PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
It's a case of misrepresentation on their (Amazon's) part.
I believe the seller represents the quality of the product they are selling. Amazon may facilitate the shipping but they've made no representation as to quality. Is not this true? They might, although under no obligation to do so, intercede on behalf of the customer. A complaint on the seller might trigger some sort of investigation by Amazon though.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I believe the seller represents the quality of the product they are selling. Amazon may facilitate the shipping but they've made no representation as to quality. Is not this true? They might, although under no obligation to do so, intercede on behalf of the customer. A complaint on the seller might trigger some sort of investigation by Amazon though.
Amazon may not be the actual seller but they are the regulator and set the rules. It's a bit like ebay. I've found them (Amazon) to be very accommodating to "applying the grease to the squeaky wheel". If Amazon wasn't the entity to turn to their site would quickly disappear. They offer certain guarantees the seller must abide by.

As far as representation of the condition of the product, I'm sure the last thing Amazon wants are legitimate claims of false advertising Although I used the term "misrepresentation" a better term would have been misunderstanding.

If the misunderstanding can't be resolved it can be considered misrepresentation (if the purchaser is correct) and if the misrepresentation is proven to be purposeful it can be false advertising. (This is a very poor description of how it would, or could, go through litigation but hopefully it helps illustrate the point.)

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
So buy directly from MM instead of Amazon. You're blaming the manufacturer for something that may not be their fault.
I would not buy MM cobs on amazon. I'm buying them all from SP Europe, and everything arrives perfect and without problems. Anything related to tobacco, I would never buy on amazon. There are a lot of counterfeit items and in very bad condition, it does not give me confidence.
Well said.
We have a number of fine e-tailers who advertise on this site. Support them, not Amazon.

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
So buy directly from MM instead of Amazon. You're blaming the manufacturer for something that may not be their fault.

Well said.
We have a number of fine e-tailers who advertise on this site. Support them, not Amazon.
I totally agree with you. We have beautiful stores, with high quality items, original and with many years, and good treatment to their customers.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
I received a new MM Country Gent from Amazon. It arrived packed well and unmolested but with a decent sized split along the shank. See pic. I contacted MM and they said to put super glue on it. Now these are dirt cheap and a bottle of glue is almost as much as a new pipe. Anyway, no returns of pipes on Amazon and manufacturer doesn’t make it right either ?. View attachment 141282

I fully agree that you got hosed. You ordered a product, it arrive damaged, and the vendor won't make it right. File a chargeback on your card and don't buy cobs on Amazon anymore.

More and more, Amazon is the 21st century Walmart. Quality and customer service are down, prices and counterfeit goods are up, and it's a pale imitation of what it used to be.

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
WOW, quite a bit of energy expended discussing a throwaway inexpensive pipe that can be readily and cheaply repaired. At their price point it's unreasonable to expect stems that approach hand cut ebonite, perfect drilling or occasional re-gluing. Nevertheless, if the ability to return something (for any reason) is important I will check out the seller's return policy before ordering.

Status
Not open for further replies.