PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donb1972

Can't Leave
Feb 9, 2022
Erie, PA
I used to sell stuff I made by hand. I live by a code and is quite high...honest, integrity, sacrifice and all that...I sometimes forget many people and business do not. I know how I treated people when I was a seller of my handmade items and sometimes took a loss to make them happy. Now it seems more and more people sort of demand less and less and retailers get away with it. Again, it is more of a principal than the loss of $12.
This is one of the main reasons I no longer use Amazon. They used to be great with customer service. Now they know they've got us so it's not so great anymore.

MM also makes returning items a rather unattractive prospect.

I'm sorry you got stuck with a bad one. I am somewhat obsessive about defects in things I buy, so I can feel your pain. But, on the bright side, a little glue would probably make it perfectly smokable.

Reactions: OSOBUCO

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Kaizen8 appears to be the seller, at least when I checked Amazon seconds ago. They are a storefront vending through Amazon and appear to have a highly rated feedback for customer satisfaction. Of course such ratings are highly suspect per some news reports I've read. Amazon is not the seller they are simply providing a way for the vendor to market wares. The vendor, Kaizon8, pays fo the service..

Kaizen8 whom you contacted?

reloader

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Southern, NM
The last MM I bought was from tobaccopipes and it came in with a split shank. They sent me another right away. The problem was that the tenon was too large for the mortise and it split the shank. I glued the one they replaced and sanded the tenon until in fit smoothly into place. I agree that if a product arrives damaged it should be replaced no matter the cost to the seller. Before I retired if anything went wrong with my business I did whatever it took to make it right. I didn't care if it cost me money or not, just that the customer went away happy.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
Well, umm...I disagree. Just roll over and take it attitude is why manufacturers get away with poor QC.
I get that. I am just adjusting to living in the ashes of civilization.

I used to sell stuff I made by hand. I live by a code and is quite high...honest, integrity, sacrifice and all that...I sometimes forget many people and business do not.

As do many who make things by hand. But you are talking about Amazon, a corporation so soulless that they make money by cannibalizing their own business partners. They’re a tentacle of Shub-Niggurath, writhing in the aether, giving birth to all sorts of plastic horrors that will eventually smother the earth.

Jun 23, 2019
I've found the production quality to have gone down hill since the Pandemic.

I've made 2 or 3 purchases since, a couple of classic shapes as well as a few of their newer spendy ones with fancy stems, my verdict: save your money and go with a Forever Stem - the fit/finish on their $25-35 offerings are kinda a joke.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and OSOBUCO

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I get that. I am just adjusting to living in the ashes of civilization.

As do many who make things by hand. But you are talking about Amazon, a corporation so soulless that they make money by cannibalizing their own business partners. They’re a tentacle of Shub-Niggurath, writhing in the aether, giving birth to all sorts of plastic horrors that will eventually smother the earth.
I love amazon. However I heard from multiple people that the drivers used to have to pee in bottles because there wasn't enough time for bathroom breaks. The difference between next day and two day delivery I suppose.

Back to the OP, I agree amazon should take back the pipe. However It can be easily fixed by glue or even wood putty if you have any. Or you could go above and beyond and get a nice big band put on it by our guy @cosmicfolklore. Then you would have a one of a kind cob.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and OSOBUCO
Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
But the retailer doesn’t appear to be amazon. All the MM pipes on amazon were being sold by third parties that I looked at.

If I were the manufacturer I would want it to go through the authorized retailer as well. Replacing the product is only half the issue. The other half is root causing the source of the damage for remediation.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and warren

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
It doesn't appear that Amazon sells Missouri Meerschaum. They are only a facilitator. Some the vendors seem to offer 30 day return policy. I'd love for the OP to post who the vendor was. Amazon is an easy target for many things but, if they weren't the seller, usually denoted in small print when the item is selected for possible purchase, then they aren't the least bit responsible. Are they? I don't think so.

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
That sucks, glad it's not too much of a loss. MM cant guarantee something they didn't sell, I can see their point.

