PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaneireland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 14, 2014
Conway, SC
www.smokingpipes.com
While I've got you...I read here that Cherry Cream Flake has been discontinued. Please, tell me that isn't so...please.

Mike S.
So, I've checked on our end and it does appear that the Cherry Cream Flake is not currently available in the US. I'm not sure if that does indeed mean it has been discontinued by the manufacturer, but I'll see what I can find out.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
So, I've checked on our end and it does appear that the Cherry Cream Flake is not currently available in the US. I'm not sure if that does indeed mean it has been discontinued by the manufacturer, but I'll see what I can find out.
Thank you. That would be very disappointing news. Dark Flake and the like give me the "green queezies" but Cherry Cream Flake makes me happy.

Reactions: dcon and BROBS
Oct 7, 2016
This has been discussed before in other threads, but the so called list of discontinued blends only applied to the U.K. market. Chris (or Rachel) Gawith explained this more fully yet again yesterday on another forum.

Thank you for all your comments. I can assure you we do have the world wide web here in Kendal. And we do try and keep on top of the comments, rumours and points made on forums and social media. I think the matter has already been answered very well by one or two commentators. But to reiterate:

- No product has been de-continued as such. We have simply decided not to hold stock of certain lines that did not sell in large amounts in the UK MARKET. However, these products are still available if the retailer wishes to order the minimum quantity. In the UK this is 5kg minimum order.

- This decision effects the UK market ONLY and not export. The export market works with different quantities and each country has different requirements with regard to packaging, labels, warnings etc. All importers in all countries have the list of all products available and can order those (so long as the minimum requirements are met). So if a product is not available it is simply because the importer has not ordered it.”

So, if you want Rich Dark Honeydew, Grasmere, Cherry Cream Flake, or anything else that didn’t show up in this shipment, send a nice email request to customer service at SmokingPipes. I did and got a very prompt response. But more is better.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
@shaneireland since you're here, and I consider you a primary source, I wanted to ask you a few questions about this most recent Gawith Hoggarth allocation.

[1] Is this the only allotment that will be sold via Smokingpipes in the near future? Might more appear next week? Month? In the summer?

[2] Will other retailers receive Gawith Hoggarth tobacco during this recent distribution?

[3] With what regularity can we expect to see reallocations of Gawith Hoggarth to retailers? (e.g., this is all there is until more is imported in 6 months; this is part of a large import stock that will be parsed out frequently and with regularity throughout the year).

I'm just seeking a little more information regarding the planned availability of the tobaccos, as there has been plenty of speculation and rumor circulating on the internet about everything tobacco-related, but very little of it has been substantiated by primary sources (like you, for example).

Switching gears somewhat, I'd love to try some of the Bosun Plug, but I'm not about to stay awake until midnight while furiously pressing "refresh" in a mad dash to buy some. If that's what's in store for 2021 I'll have to pass.

Oct 7, 2016
2] Will other retailers receive Gawith Hoggarth tobacco during this recent distribution?
If they order it they will. I know that Watch City and CupoJoes placed orders on 1/5 with Laudisi.

Parliament voted today for a national lockdown that, as far as I can tell from the sources available here in the US, is as strict or stricter than the one they were under in the Spring. The government can keep the lockdown in place without further action by Parliament as long as 3/31. GH was able to operate in the Spring lockdown, but only at reduced capacity. Whatever the plans were for more frequent shipments, which I believe was contemplated on both sides of the Atlantic, might have to be adjusted.

Last edited:
Reactions: bent1 and BROBS
1. I got the email from SmokingPipes @ 12:40 AM
2. This year, I am trying to get to bed by 11 PM most days, so I saw the email in the morning
3. Ennerdale was still available in bulk, but not in tins. By the time I figured that out, Ennerdale was sold out both as bulk and as tins
4. Bob’s Chocolate ? Flake was also out - but it was not in my high priority list anyway
5. Did not see Sweet Coconut Twist
6. The high-Nic tobaccos were available- Stocked up on Dark Flake Aromatic, Dark Flake Unscented and Dark Birds Eye ? ?

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
The toppings on Bob’s Chocolate and Bob’s Square Cut are very different.
Not according to GH. And I sure as heck can't tell much difference.

Gawith Hoggarth & Co.: Bob's Square Cut​

Product Number: 005-001-0020​

This is Gawith, Hoggarth & Co's fine cut mixture of Virginia, Latakia and Burley tobaccos, with chocolate, cocoa and vanilla flavorings. This is a similar blend to Bob's Chocolate Flake, but with a square cut and slightly different flavorings.

Oct 7, 2016
Not according to GH. And I sure as heck can't tell much difference.

Gawith Hoggarth & Co.: Bob's Square Cut​

Product Number: 005-001-0020​

This is Gawith, Hoggarth & Co's fine cut mixture of Virginia, Latakia and Burley tobaccos, with chocolate, cocoa and vanilla flavorings. This is a similar blend to Bob's Chocolate Flake, but with a square cut and slightly different flavorings.
Most folks think the toppings in BSC are more floral forward than BCF. I think the difference is pretty overwhelming, particularly when fresh.

Status
Not open for further replies.