PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
I'm sure many would be surprised, especially poor tippers, at what is added to the plate before the server sets in front of you with a flourish.
I'm deliberately not mentioning names in this...

A former Irish Taoiseach (Prime Minister) used to take guests to a particular restaurant which he reckoned had the best steaks in Ireland. He particularly raved about the special seasoning they used on the steaks.

Turned out the chef really hated this Taoiseach and his politics; so when the waiter told him the Taoiseach was in the restaurant and had ordered a steak the chef would undo his flies and rub the steak on (well, you get the picture) to 'season' it.

--

I used to go skiing with some American friends in Austria. My friends and I had been going to this paticular hotel for years; it was a 4* place where the staff would be as formal or as informal as the guests wanted. So for some guests it was a very a traditional service; whereas we were on first name terms with all the staff. Whatever, the service, food and accommodation was always to an excellent standard. (We'd all stayed at various times in other hotels in the village and reckoned this was by far the best 4* hotel in the resort.)

One year there was another party of Americans who simply couldn't complain enough about service; food, anything and everything was not to their liking. It was really beginning to upset the staff because no matter what, there were always more loud complaints in front of all the other guests. It really upset my American friends because it was the sort of behaviour that would give all Americans an underserved bad name.

So in the end my friends went had a word with the complainers who eventually admitted that nothing was wrong they just liked to "keep the staff on their toes". To which it was pointed out that upsetting a young waitress at meal time was a pretty bl**dy stupid thing to do since she had friends in the kitchen...

They got the message.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA

A former Irish Taoiseach (Prime Minister) used to take guests to a particular restaurant which he reckoned had the best steaks in Ireland. He particularly raved about the special seasoning they used on the steaks.

Turned out the chef really hated this Taoiseach and his politics; so when the waiter told him the Taoiseach was in the restaurant and had ordered a steak the chef would undo his flies and rub the steak on (well, you get the picture) to 'season' it.

--

I used to go skiing with some American friends in Austria. My friends and I had been going to this paticular hotel for years; it was a 4* place where the staff would be as formal or as informal as the guests wanted. So for some guests it was a very a traditional service; whereas we were on first name terms with all the staff. Whatever, the service, food and accommodation was always to an excellent standard. (We'd all stayed at various times in other hotels in the village and reckoned this was by far the best 4* hotel in the resort.)

One year there was another party of Americans who simply couldn't complain enough about service; food, anything and everything was not to their liking. It was really beginning to upset the staff because no matter what, there were always more loud complaints in front of all the other guests. It really upset my American friends because it was the sort of behaviour that would give all Americans an underserved bad name.

So in the end my friends went had a word with the complainers who eventually admitted that nothing was wrong they just liked to "keep the staff on their toes". To which it was pointed out that upsetting a young waitress at meal time was a pretty bl**dy stupid thing to do since she had friends in the kitchen...

They got the message.
Besides college, I insisted my children work as servers in a restaurant. It’s an educational experience. They hates working on Sundays and waiting on the church crowd who would tip sparingly and leave a religious trach

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
This conversation reminds me of the things people say about 'Incredible Burgers'. I enjoy them, especially the ones sold by Burger King. I have friends who say that eating a pair Odor Eaters or a note book would contain more flavor that one of the BK veggie burgers. I cannot wait to see what the reviews on the new McPlant burger are going to read.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com

--

They got the message.
Reminds me of a guy I knew in high school who was the assistant manager of a Jack In the Box. He hated working there and regularly urinated and sometimes rubbed one off in the "secret sauce" at his store. He thought it was hilarious.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015

--

They got the message.
I must call BS on this post. There is no such thing as a great Irish Steak. ;)

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Now that you mention it, JF Germain blends do have this saltiness about them that I always assumed was from their manufacture near the sea.

Status
Not open for further replies.