PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

briarfriar

Can't Leave
If you read enough, you learn things you didn't want to know.

A book from 1839 titled "A Paper: Of Tobacco--Treating of the Rise, Progress, Pleasures, and Advantages of Smoking, with Anecdotes of Distinguished Smokers," by the improbably named Joseph Fume, offers the following:

Small country dealers, more especially in the north of England, are still accustomed to keep their roll of pig-tail wrapped up in a sheepskin to preserve it moist and prevent it losing weight. Of the use of saline condiments in the preparation and preservation of tobacco, we have the following testimony of Dr. Adam Clarke:

'A dealer in this article once acknowledged to me that he sprinkled his rolls and leaf frequently with stale urine to keep them moist and to preserve the flavour. A friend of mine, whose curiosity led him to see tobacco-spinning, observed that the boys who opened out the dry plants had a vessel of urine by them, with which they moistened the leaves to prepare them for the spinner.'

This actually is attributed to "Dissertation on the Use and Abuse of Tobacco, p. 35, 4th Edition, 1814.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Urine was used in many processes back in the day...

Skins typically arrived at the tannery dried stiff and dirty with soil and gore. First, the ancient tanners would soak the skins in water to clean and soften them. Then they would pound and scour the skin to remove any remaining flesh and fat. Next, the tanner needed to remove the hair fibers from the skin. This was done by either soaking the skin in urine, painting it with an alkaline lime mixture, or simply letting the skin putrefy for several months then dipping it in a salt solution. After the hair fibers were loosened, the tanners scraped them off with a knife.

Once the hair was removed, the tanners would bate the material by pounding dung into the skin or soaking the skin in a solution of animal brains. Among the kinds of dung commonly used were that of dogs or pigeons. Sometimes the dung was mixed with water in a large vat, and the prepared skins were kneaded in the dung water until they became supple, but not too soft. The ancient tanner might use his bare feet to knead the skins in the dung water, and the kneading could last two or three hours.

It was this combination of urine, animal feces and decaying flesh that made ancient tanneries so odiferous.

Children employed as dung gatherers were a common sight in ancient cities. Also common were "piss-pots" located on street corners, where human urine could be collected for use in tanneries or by washerwomen. In some variations of the process, cedar oil, alum or tannin were applied to the skin as a tanning agent. As the skin was stretched, it would lose moisture and absorb the agent.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Urine is still used in some processes. Many artisans insist on properly prepared leather for their production. The acids are necessary for proper tanning. There are more modern methods certainly but, do they result in a proper leather? What you don't know won't make you weak in the stomach.

I'm sure many would be surprised, especially poor tippers, at what is added to the plate before the server sets in front of you with a flourish.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
It's possible but the fact that it's presented in a very untrustworthy way makes me doubt it. Though from that time there are snuff recipes printed that certainly have worse things then pee in them. Like really toxic things (checks notes like liquid mercury to help with the eyes). Basically in modern terms "A friend of a friend swears that he did a tour of the brewery and the guys working there pissed in the vats." Even if it's not all made up there is reason to doubt the friend saw what he thought he saw. Any yellow liquid could be mistaken for pee. So possible but not plausible.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
It's possible but the fact that it's presented in a very untrustworthy way makes me doubt it. Though from that time there are snuff recipes printed that certainly have worse things then pee in them. Like really toxic things (checks notes like liquid mercury to help with the eyes). Basically in modern terms "A friend of a friend swears that he did a tour of the brewery and the guys working there pissed in the vats." Even if it's not all made up there is reason to doubt the friend saw what he thought he saw. Any yellow liquid could be mistaken for pee. So possible but not plausible.
Once was told by a speaker that beer tastes like pee. I have to assume he drank the cheap stuff....lol!

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
it might just have been pee too. Like he wanted to hang out with the cool kids and act like them. So they said if he keeps begging for beer lets give him "beer". That seems like the best scenario.
He was speaking to my college football team as a motivational speaker. Several on the team were well into their mid to late 20’s having returned from Vietnam. I’m sure they thought he was full of it1622315065740.png

Reactions: BROBS and kurtbob

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
He was speaking to my college football team as a motivational speaker. Several on the team were well into their mid to late 20’s having returned from Vietnam. I’m sure they thought he was full of itView attachment 82206
motivational speakers are often more full of shit then not. Think about it they got a job motivating people already ripe pickings for the skillfully full of shit. What's crazy though is when you meet someone who is actually good at it. They're usually exceptionally interesting people who have been through many varied situations.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
motivational speakers are often more full of shit then not. Think about it they got a job motivating people already ripe pickings for the skillfully full of shit. What's crazy though is when you meet someone who is actually good at it. They're usually exceptionally interesting people who have been through many varied situations.
I loved Zig Ziglar.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Urine is still used in some processes. Many artisans insist on properly prepared leather for their production. The acids are necessary for proper tanning. There are more modern methods certainly but, do they result in a proper leather? What you don't know won't make you weak in the stomach.

I'm sure many would be surprised, especially poor tippers, at what is added to the plate before the server sets in front of you with a flourish.
We’re not a particularly sanitary species.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I'll not soon forget a motivational speaker, no prostheses below the knees, Nam casualty. He spoke about how he resisted help/assistance until he realized successful people accept help in the areas they needed it. It was a lesson in recognizing our weak areas and finding those who could provide the necessary assistance, surrounding yourself with assistants who freed you up to use your strengths and delegate your weak spots to others. I found it inspiiring. I always sought out subordinates who made me better at what I was best at, letting me play to my strengths.

Status
Not open for further replies.