Amazon might help you out, I have had great service from them on returns and refunds in the past. Just don't abuse the return policy or else you get put on the naughty list. ?

Reactions: jpmcwjr

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
It doesn't appear that Amazon sells Missouri Meerschaum. They are only a facilitator. Some the vendors seem to offer 30 day return policy. I'd love for the OP to post who the vendor was. Amazon is an easy target for many things but, if they weren't the seller, usually denoted in small print when the item is selected for possible purchase, then they aren't the least bit responsible. Are they? I don't think so.
In most cases, if it's not Prime...beware

Mar 1, 2014
Why call MM? Amazon should take it back.
It gets more complicated because Amazon doesn't sell Cobs either, they're just the shipping company in this case.

Personally I will almost never buy from resellers on Amazon, there are some manufacturers who legitimately choose to distribute through Amazon, but most third party sellers are effectively just people gaming the retail market like the stock market, buying and selling any random thing as trends come and go.

It's interesting when you hear horror stories of people trying to sell on Amazon, if a new store owner makes a mistake and gives too steep a discount the other re-sellers will buy out the entire inventory and then re-list all the items.

Last edited:

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
I agree with a few others... while I'm sorry the OP got a bum stem, it is the seller's responsibility, not MM... if it is even a genuine MM cob.

When I've purchased cobs direct from MM they have always made right if I received a damaged pipe.

One thing to keep in mind with cobs... that shouldn't need to be said, but... they are cheap pipes. They aren't designed to be anything more than a cheap, throw away pipe. They are made with a dry corn cob, cheap plastic (acrylic if you're lucky) and inexpensive wood.

Consider this; if the postage cost more than your pipe... what do you expect? Furthermore, a reputable seller would have caught the defect and settled up with the manufacturer, not sold it off anyhow. But I digress.

Not a knock on cobs, cause I've got several and love 'em... but I also buy them direct.

Good luck.

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
From the Missouri Meerschaum website.

Can I return my Genuine Missouri Meerschaum Corn Cob Pipe for a refund or exchange it for another pipe?​

To qualify for a replacement pipe or a refund, please contact us within 5 days of receipt of your pipe at 800-888-2109 or pipes@corncobpipe.com for instructions. You may exchange your pipe for another pipe or return your pipe for a refund as long as it is in new, unsmoked condition with the Missouri Meerschaum label still attached at the bottom of the bowl.

The issue may be that you bought it from a 3rd party on Amazon.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
That sucks. I bought a legend once through Amazon but I usually buy my cobs from a reputable pipe tobacco retailer. I don’t understand why Missouri Meerschaum is responsible if you bought it on Amazon.
Agree. MM, once it's in Amazon's hands they have no more responsibility. Could easily have been broken by Amazon or the carrier. Or the third party seller as I just found out it wasn't Amazon's sale.

I'd use wood glue, and clamp it overnight.

Last edited:

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Man that’s odd. I bought a Dagner poker from them about 6 years ago. It arrived with a loose stem so I notified them. They said they were sold out at the moment but they would send a “second” as a replacement until they had more in stock. The replacement was great, nothing wrong with it, then a month later they sent another replacement, so in short, they gave me 3 pipes for the price of one… excellent customer service! I’m assuming they aren’t giving you that same great customer service because you bought it from Amazon? Amazon will refund it, even if you the seller won’t (not sure if that is only for Prime customers though).

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Complain to Amazon. The sale went through them and what you ordered and paid for was a new, unbroken product. What you received is a broken product. Standard return policy does not apply in this situation.

Don't stop with the first customer service representative who answers the phone either. They don't know what to do and they don't have the authority to do anything even if they did know.

There's a good chance, given the cost, sooner or later they'll give up and refund your money. Especially if you make a pest of yourself.

Do remember to be polite and cordial however. If you're rude and abusive the won't put up with you.

Kindly argue your case as I started. It's not a case of buyer's remorse or anything else. It's a of ordering and paying for something you didn't get. It's a case of misrepresentation on their (Amazon's) part.

Reactions: pantsBoots
Status
Not open for further replies.