1920s Loewe "Elton" with Sterling Band--The Puzzles Posed by a Not So Benign Century of Use

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

guylesss

Can't Leave
May 13, 2020
Brooklyn, NY
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

Periodically (over the past dozen years) the riddles of my only vintage Loewe (acquired for a modest sum on Ebay) have nagged at me.

The pipe is clearly a Loewe of the Haymarket era that began decently in life. That much is clear.

But decades of buffing briar and polishing silver, and (I presume) replacement of the tenon--quite possibly by a machinist rather than an artful restorer, and certainly not Loewe itself) leave me baffled. And pose riddles that I'm hoping that some of you may be able, mildly intrigued by, and amenable to answer.

First puzzle is the name "Elton" still faintly legible. Maybe the Loewe Pipe Packet (which I would certainly buy if I owned other Loewes or saw some new vintage Loewes in my future) records such a model, but I've found no reference searching elsewhere. My first thought was perhaps some part of the lettering had been buffed away, but the clear serif font is unmistakable--and it's not, for instance, a "Captain Bolton" nor a "Walton."

Next puzzle is the hallmark. The hand drawn facsimiles in Tardy's International Hallmarks (which I do own as an invaluable, regularly consulted reference) are usually terrifically helpful with blurry date codes (even when proceeding by process of elimination). On this occasion, however, I'm confident only that I'm looking at a lowercase letter (with a strong straight stroke parallel along left side and another at the top). Unfortunately, London used lowercase codes 1896-1915 and 1916-1935, so really no help at all for narrowing the date of a Loewe band. The silversmith's mark here "AD" (rather than BD) might conceivably be a tiebreaker--at least if anyone here knows the nitty gritty details of the Dumenil family's pipe mounting business (and what mark was used when).

Finally, there is the solid brass tenon (Really???). The best that can be said for it is it fits. But at least to my own very novice Loewe eye everything about the stem screams DIY replacement, and the original must have had a more graceful line.

Pictures below. Questions will be fielded as well as I am able. And above all, the thoughts and speculation of my expert Loewe betters enthusiastically welcomed.

Attachments

• Loewe 3 name.jpg
    Loewe 3 name.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 37
  • Loewe 2 hm.jpg
    Loewe 2 hm.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 44
  • Loewe 1 tenon.jpg
    Loewe 1 tenon.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 42
Last edited by a moderator:

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Meltons were Sasieni pipes. Are there any other discernible stampings on the pipe? I'll just Google the "Melton" to see if the script of the letters match. Beautiful pipe by the way!

Reactions: guylesss

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Meltons were Sasieni pipes. Are there any other discernible stampings on the pipe? I'll just Google the "Melton" to see if the script of the letters match. Beautiful pipe by the way!
Melton was a town name era Sasieni model, a straight bulldog. (Shape 78 on earlier pipes)Sasieni_Melton_Ruff-Root_01.JPG

Reactions: trubka2

guylesss

Can't Leave
May 13, 2020
Brooklyn, NY
Gentleman, thank you indeed. The only stamped nomenclature that has survived clearly is an L & Co within an oval with o raised and underlined. So, not a Sasieni (but maybe, to speculate wildly, the sort of trademark issue that if Sasieni already had such a model in its line being offered for sale, it would have been a strong motive for Loewe to change this model's name to something else).

Aug 1, 2012
I have to point out that the hallmarks are not Loewe hallmarks. Or at least I've never found a connection between AD and Loewe. It's quite likely with the replacement tenon came the band. It does look to be a band made in the '20s-30s. Plus, that looks more like a Birmingham hallmark to me than a London one...at least from the pics. That would make it 1925-1939 and most likely 1932 or 1936 from the wear on the left side of the hallmark.

EDIT: The age of the band in this case means very little as bands have been salvaged and transferred between pipes for decades.

Reactions: guylesss
Aug 1, 2012
Melton is a pretty common British name to put on just about anything so I wouldn't associate it with only one pipe company.

guylesss

Can't Leave
May 13, 2020
Brooklyn, NY
I have to point out that the hallmarks are not Loewe hallmarks. Or at least I've never found a connection between AD and Loewe. It's quite likely with the replacement tenon came the band. It does look to be a band made in the '20s-30s. Plus, that looks more like a Birmingham hallmark to me than a London one...at least from the pics. That would make it 1925-1939 and most likely 1932 or 1936 from the wear on the left side of the hallmark.

EDIT: The age of the band in this case means very little as bands have been salvaged and transferred between pipes for decades.

There is also an L&Co on the band, as there should be.

And yes, I too see just the hint of a capital "M" (slightly bigger than the rest of the letters, not a practice it seems with more recent Loewes where the lettering of names is uniform). So, Melton sounds likely.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
I think the AD hallmark is from,

A.D into a rectangle
Auguste DREYFUS trading as DREYFUS & CO - London: London hallmark
Auguste DREYFUS trading as DREYFUS & CO - London
Auguste DREYFUS trading as DREYFUS & CO - London: London hallmark
CHE
LON​
pipe mounters

TOBACCONISTS, PIPE MAKERS AND MOUNTERS HALLMARKS: A - http://www.silvercollection.it/DICTIONARYTOBACCONISTA.html

The date letter on the far left is very difficult to discern, but it looks like it's from the London 1916-1935 series of codes. A k (1925)...?

English silver marks: the guide to hallmarks of London sterling silver - http://www.silvercollection.it/englishsilverhallmarks.html

I do like your avatar picture of Edward Albert Christian George Andrew Patrick David.

guylesss

Can't Leave
May 13, 2020
Brooklyn, NY
Next puzzle is the hallmark. . . The silversmith's mark here "AD" (rather than BD) might conceivably be a tiebreaker--at least if anyone here knows the nitty gritty details of the Dumenil family's pipe mounting business (and what mark was used when).

Correction: to set the record straight, the silversmith's mark often seen is RD not BD (Robert Dumenil, who took over the family business in 1895). Apologies.

guylesss

Can't Leave
May 13, 2020
Brooklyn, NY
What an exhilarating three hours--thank you all so very much for so generously sharing your knowledge. Wow. (And, yes, first thing tomorrow morning I'm ordering a copy of the Loewe Packet.)

Status
Not open for further replies.