PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Here's one way for a big pushback. Simple to explain, hard to implement:
Get all the major US blenders to get together to contract for 6,000 tons of Virginias, 8,000 tons of burley, 500 tons of perique, etc. Etc. Order together as a coop. If not known now, it will soon be known who the good farmers are, and they'll want in on this for the premium price.
All I want from this is a case of tobaccos from each blender in this new coop.
(And the figures above are WAGs. Not even guesses, just numbers.)

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
@Brightleaf

What episode or date was the radio interview?
Episodes 200 & 202.

http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/radio-talk-show/the-pipes-magazine-radio-show-episode-200/

http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/radio-talk-show/the-pipes-magazine-radio-show-episode-202/

jeremyreeves

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 14, 2015
As laypersons in the art of blending, I doubt we see the whole big picture. It may be that the VA's they are now finding will not produce the taste outcome they seek, but will still create the desired outcome of another producer. As their processing is unique to themselves, we don't know what form of voodoo they doo...
+1

thesillyoldbear

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
As laypersons in the art of blending, I doubt we see the whole big picture. It may be that the VA's they are now finding will not produce the taste outcome they seek, but will still create the desired outcome of another producer. As their processing is unique to themselves, we don't know what form of voodoo they doo...
Kind of like beef. A certain cut will still make my tacos turn out well, but may leave your Wellington dish not great.
+1

tedswearingen

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2010
Longs, South Carolina
I doubt we see the whole big picture. It may be that the VA's they are now finding will not produce the taste outcome they seek, but will still create the desired outcome of another producer. As their processing is unique to themselves, we don't know what form of voodoo they doo..
+1

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
Mike and Mary have exacting standards for the leaf they use for 5100, but that doesn't mean that there isn't good red Virginia out there. All it means is that what they can currently get won't produce the results they're looking for when they process it.
+1
Russ

menuhin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2014
Here's one way for a big pushback. Simple to explain, hard to implement:
Get all the major US blenders to get together to contract for 6,000 tons of Virginias, 8,000 tons of burley, 500 tons of perique, etc. Etc. Order together as a coop. If not known now, it will soon be known who the good farmers are, and they'll want in on this for the premium price.
All I want from this is a case of tobaccos from each blender in this new coop.
(And the figures above are WAGs. Not even guesses, just numbers.)
Most of the pipe smokers are not enthusiast or eager enough to get their hands dirty, simply like every sheep in the society - will not react until being pushed closer to the edge of a cliff, let alone one can still survive quite well without smoking a pipe. Well, one can survive quite well without drinking coffee, eating chocolate, consuming so much sugar, etc. too.
Apart from the coop idea, there can also be "local organic tobacco farm subscription", just like farm subscription, can be biannual or quarterly. And the subscriptions of farms can be national-wide.

shaneireland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 14, 2014
Conway, SC
www.smokingpipes.com
+1

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
That's what I figured. Taste Taste Taste glad I never got into McClelland Red Cake and fell in love with it.

brightleaf

Sep 4, 2017
Thanks for the radio show links Kevin. I downloaded them and have them ready to play for the daily commute. Pipesmagazine has done a lot to provide us with the ability to know what's going on.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
A lot of good information here, 5100 and CC just the first to fall. We probably won't know the effect of FDA until five years past 2021. Many blends existed before 2007, but deeming is just part of the antis shutdown strategy of raising costs for the smoker and their winning efforts for tobacco not to be grown at all. As you know, the target is Big Tobacco, but they have shown their resilience, paying the punishing fines and legal fees by higher costs to the cigarette smoker. For Greg Pease to stop blending is a telling comment on the health of pipe smoking.

jon11

Oct 25, 2013
I just bought another dozen tins of Red & Black because I recall Mike saying that it was made up of the finest Red Virginia he had or has ever had. I have to agree, I love me some Red & Black!!

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Bummed to hear that some of these fabled McClelland Virginia blends are disappearing. For some odd reason I decided to work through McClelland's Virginias this year as much as I can. I'll probably order two of the tins on the list of blends that are going away so I can have one now and store the other away for a special occasion.
Glad to hear that Mike and Mary are holding to their standards and aren't putting out a sub-par product just to make sales. Kudos to them for that.
As The Stud mentioned, I hope this amazing leaf doesn't end up going the way of the Latakia one we just lost.

docwrite

Lurker
Oct 25, 2009
Vancouver, BC, Canada
I'm crushed.

Not only do, (did), I use 5100 as the base of many of my own blends, it has been my 'go-to' tobacco for a lot of years. I've always trusted Mike and Mary wouldn't distribute a sub-par tobacco, but quality red Va becoming so scarce as to kill off such a popular product doesn't bode well for a lot of us without well stocked cellars. I generally only smoked Syrian Latakia. I hate it when options are extinguished.

I can only hope the McNiels can find a supply in the future and resurrect 5100.

Requiescat in Pace, Red Cake Virginia.

*sigh*

-doc-

glpease

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 17, 2010
California
Russ wrote:
Mike and Mary have exacting standards for the leaf they use for 5100, but that doesn't mean that there isn't good red Virginia out there. All it means is that what they can currently get won't produce the results they're looking for when they process it.
Absolutely right. The sky is not falling. There's more to the story, but that quality leaf is unavailable is a gross overstatement. We recently went through several samples of currently available red flue-cured that were fantastic.
I'm sorry to see ANY tobacco taken off the market, especially one with as many followers as 5100. But, it's NOT the end of the pipe tobacco world, and shouldn't be read as such. Nor will we cheapen our products with "inferior" leaf. Period.

raevans

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2013
Greg, I am so glad that you chimed in on this one. I'm sure that there is quality leaf still available, but is it more along the lines of there not being enough of the quality leaf to produce the quantity needed to sustain the blend?

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Now that the Dark Lord himself has spoken, we get another top blenders input into the subject of Red Virginia. I had a feeling there was more to this story.
So Greg, how's about spilling the beans as to what is really going on out there. I am sure there is a conspiracy to be had on this subject. Maybe there is some nefarious individual who is hoarding all the good red virginia. Maybe he or she has decided they want to attack the McClellend family so they cannot produce their much beloved 5100. Maybe a disgruntled employee has taken sides with their competition. Maybe that person has run off with the recipe for 5100 and is holding it hostage. :crazy:

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
It’s the aliens I tells ya. They didn’t come to earth for our water or a carefree weekend of probing the unsuspecting. Nope, their anti-grav drives are powered by 5100. It’s plain to see people, just open your eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.