.

One thing is certain sure.

When Adam woke up missing a rib but there beside him was a girl named Eve, he didn’t want his rib back, no he did not.

The Good Lord didn’t give Adam an ugly woman. Adam knew beyond any doubt, that there really is a God.

But the first time he went off to enjoy his pipe, guess what happened when he returned?

I ruminate about this as I walk Elmer’s Sixty, and don’t spend very much for my early Nording SON stamped straight grained brandy snifter pipes.

The taxes come for the farm come every year, in November.

My wife is beautiful, but she expects those taxes to get paid, you know?

Last edited:

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Flawed pipes
Cheap pipes
Expensive pipes
The only pipe that's worth a damn to me is a good pipe.
Some are, some ain't.

Agreed 100% and this is the logic I apply to all my interests.

For example, with watches, there are a lot of guys who like dive watches that have both a $300 Seiko SKX and a $9,000 Rolex Submariner in their collections, and wear and enjoy both. I’d take the $300 Seiko over a $7,000 Hublot because I like Seiko and don’t like Hublot. Don’t care if the finishing etc is better on the Hublot. I like the Seiko’s style.

By way of comparison, in my liquor cabinet, I’ve got a $25 bottle of Buffalo Trace, a $50 of Old Forester 1910, and a $90 bottle of Lagavulin 16. They’ve all got their place, and I would not want to let any of them go.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
Agreed 100% and this is the logic I apply to all my interests.

For example, with watches, there are a lot of guys who like dive watches that have both a $300 Seiko SKX and a $9,000 Rolex Submariner in their collections, and wear and enjoy both. I’d take the $300 Seiko over a $7,000 Hublot because I like Seiko and don’t like Hublot. Don’t care if the finishing etc is better on the Hublot. I like the Seiko’s style.

By way of comparison, in my liquor cabinet, I’ve got a $25 bottle of Buffalo Trace, a $50 of Old Forester 1910, and a $90 bottle of Lagavulin 16. They’ve all got their place, and I would not want to let any of them go.
You forgot the 12 year old George Dickle…??

Reactions: lawdawg

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Since my GGG Grandparents were kicked out of Scotland ca. 1740, I've come to learn that the preferred term is Scots or Scottish.

Scotch (the whisky) originated there.
The Missouri Hillbilly (Ozark American today) pronunciation is Scawtch.

At my office I still refer to clear tape as Scotch Tape,

There never was any reference made to us actually migrating here from Scotland, either.

We migrated here from what’s now West Virginia, Kentucky, and Tennessee.

Before all that we were told our mother country had been England, and not Great Britain or the United Kingdom or Wales, Ireland, or Scotland.

But then one hardy ancestor at a time moved West, in search of cheaper land and all those beautiful raven haired Indian princesses with coal black eyes, so many Pocahontases the land was brimming with them.

We sang this now politically incorrect song in school, fifty years ago.

RED WING

We were always just thankful, that we at least weren’t Arkansawyers, Oakies, or Jayhawkers.

We were privileged to have been born in the Missouri Ozarks.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I suppose it's all in the nature of the flaw. A crack in a pipe never gets better. So that might be a deal breaker for me, though I obviously don't have any issue with "signs of use" with the vintage pipes I have.

Your "significant other" might have some slight physical "imperfection" and that doesn't matter at all. But then you find out that they've just returned from pulling a train with the entire soccer team, and that might be a deal breaker.

I have no problem with buying a floor "demonstrator" rather than brand new. My folks would buy the "demonstrator" off a car lot because that instantly knocked 20 to 25% off of the price. Something about surviving the Great Depression taught them the beauty of utility. I have that passed onto me. I'll buy "used" any time it provides a value for the money. And I'll also open the wallet and spend on the best quality when It's a good value for the money.

Surface flaws don't much matter to me, but structural flaws do.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
The Japanese concept of wabi sabi and the Persian carpet/rug weavers who would deliberately include a flaw into their creations (in the believe that only the Almighty could be perfect) had it right after all.

Just ruminating ?
Or more likely with the second example a concept from marketing. Oh that's not a flaw because these things are too complex to not have a flaw at least at the rate we put them to market... it's intentional.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
So... you aren't Dan Howitt!

You aren't related to Harold Wright by any chance?
In the hills of life there are two trails.

One leads to the higher sunlit fields where light lingers long after, the sun has set.

The other leads towards the dark lonesome valley, where those as they travel look always over their shoulders with eyes full of dread, and the light fails long before the sunset.

Harold Bell Wright, was a hillbilly deluxe.

Those are the opening lines of Shepherd of the Hills, as I remember them.

We memorized most of that book along with the Gospel of Matthew , and other fine works of literature.

We’ve not adopted the metric system either, around here. And we get a lot of pleasure singing the tragic songs of life.

And we do indeed have lots of pretty girls, too.

TEEA GOANS
From St. Clair County

She sings how we talk.

And we like it.

• Love
Reactions: telescopes
Mar 29, 2016
I hate flaws on pipes especially high grade ones and I can't stand fillings on any pipe. Now if I buy such a pipe for whatever reason, a momentary lapse of observation skills per example, it'll be used in settings where it might get damaged or lost and I won't lose any sleep over it.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I hate flaws on pipes especially high grade ones and I can't stand fillings on any pipe. Now if I buy such a pipe for whatever reason, a momentary lapse of observation skills per example, it'll be used in settings where it might get damaged or lost and I won't lose any sleep over it.
This is why I get to buy gorgeous straight grain Nording carved brandy snifter pipes for $35.

A brand new $35 Dr Grabow will be flawless, and look great, but not exactly the same as an early SON marked large brandy snifter, to me.

A SON marked brandy snifter is a company pipe.

It’s the kind you smoke when you have company over to the house.:)

Mar 1, 2014
I’m having to rethink a conversation I had with @lawdawg on the art thread. People wearing pj’s to Walmart… maybe all of this hipster BS has led to decline in quality of civilization. When I first got here on this forum it was all, S.Bang, Eltang, and some of the most beautiful pipes ever made. Now, its all corncobs and Grabows? Ha ha.
In college, I worked my way through with the grounds crew. There was a wirey old man named Mud who would tell all of us students that we would be happier in life if we lowered our standards, “fat girls and ugly girls make better lovers and are easier to leave.” We of course laughed at the guy, because his head would follow those round women with big 80’s hair and wearing their dresses like a coffee table.

I don’t disparage Dr Grabow, a working man’s pipe. I have one of my uncle’s Grabow Starfires. And when a renowned pipemaker got on a corncob thread here years ago, and chastised us for celebrating a pipe that was no more regal than a pair of dime store flip flops, I saw these days coming.

We are a culture that celebrates participation over winning. Look, I got me a fat ugly girl!! I’m going to get a job that I can wear a tshirt to work and cut off bluejeans. Why strive to better myself, when I can just wear boxers and some old rag of a shirt out to Walmart, and then to dinner at Waffle House. PBR for life!!!

Ha ha, for the record, I don’t really have anything against cheaper pipes, and it’s great that someone loves a flawed pipe. If we all defined beauty the same way, the human species would die out…. But…. I was just ruminating. puffy
Cobs are still objectively the best smoking pipes ever made.

If you want to win, stop throwing your money away.