4Noggins - Tobacconists - Missing In Action?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
Well that stinks. I had just placed a few fairly large orders to re-stock here and they came through fine (this October).

The service has been headed in a downward trajectory if you need to communicate about anything. Now I'll have to revise my statements about not hearing anything about people being ripped off. Hopefully it was an honest mistake or some key information was left out.

Perhaps the new owner has other things going on and this is just a very minor side job. Sort of seems that way. It's a pity.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I just sent an email to 4Noggins, expressing my sadness that they want to go out of business. No business seeking to survive and grow would be engaging in the sorts of customer mistreatment that is being reported, therefore it must be that they want to go out of business.
I wished them good luck with their next venture.
Jesse, that was freaking great, I love it.

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
As in you don't get dinged as often as you would if you used the more expensive option? Wonder why that would be? Do you keep the orders small?
As a general PSA to Canadians I would say keep your orders small and inconspicuous as possible—I see no benefit in paying for express shipping—and be prepared to pay duty and service fees on a random basis. If the fees are unreasonable (which sometimes happens) you can tell Canada Post to return to sender, and if the company you ordered from is an honest broker, they'll likely refund you the cost of the product (sometimes minus a restocking fee) and you'll lose out on the shipping cost. Some orders will make it through unscathed and you can rejoice in paying 400-500% less for tobacco. If you have to pay duty and the customs office isn't being unreasonable, you're probably still saving money. Bulk tobacco is easier to import than tins. Never try importing more than 200g at a time, and it's probably safer to halve that.

[For the naysayers, I am highly doubtful that government employees have the time nor the interest to be spying on a pipe forum. Do you think the border agents care about anti-tobacco propaganda? No. They just have a job to do and surely bigger fish to fry with the meth and opioid epidemic that's ongoing. Tobacco importation is LEGAL. The basic fact of the matter is, with the sheer bulk of cross border traffic between the U.S. and Canada, they can't possibly inspect every single envelope that comes across the border. It's luck of the draw, plain and simple.]

geoffs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 21, 2022
Ontario
FWIW, recently I had to contact 4Noggins about a package that was delayed and stopped at the border and got a reply within hours. I've put through maybe 15 orders so far this year and no problems at all, I'm very happy with my experience with them.

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
FWIW, recently I had to contact 4Noggins about a package that was delayed and stopped at the border and got a reply within hours. I've put through maybe 15 orders so far this year and no problems at all, I'm very happy with my experience with them.
I'm glad to hear that. Maybe all the complaining going on about them on this forum will have a positive effect. Talk about bad PR.

• Angry
Reactions: Beowoulf

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
So I just checked out 4noggins Facebook page. Things do not look good. Things do not look good at all.
I haven't checked out their Facebook page. What's going on? Sorry if my post above made you angry. It's just nice to hear when people aren't get screwed. I hope it all works out for you.

vink

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 31, 2015
Longueuil, Quebec
I haven't checked out their Facebook page. What's going on? Sorry if my post above made you angry. It's just nice to hear when people aren't get screwed. I hope it all works out for you.
Just checked out this morning nothing out of the ordinary on the fb page, I don’t understand the situation…

Reactions: Winnipeger

Beowoulf

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2022
Just checked out this morning nothing out of the ordinary on the fb page, I don’t understand the situation
@vink Hi Vink. On the facebook page, didn't you see all the complaints lack of communication and no delivery of products? Maybe I'm off. I'll have to go back and check it again.

Reactions: kola

vink

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 31, 2015
Longueuil, Quebec
@vink Hi Vink. On the facebook page, didn't you see all the complaints lack of communication and no delivery of products? Maybe I'm off. I'll have to go back and check it again.
Aaah I did not check that. I thought you meant they were closing. They had their lot of complaints since they change owners, but never had a problem myself…

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
So what I’ve learned from this thread is they are a small 2 person operation, they will sell you anything on the site even if they don’t have it, if they have it you’ll get it, if they don’t have it good luck because they ,ost likely won’t be returning inquires. The only time i ordered from them was a couple months ago, just a couple tins, clearly they had them in stock because i got them a couple weeks later.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I don't really understand the situation. The vendor in this case will try to sell things they do not have in stock. Back ordered item will take forever to the customer. The customer is not getting any response back from the vendor. The customer is upset. The solution is rather simple. Call the credit card company and report the problem and get the fund back. If you have to have the items ordered even if you're getting upset, sit and wait to see what happens. I know getting tobacco in Canada is expensive and sometimes needlessly complicated, but it won't solve the issue keep on complaining about it. Cancel the order, or wait it out. I've cancelled orders with vendors not responding often enough. I have other vendors who would bend over backwards to get my business.

Nitrane84

Might Stick Around
Jan 10, 2022
Chatham-Kent
I use 4noggins often. Shipping is usually prompt and it gets to me in SW Ontario quicker than other retailers in the US. That being said I have found ordering under 20 USD from other retailers gets tobacco in quickly. Some of them offer extremely cheap shipping without tracking.

The thing is I live in Canada and I am always ready to eat the taxes. If you're not I'd suggest you bite the bullet and order domestically. You'll pay more but recieve what you ordered or you'll pay customs and maybe save 15 to 20 percent from buying domestically.

Unfortunately the powers that be have deemed pipe tobacco the devils weed

• Wow
Reactions: Beowoulf and geoffs