PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
If you read enough, you learn things you didn't want to know.

A book from 1839 titled "A Paper: Of Tobacco--Treating of the Rise, Progress, Pleasures, and Advantages of Smoking, with Anecdotes of Distinguished Smokers," by the improbably named Joseph Fume, offers the following:

This actually is attributed to "Dissertation on the Use and Abuse of Tobacco, p. 35, 4th Edition, 1814.
And that is how Mixture 79 came to be...

just kidding

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I'll not soon forget a motivational speaker, no prostheses below the knees, Nam casualty. He spoke about how he resisted help/assistance until he realized successful people accept help in the areas they needed it. It was a lesson in recognizing our weak areas and finding those who could provide the necessary assistance, surrounding yourself with assistants who freed you up to use your strengths and delegate your weak spots to others. I found it inspiiring. I always sought out subordinates who made me better at what I was best at, letting me play to my strengths.
Would you say you were their arbiter?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Our bodies go to a lot of trouble to get rid of whatever is in excretion (urine) and elimination (stools), therefore it is probably not a generally good idea to try to recycle those substances through the digestive track and lungs. I surmise that one of the reasons people find those odors so repugnant is that the tribes that avoided re-exposure survived better than those that did not. Genetically more people are programed to find those materials repulsive, thus stay healthier, despite looking more squeamish and fussy.

Status
Not open for further replies.