Why is Penzance the Ultimate Mythical Unicorn?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Penzance is excellent and I love it. I think every niche consumable has an unobtanium and Esoterica, specifically Penzance, was the perfect storm. A great tobacco with rave reviews in Pipes & Tobaaccos Magazine, limited distribution combined with small 3rd party manufacturing that has shown zero interest in increasing either their sales or production and over the last 20 years, a growing appreciation of fine tobaccos. Add to that idiots willing to pay 4 to 8 times the retail price and you have an unobtanium.

Is it worth what people pay for it? Hell no. Too many other good blends out there to enjoy.

If its that good why they need to make it unavailable for everyone to try ? Sound like a marketing tactic, don’t get me wrong I’m sure its good , but there tons of blend out there with the exact same components . I love Americans blender with honest price & quality that care for customers .
It’s a very small family operation that doesn't have much interest in doing what they do on a larger scale.
Ii don’t think they had much to do with the scale of demand craze that’s happened. They just do what they’ve been doing all along.

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
I want to qualify my single word response.
I don't hate Penzance. I actually found it to be a great blend. I did not find it to be the best thing I've ever smoked and worth $200 an 8oz bag on the secondary market. I have repeatedly paid $1 a gram for McClelland and don't regret it. If McClelland had wanted to, they could've easily achieved Penzance status with a number of their VA blends.
My point is, Penzance is definitely the product of genius marketing and small supply. It was small batch before small batch was cool. It creates the perfect storm of everyone wanting it, no one being able to get it, so you never have to worry about not selling everything you make. It's a great tobacco, but I've always found 6 months in a jar makes Cornell and Diehl Star of the East Flake it's equal.

Also, they're in a pickle, because if they increase supply, people will begin to see it as cheapened somehow. "if everyone can get it, it can't be as good anymore."

Winterreise

Lifer
Oct 21, 2020
Montréal , Québec
It’s a very small family operation that doesn't have much interest in doing what they do on a larger scale.
Ii don’t think they had much to do with the scale of demand craze that’s happened. They just do what they’ve been doing all along.
Always there for a good enlightenment Folklore, i didn’t know that ! I never see you on the “What are you smoking treads “ Do you keep you beloved tobacco secret for us to not buy ??

I want to qualify my single word response.
I don't hate Penzance. I actually found it to be a great blend. I did not find it to be the best thing I've ever smoked and worth $200 an 8oz bag on the secondary market. I have repeatedly paid $1 a gram for McClelland and don't regret it. If McClelland had wanted to, they could've easily achieved Penzance status with a number of their VA blends.
My point is, Penzance is definitely the product of genius marketing and small supply. It was small batch before small batch was cool. It creates the perfect storm of everyone wanting it, no one being able to get it, so you never have to worry about not selling everything you make. It's a great tobacco, but I've always found 6 months in a jar makes Cornell and Diehl Star of the East Flake it's equal.

Also, they're in a pickle, because if they increase supply, people will begin to see it as cheapened somehow. "if everyone can get it, it can't be as good anymore."
I would never pay that much. There are blends that I like better.
I’m not sure Esoterica had much to do with marketing. That was pipe community spin that caused that.

I wouldn’t be surprised to hear that they close up soon. They pretty much have stayed hobby level production for eons now. And, like McClelland, itd be better to just lock the door than see their product go to mass production and lose the love and magic that’s gone into it.

There are blends and even blenders that I don’t like, but it is surprising to see the level of vitriol that a small family run business like this can stir up. Hate the people in the community that keep pushing this as the MUST HAVE that they have. It seems to be more of them, the youtubers and such doing the nah na-na nah na thing.

Meanwhile an old man and his kids in a small tiny business are just doing what they love, at their own pace. No board room full of execs or marketers doing this. Hell, you can email the guy. They seem to be drawing this animosity that they really didn’t have much to do with.

When my favorite B&M gets it in stock, and because I help out this B&M with various other stuff, I get a call when they get their drop. Otherwise, I wouldn’t care of I never got any.

There are many other blends that I hear about being so great, but because I’d have to swing an order though Europe or a business out of state that I’ve never dealt with, that I just don’t worry about. Strang, I’ve had some samples that I’ve tried. Very good. But, I’m not losing sleep over chasing that one.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Never tried it but my local shop here in Piedmont has something to do with its creation I think? I went there and bought a tin of Escudo for $35, and I won’t be a return customer (needless to say)
Steve Richman, proprietor of the Piedmont Tobacconist, commissioned the suite of blends from Germain’s, starting with their catalog private label blends and working with Germain’s to alter them to his specifications.
Greg Pease was one of his tasters

Always there for a good enlightenment Folklore, i didn’t know that ! I never see you on the “What are you smoking treads “ Do you keep you beloved tobacco secret for us to not buy ??
I’m not sure what you’re getting at. Ha ha, like are you interested in my favorites? Like I’m hiding something?

