PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidsaulmarshall

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 18, 2019
Cambridge, MA
Hello all,

I've been lurking around the site for the answer to a question I've had for a while: is it better to age blends in their original (vacuum-sealed) European tins or jar them?

From what I've read, tobacco needs a bit of air to begin the fermentation process, and so many on the forum argue against vacuum-sealing blends in mylar pouches and the like. Why is it then that most advocate for ageing tobacco in European tins which are also vacuum-sealed? Surely it makes more sense to replicate the environment found in an American tin (akin to those from McClelland/C&D) by securely jarring the blend and putting it away?

jzbdano

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 7, 2016
Jars are probably more reliable as far as the seal but I am not about to start popping all my tins and transfering to jars. I figure I will buy more tobacco than I'll smoke in my life so if I lose a small percentage of my tins to a failed seal it won't be a big deal.

davidsaulmarshall

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 18, 2019
Cambridge, MA
I've put all my tins in sealed, mylar bags. Best of all worlds. Jars are great, but come with some overhead: they break if dropped, and they take up quite a bit of space.

Are the mylar bags vacuum sealed? I've heard of their use, but I'm not clear on the environment within them.

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
Since I buy the majority of my tobacco in "bulk", it ends up in jars. The few tins that I do buy stay in the tin, so I can try to compare the difference someday. All my unopened tins will stay in the tins, especially english/Balkans. Honestly, I think Va-heavy blends will age better in glass jars with some air. That's my belief anyways. Probably no real noticeable difference either way, realistically.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
To me, nothing shows the difference between exposure to O2 and less O2 than a McClelland tin compared to a C&D tin.
McClelland tinned tobacco in a low O2 environment. If you open a ten year tin of say, McClelland Va#27, there seems to be less change than I would expect to the tobacco. Many have notice C&D tins seem to puff up quite a bit, quite early in the aging process. I personally have never seen a McClelland tin exhibit that same puffiness. The O2 captured inside the tin must be the difference. I don't have a great deal of tobacco in jars but, I do have a pound and a half of 2015 from 2009. I also have tins of St. James Woods from the same era. Although they aren't precisely the same blend, I look forward to a side by comparison sometime in the future.

Mike S.

boston

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2018
Boston
I vacuum seal square, round and rectangular tins using meal saver bags and vacuum machine (seal-a-meal type of thing). Tins from McClelland etc I leave as is and store in a dry cool cellar. I do not transfer to jars until opened. Some of these tobacco's, now discontinued, are quite valuable and can lose some/much of their value to certain collectors if not kept in original tins.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Are the mylar bags vacuum sealed? I've heard of their use, but I'm not clear on the environment within them.

Sealed? Yes. Vacuumed? No.

It's a heckuva a lot easier to just leave the tobacco in its original tin and put 4 tins or so in a bag and seal it than it is to transfer to jars. Plus jars are heavy and the break easy. I put my sealed bags in plastic totes which helps keep everything in good shape and makes it easy to move around:

img_20191207_172734089-jpg.11373

If those totes were full of glass jars they'd be pretty dang heavy!

biodarwin

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 11, 2019
Indy
One thought here is headspace. In a jar, you have varying headspace. Nothing is ever "empty", whats not filled with tobacco, will be filled with air. An american sealed tin (as described above) with a small amount of oxygen is great, it's just enough to kick off aerobic fermentation. Once the oxygen is gone, anaerobic fermentation continues, which will also feed on some of the by-products and is something completely different. Once you pop the lid, the entire environment changes. It will continue to age in a jar and it will most likely be great, but it will never be the same as if you left it in the tin. Most of this is referenced from writings from G.L Pease and some basic chemistry research.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Most of this is referenced from writings from G.L Pease and some basic chemistry research.
Greg's changed his stance on aging in tins. He found too many failures with the square tins in his cellar - he's been cellaring for decades - and now recommends jarring as soon as possible and then letting the tobacco age in the jar.

davidsaulmarshall

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 18, 2019
Cambridge, MA
Thanks for all the information guys. I was asking this question because I've been thinking about how to age the four or five tins of Sutliff Cringle Flake I purchased this holiday season. For reasons too complex to explain, I won't see these tins for at least 3 years, so I think I'll just jar them together and seal the mason jar with some wax.

Reactions: anotherbob
Status
Not open for further replies.