PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
When Florida put on an 85% tax on the wholesale price of pipe tobacco back around 2009 and zero % on cigars I knew eventually pipe tobacco was going to get screwed every which way as they have shit for a lobby and they aren't paying off the right people. Their lawyers are for shit and if this bill passes you can kiss a lot of your favorite blends good bye as mfgs are not going to send much tobacco to a country with this kind of taxation just to watch it sit on the shelves with no one buying it.

Effortlessdepths

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2020
Micanopy, FL
Add a vacuum sealed to that list (if you don’t have one already) and a good supply of micro-channel domestic vacuum sealing bags - unless you are going to go pro and get a chamber vacuum sealer and use Mylar without the spotted plastic.

with whole leaf, the most important factors I have found is time and a way to press. I would assume that its will not be impacted by any tax changes, as it is not a tobacco product, so maybe it would be better to use the funds for commercial blends this year.
I have Tupperware bins that have gasket seals, I've just been putting the tobacco in there, still in the bags they came in. Would that not be enough? I have a vacuum sealer for meats, with rolls of plastic for freezing and whatnot. Is that what you're talking about? And thanks for the tips

indoeuro

Jul 30, 2019
Central Texas
An interesting aspect to this proposal is that it’s not intended to prevent smoking or fund smoking cessation. The taxes are actually purposely for increasing revenue to fund other agendas (whether you agree with agenda or not is of no consequence to the holistic purpose of the increase). If they are utilizing the taxes to actually raise spending money, that would lead to believe that they have less interest in blocking tobacco access much further. As it’s anticipated as a payoff measure, they need to ensure that revenue comes in for the 10 year expectation of the plan. Wanting increased revenue would lead to believe they don’t want tobacco use to decline all that much more or that would run against the tax flow increase want.
This is exactly correct. Anyone with an internet connection can look up the financial straits that S-CHIP and the various State programs that relied on tobacco taxes for funding are in. It used to be well understood that direct taxation very quickly results in less of the thing being taxed.

Reactions: fireground_piper

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
This might sound horrible and selfish, but I hope this bill passes so I can end my TAD disease and stop buying more tobacco that I'll never get to smoke. I bet others are in the same mindset as me, weather they want to admit it or not.

I hear you. The whole thing feels like icing the kicker. Fishing in the rubicon. All these provocations but no fulfillment!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
This might sound horrible and selfish, but I hope this bill passes so I can end my TAD disease and stop buying more tobacco that I'll never get to smoke. I bet others are in the same mindset as me, weather they want to admit it or not.
I'm just buying for fun now. My closet will easily outlive me twice over. Killing tobacco sales will diverge my spending to more twisty puzzles.

Screenshot_20211003-224215_Samsung Internet.jpg

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I have Tupperware bins that have gasket seals, I've just been putting the tobacco in there, still in the bags they came in. Would that not be enough? I have a vacuum sealer for meats, with rolls of plastic for freezing and whatnot. Is that what you're talking about? And thanks for the tips
Those bins will be sweet for storing whole leaf - I’m assuming you open the bags upon arrival and ensure they are in low case before storage?

Yes that vacuum sealer is exactly what I’m talking about. When I have made a blend, or am wanting to age homegrown, I vacuum seal it in a higher case than I could get away with in a normal container. This prevents it from growing mould, the higher moisture content allows it to age, and the vacuum pressure itself maintains a press on the leaf which I have found to be beneficial.

for longer term storage in vacuum bags I don’t use the food saver plastic, but for anything up to a year I’ve found them fine

edit: do you remove the stems from your leaf? And do you purchase whole leaf perique?

Effortlessdepths

Feb 7, 2020
Micanopy, FL
Those bins will be sweet for storing whole leaf - I’m assuming you open the bags upon arrival and ensure they are in low case before storage?

Yes that vacuum sealer is exactly what I’m talking about. When I have made a blend, or am wanting to age homegrown, I vacuum seal it in a higher case than I could get away with in a normal container. This prevents it from growing mould, the higher moisture content allows it to age, and the vacuum pressure itself maintains a press on the leaf which I have found to be beneficial.

for longer term storage in vacuum bags I don’t use the food saver plastic, but for anything up to a year I’ve found them fine

edit: do you remove the stems from your leaf? And do you purchase whole leaf perique?
I did check to see how moist the leaf was and it seemed fairly on the dry side, I'm assuming that's what case level. I have not removed the stems yet and the leaves have been in the bags they came in (I resealed them after sampling) and in that gasketed bin. I have yet to order any whole leaf perique but it's on the list. And I'll keep that in mind about using the vaccuum sealer for pressure - I was wondering how the hell I would press whole leaf in these noodle presses.

Reactions: Ahi Ka
Haven't we all been planning on the FDA tobaccolypse already? I mean, I have been living as if by last August there would be no more pipe tobacco ever again anyways... So, any other threats to tobacco should catch no one unprepared.
They could remove all tobacco from the market, and it would affect the way I smoke at all.

If you are not prepared, get prepared. That is on you. We have been talking about this coming since I've been on this forum. You'd have to be a moron to not see the writing on the wall.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I have enough to out live me at this point so I am just going deeper with the occasional new blend purchase. I have lots of jars in storage totes and honestly see it as not an issue to have the bulky storage. I like to jar in the 125 ml little jars to make sampling easier. I think it's time to get some mylar bags for my tins. I haven't used mylar bags yet and have a ton of questions. I'll probably start a thread this week lol.
Rant over.

All this talk of "my tobacco stash will outlive me."

Not to sound morbid, but is there some kind of group responsible for distribution of said tobacco stashes that outlived their owners?
My instructions are to incinerator my tobaccos and pipes along with my remains. I'll be taking them with me. puffy

Singularis

Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
Bro, the more you order the more you save!
Indeed: the way the tax increase shakes out, it's effectively doubling the price (where the avg. ounce costs about $3 between bulk and tin purchases). So, however much you spend, is how much you save. Buy $200 of tobacco today, you've saved $200 by not waiting until 2022!

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
Indeed: the way the tax increase shakes out, it's effectively doubling the price (where the avg. ounce costs about $3 between bulk and tin purchases). So, however much you spend, is how much you save. Buy $200 of tobacco today, you've saved $200 by not waiting until 2022!
And find the savings where you can. My wife wanted me to get a tin of Scarecrow so I topped off that order with 2 other tins and a pound for that free shipping. I’m saving us money!