PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
https://web.archive.org/web/20160323005019/http://www.apassionforpipes.com/
I wouldn't count on this archive being available forever. If whoever owns the domain makes changes to the robots.txt, Archive.org deletes the older material. The domain is up for grabs in August.

The cost of server fees, domain names, constantly having to mess with removing junk from codes, and various other crap that comes up from having a website. It's a hassle. IMO. I could see whereas it could become too much. But, yeh I loved that site. Great stuff. Someone should start a website history site, where you can park old webpages that merit being preserved for antiquity.
Funny, "they" tell us that everything we do online will be out there forever, but...

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Neils site was a pleasure, and I'm sorry to see it go.
"Passion is fleeting. It's love that is everlasting."
True dat.

But love won't pay the bills. either.
As for online longevity, Jesse has it right. No such thing. I have clients who's only archive of photography and video is online. Decades worth of material that defines their institution. Every photo that they've hired me (and others) to shoot over the years is entrusted to an online service. I've tried to dissuade them from the practice, but until that online service goes bankrupt, has a fire, or gets hacked Nigerians and they lose everything, they refuse to pay for adequate on-site backup.
Everything is temporary, it's just a question of how long and when.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
The issue with online material is that once posted online, you do not know who has copied it.
Longevity is just like in the physical world: requires someone paying for it and maintaining it to keep it alive.
My advice to people is always to get source documents. No one wants to do so. Reason: offices are so dysfunctional that people usually lose it anyway, after having paid extra for it. Better to just do it again.
Rome 2.0 jive

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I was just following up on sjfine's comment. Handy pro-tip: if you paste those articles into Microsoft Word, you can easily make a PDF. This is now my favorite way of archiving websites.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Go to the web page and highlight the content you want, then CTRL-C (or other copy command).
Open a new Microsoft Word file, paste it in.
"Save As..." and select format PDF.
I do a couple additional steps to remove gunk code and formatting, but that's the basics there.
Alternatively: save page from browser, open HTML file using MS Word.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
First the internet destroyed newspapers, magazines and real journalism. Now it's devouring itself.

As a retired journalist/photojournalist and a former magazine editor I am saddened anytime the written word that was carefully researched and published becomes lost to society.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
When Gary Schrier asked me to write an article for him, he touched on the impermanence of the Internet. Digital information comes and goes but paper lasts longer. Enjoy Pipedia while it's here. There's no reason to expect that someday it won't go the way of Passion For Pipes.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Every website depends on the funding and time of those who maintain it. People almost universally take them for granted, because they are accustomed to ad-subsidized content like on TV.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
I'm talking to Neill right now.
He IS working on a book. The site might get restored onto our server here if he wants to do it.
I have to see if I have enough space on the server as he has 13-years of content, including photo galleries.
I'll update later.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Great! What a "save" of an excellent reference and a boon to pipesmagazine as a (the?) center of pipe culture. Glad to hear about the book too -- saved to paper again.

owen

Part of the Furniture Now
May 28, 2014
That's great news Kevin and absolutely right to do this as the site is too good to lose. Frightening to think how quickly a wonderful resource can disappear.

Status
Not open for further replies.