PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

AKinser79

Might Stick Around
Aug 3, 2021
Central Florida
Okay I have a few perhaps absolutely stupid questions about my clay pipes. I've had some for years but recently I've been smoking them a great deal more than my usual practice of merely using them to sample tobaccos (having found a couple larger bowled varieties).

Over all they have the driest smoke I've ever smoked, ever, and I tend to prefer cobs which can be pretty dry. I really like this, as I've never heard a single gurgle out of my clays. Indeed the clays seem to be almost "self-cleaning" which is a good thing because I certainly wouldn't want to run a pipe cleaner down the stem.

One in particular I've smoked quite frequently though has started to develop a slightly rank (well used taste) that is detracting from my pipe enjoyment (and one of the main reasons I've started liking the clays so much is the absolute pure tobacco taste). I assume this is from the pipe absorbing tars, oils and moisture from the tobacco as it is burned as this particular pipe has started to change color from white to black in some places and a dark grey along the heel and on the stem toward the bowl. I have included a picture. Yes, I have taped the stem back together too. It was a quick and dirty fix after Mrs. Kitty decided she didn't like said pipe on "her" dining table and swatted it off for it to fall on the floor and break. Thankfully the brake was clean and on the stem and a little scotch tape had her smoking like a champ again. (doesn't look as cool but smokes just fine and that's what matters).

So my questions are as follows:

1. Do clay pipes absorb the tars, and moisture from smoked tobacco?
2. Is the external black tar like substance something that occurs naturally with clay pipes--IE is a consequence of smoking the pipe and will happen (or am I just lucky and got a quirky pipe)?
3. Is the color change on the stem a result of the pipe absorbing tars, oils and moisture? (I'm assuming the "well smoked flavor" is a result of tar residue as the same will actually sour a cob or briar).
4. Except for putting the pipe in a self-cleaning oven (which I have but don't really trust) could I clean this pipe by say wrapping it in tin foil and placing it in the coals of a fire. How were clay pipes cleaned, if at all, back in the days when they were popular. (I assume that clay pipes are kiln fired and kilns regularly get over 1000 degrees F)

20211223_183810_HDR.jpg20211223_183818_HDR.jpg

Reactions: Valaam and kurtbob

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
ALL pipes accumulate tars and rank crud in their airways.

You could try deep cleaning the airways with alcohol/Everclear soaked pipe cleaners.

But given their low cost, I'd get some new ones.

AKinser79

Might Stick Around
Aug 3, 2021
Central Florida
The old way to clean them was to put them in a fire to burn off the tars. I haven't had to clean mine yet, but when the time comes I plan to use a mini blow torch.

I thought fire would probably be the method used. I've seen several videos of people cleaning them using a gas stove (which I don't have) and have heard of people using fire. I'm not so much concerned about achieving the bone white color as I am removing the well smoked tastes.

My working idea would be to wrap the pipe(s) in tin foil and then place them on the coals of a charcoal grill after I'm done cooking with it. The coals will smolder quite hotly for hours afterwards.

I might also try using a blow torch too. I have one for culinary purposes.
Oven on self clean? Never done it myself

I haven't either. But I've seen it done in videos and read about it online. I don't really trust my oven at home so if I did use an oven I'd probably have to take the pipe to work. Which is not exactly something I really want to do. Too many busybodies at work and such.

Reactions: kurtbob and Duck

kilroyjune6

Might Stick Around
Dec 25, 2016
Putting it in the fire is the best way. A blow torch will work, but you have to be careful to heat the pipe evenly, or it could crack. With the grill, it's set it and forget it. Wrapping it in foil isn't necessary.

I've also done half-cleaning, where I put it in the toaster oven. It doesn't get hot enough to burn up all that tar, but it will sweat it out, which is an improvement. Looks like hell, but it's good in a pinch.

Piping Abe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 27, 2021
Georgia, USA
Good tips from Missouri Meerschaum here, now that they make clays.

Click Here

7.) To clean a clay pipe, gently wipe out the bowl with a slightly damp rag, or, for deeper cleaning, set it on the very top rack of your oven, as close to the top as possible, and set the oven to “Self-Cleaning” mode. This will eliminate any residue left in the pipe.

F4RM3R

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 28, 2019
Canada
I just flush mine with hot water and use a thinner non tapered pipe cleaner to scrub out the shank and bowl. It’s a bit messy but it works and less risk of breaking the pipe. But if you can’t fit a pipe cleaner then I guess it’s the oven/fire method.

