1920s Loewe "Elton" with Sterling Band--The Puzzles Posed by a Not So Benign Century of Use

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Great question, and I don't know the answer! As you say, just because shapes had names and numbers in earlier catalogs doesn't necessarily mean those were stamped on the pipe.
Actually I may be getting confused between the stamping of shape names and the grade. My 1910 Brazilian (I think that’s the shape) is only marked with the L and Co. in the circle on the LH side of shank

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
This is really interesting - do you think the "extra strong fitting" might include the brass tenon? I've never seen a Melton outside of the catalogue image.
Sure, why not? French carvers were making metal and metal reinforced tenons for their pipes in the early days of the last century. Later on, Barling had the De Luxe line that used aluminum tenons.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Sure, why not? French carvers were making metal and metal reinforced tenons for their pipes in the early days of the last century. Later on, Barling had the De Luxe line that used aluminum tenons.

Most famously Delacour innovated the use of metal tenons alloyed with radium in Paris in the early 1900s. These pipes, few in number and highly prized upon their manufacture, eventually became as notoriously cursed as the tombs of Tutankhamun or Tamerlane.

Status
Not open for further replies.