PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

hiplainsdrifter

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 8, 2012
Got it!
P1070297_zpsdlcy7b8o.jpg
[/url][/img]
Wow. Too many blends to count, after a quick sort, I have a pile of about 1/3 of the box that I want to try:
P1070300_zps1sdhlp3g.jpg
[/url][/img]
Still over 30 blends, which is a tall order for someone who normally smokes 1-2 bowls per week. Tongue don't fail me now. I started with House of Calabash For Meerschaums Only Select. Wow, what a smooth, well blended mixture. I can already see why this stuff is so highly regarded, despite its insane price, and the fact that it is very hard to actually reach Steven Books to order it. Both flavor and room note are on the subtle side though, more for the experienced palate. I am not sure what I would compare it to, maybe Tilbury? Pretty unique, the perique shows itself well throughout the bowl, and the Orientals make the flavor complex, albeit subtle.

hiplainsdrifter

Jan 8, 2012
Bedtime bowl of the War Horse match prototype. DANG. Good stuff. Great body, robust flavor,another unique smoke. I understand that the original was a pretty brutal nic-hit. This match definitely has a nicotine punch, I probably won't be going to bed for a while now. Virginias are definitely holding the reins with this one, but I am unsure of the other components. It has an earthy freshly cut hay fragrance that I really like. Woodsroad, care to enlighten us of the basic components of this mixture?

hiplainsdrifter

Jan 8, 2012
Tried Gawith 1792, meh. Escudo is one famous blend that surprisingly I haven't had, although I have several tins aging in the cellar. I was shocked on how flat this one was for me. It might have been an off bowl and I will try again, but I MUCH prefer my current favorite VaPer, St. James Flake. The House of Calabash That First Pipe of the Day was pretty good, golden Virginias being the main player, definitely on the lighter side taste wise, which makes sense given the name. The Sullivan Special Mixture was OK- I think the latakias have faded a bit too much, but it is still pretty tasty, just kind of one dimensional.

hiplainsdrifter

Jan 8, 2012
Deception Pass- WIN. This is a really good vaper, and is the first thing that I have tried from the box pass that I definitely plan to cellar. I also tried the Bengal Slices match- a bit hard to burn well, a good latakia blend, reminds me of some of the Capt. Earle's stuff. The House of Calabash Cornwall was ok, but kinda boring compared to For Meerschaums Only. The 07 Christmas Cheer is very good, seems like it is peaking maybe? One of the best Christmas Cheers that I have tried.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Hiplains, I have not tried the Sullivan's as of yet (I held on to a bit before sending it!), but my experience with aged tobaccos is consistent with your findings. In doing the research for the new Standard Tobacco reissue of John Cotton's, I found that Latakia/VA/Oriental blends do not fare well in the long term. The Latakia fades, the Virginias get sweeter, but lose flavor, the Orientals lose their tang and the blend becomes homogenous. Exactly when this begins to happen, I do not know. There is certainly an upside to the aging curve, when the blend improves. But they invariably plateau and then decline. I have some Esoterica Margate, packaged in the old silver foil bag. I don't know how old it is, but it has declined so far as to be unpleasant to smoke.

hiplainsdrifter

Jan 8, 2012
Mostly latakia blends left to sample. I tried the Davidoff Medallions, the Pelican, and the Blackhouse. All were good, all I could live without though. I have some Blackhouse cellared so I will revisit it someday.

hiplainsdrifter

Jan 8, 2012
OK, I am not sure I can fit my contributions in the box it is so packed, but either way I am ready to pass it on. Who is next? I will need to pass by Wednesday, as I will be out of town for a week or so after that.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
My apologies, been busy with work and I have not kept up with the thread. Please note that when you are ready to move The Box, you are supposed to message me! We'll work this out...