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
You can use a gas grill, charcoal or resting on coals of a wood fire. Done it a million times. Don’t wrap in foil, it has to get hot enough for the tars to burn off and evaporate. Hell, sometimes I use my propane fire pit on the back porch! Just make sure the entire pipe is being heated not just the bowl or stem….the tars just migrate to the cool areas. Mine always come out bright white like new?

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Back in the day they used have this wrought iron basket thing that they laid the pipes in and then left over the glowing embers of the fire over night. I used to chuck mine in the embers of my coal fire before going to bed at night during the winter with the glazed tip poking through the grate. In reality since I used to break so many it really didn't matter. I believe the average heavy Victorian smoker would blow through about 100 pipes a month which was about what I used to do.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Back in the day they used have this wrought iron basket thing that they laid the pipes in and then left over the glowing embers of the fire over night. I used to chuck mine in the embers of my coal fire before going to bed at night during the winter with the glazed tip poking through the grate. In reality since I used to break so many it really didn't matter. I believe the average heavy Victorian smoker would blow through about 100 pipes a month which was about what I used to do.
The ultimate disposable pipe.
Cheap enough to buy by the gross
Ah for the days of tavern maids and valets to look after our pipes ?

Reactions: jpmcwjr and kurtbob

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I would buy a box of 100 mixed clay pipes from Gordon Pollock for Ten Pounds. The box would arrive with the pipes packed in sawdust in the Friday afternoon post in the first week of the month. They were mainly plain 'cutty' pipes but some had jockey heads, some of the pipes were shaped like a horses leg. I guess it was whatever he had on hand. He knew I smoked them and that longevity was not a major concern so I think a lot of mine were 'seconds' since I would plough through a 100 in a month quite easily. My mates would also help themselves to pipes as well so I never really had a good tally of my monthly casualties although my late Mothers garden is still littered with broken clay stems!

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
I would buy a box of 100 mixed clay pipes from Gordon Pollock for Ten Pounds. The box would arrive with the pipes packed in sawdust in the Friday afternoon post in the first week of the month. They were mainly plain 'cutty' pipes but some had jockey heads, some of the pipes were shaped like a horses leg. I guess it was whatever he had on hand. He knew I smoked them and that longevity was not a major concern so I think a lot of mine were 'seconds' since I would plough through a 100 in a month quite easily. My mates would also help themselves to pipes as well so I never really had a good tally of my monthly casualties although my late Mothers garden is still littered with broken clay stems!
@condorlover1 You got through more clay pipes than me:)
Happy Christmas ???
New Year resolutions:
1) Don't fall in any rivers.
2) Don't break any more pipes:)
Where I live there used to be a pottery, brickworks and a clay pipe works.

AKinser79

Might Stick Around
Aug 3, 2021
Central Florida
You can use a gas grill, charcoal or resting on coals of a wood fire. Done it a million times. Don’t wrap in foil, it has to get hot enough for the tars to burn off and evaporate. Hell, sometimes I use my propane fire pit on the back porch! Just make sure the entire pipe is being heated not just the bowl or stem….the tars just migrate to the cool areas. Mine always come out bright white like new?

I don't have a gas grill so I'd probably be using my charcoal one for this purpose. I tend to grill rather frequently so my plan would be to cook first and then when finished I can use the residual coals to clean the pipes. I'd have to break out my infrared thermometer to tell you exactly how hot that grill gets but I suspect it would suit my purposes if a wood fire will work too.

I'll have to run an experiment I guess. I'll probably use the broken one first, if it gets more broken I can just chuck it without feeling too badly. If it comes out nice and clean it gets taped back up and put back into circulation.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and kurtbob

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
I don't have a gas grill so I'd probably be using my charcoal one for this purpose. I tend to grill rather frequently so my plan would be to cook first and then when finished I can use the residual coals to clean the pipes. I'd have to break out my infrared thermometer to tell you exactly how hot that grill gets but I suspect it would suit my purposes if a wood fire will work too.

I'll have to run an experiment I guess. I'll probably use the broken one first, if it gets more broken I can just chuck it without feeling too badly. If it comes out nice and clean it gets taped back up and put back into circulation.
That’s what I do when I use my charcoal grill. Just put a little extra charcoal in. After cooking I’ll just set the pipes on top of the hot coals pushed up in a good pile and leave them till it burns out and is cool. Dust the pipes off and you’re ready to go!