PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Lyon0oq

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 31, 2012
New Providence, NJ
1. Gently knock ash from the bowl as you smoke, especially with larger pipes
2. I smoked for almost 15 years before understanding what a pipe tamper was really for, and how to use one correctly... don't be like me, YouTube is your friend.
3. If you don't like a tin when you pop it, let it breathe fora a few days. Still don't like it, toss it in a mason jar and revisit in a year. Still not doing it for you, swap it with someone. Great way to get to know your fellow pipe smokers, and discover new blends.
4. Go out of your way to support your local brick & mortar. Less is be gone the next time you need it, or the pipe section swapped out for a vape selection.
5. Never, ever, EVER, talk Politics (or even make a joking reference towards Politics) in these forums. Never. Ever.

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
I'm going to paraphrase and condense @sablebrush52 comprehensive guide to pipe smoking,(see here) and add some of my own thoughts to it as well.

1. Your pipe isn't expensive enough.

2. Your tobacco is too readily available. Unicorns are the only ones worth smoking. That's why they're rare.

3. Smoke as fast as you possibly can so the tobacco won't know what hit it, and won't have time to activate its tongue bite self defense mechanism.

4. If your tamper and other accessories aren't the same brand as your pipe, it'll spoil the flavor of the tobacco.

5. Don't make any pipe related decision, not matter how small, without consulting the forum, youtube videos, articles or you'll screw it up. Pipe smoking is very serious business and it takes years of dedicated practice to hone the skills necessary to enjoy the flavor and experience of Tobacco smoke. None of us ever enjoyed a bowl until we've had at least 5 years of smoking under our belts. This is too serious a task to approach willy-nilly in an effort to find some simple enjoyment and relaxation. Do not mess this up.

Misanthrope

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2020
Texas
-All tobaccos have a sweet spot where they’re not too moist or too dry. It’s worth taking the time to find it…and when in doubt, lean towards the drier side.

-Pack lighter than you think you need to

-Sip, don’t rip. You also don’t need to smoke all the way down to the bottom on a single light. It’s not like you’re gonna find a prize at the bottom, and it’s okay to stop when it stops tasting good. If it goes out, it’s not a biggie…the pipe police aren’t gonna drag you off to pipe jail for relighting too often.

-Don’t be ashamed of what you like or pay too much attention to Internet conventional wisdom about things like OTC tobaccos are bad, aromatics are bad, or whatever. Try what sounds good and smoke what you like.

-You don’t need to spend a lot of money on a pipe to get a better smoke. Buy whatever pipes speak to you, and you’ll find at least one that you like.

-Bonus: Don’t force yourself to smoke anything unpleasant. If it burns, bites, or whatever, put it aside for a while. You’d be surprised how often a few months in solitary can improve the personality of a formerly disagreeable blend.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
1.sip. people say smoke slow I say smoke gently.
2. don't worry about trying everything instead focus on a smaller number blends to get more familiar with.
3. there are no magic pipes some are better then others but no pipe can fix bad technique and even if a very expensive pipe is better it's not going make much of a difference to you yet.
4. time pipes are about time. Taking time. It's a slow journey not a marathon. Smoke with patience. Move through blends with patience.
5. advice is just that. Not rules. It can be very helpful but none of it has to be followed. Listen to us old farts but don't think anything we say is gospel.

Reactions: tklee

Franco Pipenbeans

Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
If you could give 5 pieces of advice (only 5) to a new pipe smoker, what would you give?
1) Buy some samples of different tobaccos, find something you like.

2) Have a look on tobacco reviews.com and learn about the blends you like, this will lead to the tobaccos you might like. It’s similar to liking a band or a musician; a little research will tell you who they were influenced by and, before you know it, you have yourself a decent playlist going.

3) Don’t go mad and drop silly money on an expensive pipe straight away - they get mislaid and lost, as sunglasses do, so don’t buy any Ray-Bans just yet - you can get good pipes for less than £20. Get one of these so you don’t lose the plot when it gets left somewhere.
4) Dry your tobacco slightly before use - some blenders are wetter than others so experiment with what works and what doesn’t. Moisture can lead to tongue bite, dryness can lead to flavour loss but you might find you like this. if you leave your tobacco in the tin it will dry out so invest in some jars to keep your tobacco in.
5) Take your time, it’s a marathon not a sprint, and it’s you doing the smoking so smoke what you like, how you like it. Try something a few times to see what works; I love a Guinness and have had conversations with other people who have said they have tried it and it tasted disgusting. On further inspection they have had a badly served pint that has put them off it forever - don’t let one bad experience put you off but understand that if you’ve tried something a few times, and you aren’t getting on with it, it might not be for you.

Reactions: anotherbob

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
1. Never buy a Peterson, unless you wish to be the laughing stock of the forums .
2. Light your pipe, not your eyebrows , moustache etc.
3. Never use your pipe as a weapon, unlike me who once socked a guy in the face with a war club sized Charatan.
4. Never light your pipe with a Zippo.
5. Best not drop it.
if you buy a peterson you'll soon learn that their the punching bag brand for lots of people. Something goes wrong with one of their pipes and it's "typical" happens with other brands at the same frequency roughly and it's a huge anomaly. Every brand seems to put out clunkers or at least what some people don't like.
And zippos are great for pipes, you just have to actually follow the directions.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
1. Never buy a Peterson, unless you wish to be the laughing stock of the forums .
3. Never use your pipe as a weapon, unlike me who once socked a guy in the face with a war club sized Charatan.
5. Best not drop it.
Haha, I usually light my Petersons with a Zippo!

Jun 21, 2021
Illinois
5. Best not drop it.
What’s wrong with a Peterson?

Reactions: orlandofurioso

Sidehatch

Jan 30, 2022
Colorado
Not gosh darn tootin thing In my opinion. But then again I’m new and only have one from the 1980s. It’s a terrific smoke. Although it seems newer ones may have some issues from what I’ve gathered going through some threads. I say activate the PAD and pick one up and take it for a stroll. You like it great. If not, sell it.