PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Yeah I rarely do more than a good blow through after I'm done. If there is excess wet tobacco in the bowl I'll use a bent pipe cleaner but that's very rare.

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
Nice! Can't wait to see it at 1,000 smokes. Oh, it'll make it, try as you might. I've been trying to kill my Grabow car-pipe-beater for months. I knock out dottle on the rear-view, leave it in hot sun and subzero temps, puff it way too hard with all the windows open blazing down the freeway, leave it half-smoked for days at a time, drop it on the ice, etc. No dice, can't kill it! Talk about takes a licking and keeps on ticking. The only maintenance it's seen was one good hosing off and one scraping out with a Buck knife. Worst thing is that it just smokes better and better.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I already killed my first Grabow. Smoking like a mad man at one of my last jobs, it split up the shank. Those days I drove 300+ miles every day in my own vehicle. So I had nothing but time. And I filled every second smoking.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Are you wiping the chamber out or just dumping it after every smoke. I've never been able to build up a cake like that!???

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Are you wiping the chamber out or just dumping it after every smoke. I've never been able to build up a cake like that!???
99% of the time I dump it out and blow, occasionally I will Swab it with a pipe cleaner quickly to try to even the cake out. I have reamed it 3 times and did the warm water flush 3 times.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I've always wondered how people managed to get their pipes in that state. Now I know.

It will be interesting to see if it's restorable or trash at the end of a year.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I've always wondered how people managed to get their pipes in that state. Now I know.

It will be interesting to see if it's restorable or trash at the end of a year.
Oh, trust me. Anything is restorable. But I wont be doing that with this one. I'll be running straight to SP.com and looking for something new. Haha

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016

What is going on with the side of the pipe? Looks like some massive burnout, or is it just the lighting or some kind of discoloration?

Reactions: Ted Vig and jpmcwjr

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI

What is going on with the side of the pipe? Looks like some massive burnout, or is it just the lighting or some kind of discoloration?
The stain is coming off. I figure that's where my thumb goes, when I hold it.

Also found this today, don't know where the marks came from. Must have been something else in my pocket at the time.

@jaytex969
You DID say I had to smoke the stain off, well there ya go!

Last edited:

Spinkle

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 16, 2019
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

This has happened to my Grand Duke in the exact same spot as yours and directly on the other side of the bowl. I can’t figure out what’s going on perhaps it is the finish bubbling off as someone said earlier, but I don’t think I smoke that hot.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
This has happened to my Grand Duke in the exact same spot as yours and directly on the other side of the bowl. I can’t figure out what’s going on perhaps it is the finish bubbling off as someone said earlier, but I don’t think I smoke that hot.
Nah I'm just assuming it's from my thumb rubbing the wax (or whatever they use) off. My Rossi had a sort of lacquer that actually physically bubbled off on the rim of the pipe from my lighter. I ended up taking it all off with nail polish remover and actually preferred the look. without the lacquer.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
So, didi a leftie and sprinkle a righty? I'd guess the thumb has worn some of the finish off.

Status
Not open for further replies.