PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Harris, by the time I sent it to you, I'm confident it will all be gone anyway. It was just an offer of a gift to a friend to enjoy 1.75 oz. I'll try to remember to bring some the next time I vacation in FL. I realize you're already sitting on top of several hundred pounds of 10 year old aged stuff, ain't no big deal to you. To us normal folks, it is a bit of a treat. :puffy:

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Mark, next time you come over I would be interested in trying it. I don't know at 26 a tin if it will sell as quickly as people think. I hope it sells quickly before my TAD gets the better of me.

Aug 6, 2019
I thought I would re-review this tobacco feeling I missed something with a premature one angled approach. For those that found the cedar overbearing I found dry time reduced the cedar making it more balanced. Still I would prefer it without I suspect. This might be blasphemy to some, but I tried a bowl with a pinch of D&R decade perique. The real flavors of genuine perique helped distract me even more from the cedar. Hopefully next year they can offer more ornate tins instead. That being said I would still buy the cedar box version if I hadn’t an alternative choice.

I found some interesting complexity with this. First 3-4 bowls I have smoked were dry. I felt it was savory like a hearty soup, with occasional sweetness. A whiff or two of oriental type (though it does not have any orientals). I smoked it fairly wet today, and the flavor profile was mild and sweet, much different when I smoked it drier.

ormazd

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 12, 2018
Virginia, USA
Mark, I appreciate the offer but I cannot try anymore tobacco. I don't need another blend to load into my cellar. I am done buying unless the tobacco is aged, oh wait, this is aged ten freaking years, oh no.
I have to be strong, as much as I would love to try it, I would hate stocking 50 plus tins.
Harris,

LMK if you need help getting rid of some excess aged tobacco. I'll bring a U-Haul down.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I'm not sure how anyone is tasting cedar. The tobacco is actually placed inside a wrap of gold like tinfoil. It is not touching the cedar. I've smoked many a cigar left in a humidor touching the spanish cedar for years and years without detecting any cedar. I could be wrong but I doubt this 4th Generation Special has been sitting in these cedar boxes for 10 years. And I have no idea how significant cedar notes are passed given how it is packaged.

Aug 6, 2019
Anyone ? Prior cedar and Woodsy comments ? History of preferring jars to humidors on forum ? We will just have to agree to disagree at this point. After all it’s just opinions. Let me just say I’m not a paid shill. I’m not saying you are too. Just saying. I have 6 or so pounds of rope tobacco and other Lakeland products. I also dearly love some Stokkebye products. That said why did McClellands put stave in a blend if it didn’t impart character. The same could be said for bourbons and many other barrel aged beers. Every action has an equal and opposite reaction. I digress. It’s all in one’s own palate. I was simply trying to help those in my position while not damning the product completely. Like I said, I will still buy it no matter what.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
The stave McClelland put in the blend was from a whiskey barrel. And it actually touched the tobacco. In fact, it was surrounded by it.
If you think you tasted cedar, then so be it. Spanish Cedar is used in humidors to absorb moisture, not because of any aromatic quality. I have 5 humidors with cigars in them, some have been in there for well over 5 years, some more than 10 years. I've not heard of people using a humidor for long term tobacco storage but I suppose there are some that have at least tried it.
I shouldn't have said anything, I apologize. Everybody's taste is their own and subjective.

Aug 6, 2019
No no no. You very welcome to your opinion and palate. As I am mine. This is what the readers want it, opinions . As do I. I started several forced Virginia fermentation exceleration forums on this site. Please join and share. I think this is an important topic for Virginia lovers. Peace.

twoonefive

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 6, 2014
Willow Grove, PA
pipesandpens.com
FYI: I had an empty one as well. I let SmokingPipes know and they are taking care of it. This is a very good blend and, cost aside, I am enjoying this a lot and glad I was able to get it. I dont get any cedar myself but I let it dry out for at least an hour considering its a Gawith blend and they are usually very wet.
I am contemplating how to store this long term and wondering if mold in the box would be a concern? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Looking forward to reading other reviews and impressions as more people get into it.

goldenmole

Can't Leave
Aug 4, 2019
Copenhagen DK
Stupid question: Isn't this a danish company with roots in the beautiful small city of Odense? How come then we don't get this special edition in DK? Or is the whole 4th Generation line made primarily for the north American market?

spartacus

Lifer
Nov 7, 2018
Mesa, Arizona
I bought quite a few boxes. I opened one for smoking and the others for the cellar. I vacuum sealed them up in Mylar for storage. Looks like I'm going to have to open them and check to make sure there is tobacco inside. Maybe I'll just weigh each box instead of opening them.
I have smoked quite a bit of the open box. I really enjoy this blend and I do not get any cedar taste whatsoever. I'm leaving mine in the cedar boxes for storage.

twoonefive

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 6, 2014
Willow Grove, PA
pipesandpens.com
Thanks Spartacus, I'm going to do the same and just vacuum seal them as is. To figure out one was empty I shook them all and could tell if tobacco was inside them. Hopefully you don't have to open them all and reseal.

Status
Not open for further replies.