PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Don't buy too many blends at once.
Don't buy any blend in quantity, even if you like it; your tastes will change.
Anything you don't like, jar it and try it in a year.
Try examples of all Virginia and all burley, since these are the base leaves in most blends.
Don't fret about relights or unburnt tobacco (dottle).

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
1. Experiment with moisture levels and packing densities to learn what works best for you.
2. Take your time and be patient with the process.
3. Keep your pipe clean, and clean after you use it.
4. Relighting is fine. Smoking a pipe is not a stunt.
5. Figure out what you want to get from pipe smoking and learn what you need to learn to attain that goal.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I've learnt more about pipes, tobacco and smoking in the short time I've been a member here, and enjoy smoking much more now than the 1st 15 years of pipe smoking in the '70s - '80s

Don't be afraid to ask questions. And lots of them.
Expect to have your tail yanked from time to time.
Overall they are a great bunch of guys here. ?

Just don't mention water flushing. Or the quality, or lack of thereof, of Petersons. ?
If you do, make sure you have your Hazmat suit on for the ensuing shit fight. ?

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
1. Don’t start with super wet aromatics. They will bite you and potentially turn you off from pipe smoking altogether.

2. When the time comes for your first briar, invest in a quality, factory-made pipe as opposed to a basket pipe. Basket pipes can be poorly drilled and if you have no reference point for how a quality briar pipe smokes, you may think that you’re doing something wrong in your smoking, when it’s actually the pipe itself.

3. Straight pipes are easier to clean and drill correctly, so understand that if you start with a bent, there may be more issues with moisture.

4. Don’t worry one bit about dottle. I have at least some dottle in 99% of the bowls I smoke. As someone who smokes multiple bowls a day, I’d rather leave the last bit to dump out than risk lighting wet tobacco and blowing out my palette for the rest of the day.

5. If you’re a multi-bowl a day smoker, I would suggest at least 4 pipes. If you have 4, you can rotate between two different pipes a day while the other two rest so that each pipe gets a 24-hour break. I like to wait until there’s no more visible moisture in the bottom of the chamber before smoking the same pipe again that day, which usually takes 30 minutes to an hour or so. I would even recommend this for cobs but you could get away maybe with two cobs and just rotating daily between the two of them.