PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Placing the P4P archives here at PM.com is just an outstanding offer by Kevin!
My old newspaper tossed most of its hard copy files a dozen or so years ago when it went to a digital "morgue" format. Morgue is generally referred to as a newspaper's library.
Now, my old newspaper says it is going to do away with even what hard copy it saved and is going to digitize the newspaper each day.
Good luck with that!
Glad to see that Kevin and others understand that we are losing the print world in a serious way. I hope books, newspapers, magazines and other print matter will continue to find a place in our reading culture. And I wonder what the internet digital world is having on the creativity it takes to write thought-provoking works? The Internet is just fabulous for research, but it takes down and dirty work to write the good stuff.
Passion for Pipes is a great example of what I'm talking about. Neill is an excellent writer and P4P deserves to be printed and archived. Thanks, Kevin!
Okay. I'm off my soap box.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
I'd love to Neill's work saved here.
He thought and wrote about pipes and all things related in a way that transcended the pastime and implicated fundamental and important things. I enjoyed his site a lot, and i hope we will continue to hear form him, one way or another.

Dutch Pipe Smoker

(arno665)
Apr 3, 2013
The Netherlands
dutchpipesmoker.com
I am hoping the site of Neill can be saved.. I can't imagine a pipe-smoking world without it. All the information, images etc. I can't imagine him just throwing away all he has worked for all those years. I mean, when I think of all the hours I spend in the making of my blog, I really don't want to throw that away. Ever! Luckily I have a free Wordpress site. The only money the blog costs me is to keep it ad-free. But when I decide to quit the blog will stay there for as long there are free Wordpress sites. Only with ads..
And Kevin: :clap:

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
My advice:
Set up a 302 redirect to the new site :)
And listen to more Pestilence, Asphyx, Gorefest and Sammath, of course!

halfy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2014
Does someone know what happened to Nick of qualitybriar?

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Does someone know what happened to Nick of qualitybriar?
It was a convergence of family business matters that needed attending to and Nick encountering a number of PipeWorld frustrations. In short, his priorities shifted.
A big loss to the hobby, imo. Nick was/is always good for his word and consistently went above and beyond for his customers.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The only development I've spotted is not a positive one. His site can no longer be accessed from versions archived on the Wayback Machine. I had been able to pull off some articles shortly after the announcement of his site closure. But recently I was no longer able to access the archives and was informed by its administrators that those archives had been sealed by request, which I assume to come from Neill.
I'm sure that something is afoot, but for now that site is history.

carver

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
I had been able to pull off some articles shortly after the announcement of his site closure.

Would you have pulled anything about Author Pipes, by any chance ?

carver

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
why making things unavailable ? simply because there is a book is the works ? doesn't seem so to me

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
sablebrush, I heartily agree that there are vast fields of material on internet that desperately need to be deleted, certainly "most" of it, whatever that means. But the option to retrieve material is central to having a viable and authentic history. One small example from the Ken Burns documentary on the Civil War (and that has good aspects and bad ones, be sure) I savor and take to heart the point that the officers with their fine, up-to-date fountain pens at the time wrote letters in ink that often faded almost completely over time. Whereas the poor farmer and working class enlisted men dying like flies on the battlefields mostly wrote their letters and diaries in pencil, which if the paper holds up, remains perfectly legible. Speaking of the durability of various platforms. Of course, everything we post on Forums will be forever maintained and treasured in closely maintained servers and the cloud. We'll all be remembered endlessly into the future as sages of the briar.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Yes, Neill was hinting about a Passion For Pipes book for several years, I suppose sealing his archives is simply protecting the material of his hopefully upcoming book. This is actually good news. Why buy the cow, when you can get the milk for free?

bryguysc

Can't Leave
Feb 4, 2015
You might be able to find archives here.

https://web.archive.org/web/*/apassionforpipes.com

It was loading, but very slowly.

Status
Not open for further replies.