I don’t post in there much becaise on most days I smoke 10-12 bowls. And, I’m sure no one gives a shit what I smoke.

Steve Richman, proprietor of the Piedmont Tobacconist, commissioned the suite of blends from Germain’s, starting with their catalog private label blends and working with Germain’s to alter them to his specifications.
Greg Pease was one of his tasters
Sorry, it was my understanding from reading posts on here that this was a family run thing. Or at least started that way… maybe? If I’m wrong, then sorry. I’m not intentionally trying to mislead anyone. Just perplexed when people get mad at a business like this.

Reactions: JOHN72

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Sorry, it was my understanding from reading posts on here that this was a family run thing. Or at least started that way… maybe? If I’m wrong, then sorry. I’m not intentionally trying to mislead anyone. Just perplexed when people get mad at a business like this.

It is, the Germain family. Piedmont started Esoterica, Butera bought it from him. Now it's owned by someone else. Germain doesn't increase output that I've seen.

Winterreise

Lifer
Oct 21, 2020
Montréal , Québec
I’m not sure what you’re getting at. Ha ha, like are you interested in my favorites? Like I’m hiding something?

I don’t post in there much becaise on most days I smoke 10-12 bowls. And, I’m sure no one gives a shit what I smoke.
Just asking haha we got an interesting talk about arts the other day i don’t see you elsewhere over here ! And yes i care about favorites?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I would never pay that much. There are blends that I like better.
I’m not sure Esoterica had much to do with marketing. That was pipe community spin that caused that.

I wouldn’t be surprised to hear that they close up soon. They pretty much have stayed hobby level production for eons now. And, like McClelland, itd be better to just lock the door than see their product go to mass production and lose the love and magic that’s gone into it.

There are blends and even blenders that I don’t like, but it is surprising to see the level of vitriol that a small family run business like this can stir up. Hate the people in the community that keep pushing this as the MUST HAVE that they have. It seems to be more of them, the youtubers and such doing the nah na-na nah na thing.

Meanwhile an old man and his kids in a small tiny business are just doing what they love, at their own pace. No board room full of execs or marketers doing this. Hell, you can email the guy. They seem to be drawing this animosity that they really didn’t have much to do with.

When my favorite B&M gets it in stock, and because I help out this B&M with various other stuff, I get a call when they get their drop. Otherwise, I wouldn’t care of I never got any.

There are many other blends that I hear about being so great, but because I’d have to swing an order though Europe or a business out of state that I’ve never dealt with, that I just don’t worry about. Strang, I’ve had some samples that I’ve tried. Very good. But, I’m not losing sleep over chasing that one.
It’s ridiculous to hate on Germain’s. They are as you describe them, a small family operation turning out blends on ancient equipment as they have for 200 years, in the old tradition.
The irrational adulation is the product of consumers, not Germain’s.
I like a number of the Esoterica blends and they have a unique house style.
I’ve rarely had difficulty getting what I want when they make a drop because I don’t waste time with the big online sellers. If I can do that, anyone with a working phone, or a local B&M can do it.
Overseas buyers are in a different position and have little choice but to pay a premium.
In any event, there are plenty of excellent blends available from other blenders.

It’s ridiculous to hate on Germain’s. They are as you describe them, a small family operation turning out blends on ancient equipment as they have for 200 years, in the old tradition.
The irrational adulation is the product of consumers, not Germain’s.
I like a number of the Esoterica blends and they have a unique house style.
I’ve rarely had difficulty getting what I want when they make a drop because I don’t waste time with the big online sellers. If I can do that, anyone with a working phone, or a local B&M can do it.
Overseas buyers are in a different position and have little choice but to pay a premium.
In any event, there are plenty of excellent blends available from other blenders.
Thanks Jesse, I was afraid that I had misspoke. I knew that Germains had some relation to them, but I wasn’t clear on exactitudes, ha ha.

I guess I had better start posting in the what are you smoking threads again. I don’t want people to think I’m up to no good. puffy

Terry Lennox

Can't Leave
Aug 11, 2021
Southern California
I've been smoking Penzance since 2009 and I could swear the blend has a tiny bit of anise in it. Almost undetectable but there none the less. Provides a little twang on the finish and I imagine it is what makes it special.

Reactions: JOHN72

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Thanks Jesse, I was afraid that I had misspoke. I knew that Germains had some relation to them, but I wasn’t clear on exactitudes, ha ha.

I guess I had better start posting in the what are you smoking threads again. I don’t want people to think I’m up to no good. puffy
I got my information about the creation of the Esoterica line from Greg, who was witness to it.
You should post in the WAYS thread. Somebody’s got to give jiminks a run for the money.

I got my information about the creation of the Esoterica line from Greg, who was witness to it.
You should post in the WAYS thread. Somebody’s got to give jiminks a run for the money.
I don't know, Jim has superman status, and I don't want to step on capes, ha ha.
I used to be on there, but for some reason I draw a lot of comments, which seemed to disrupt that thread. But, sure, I'll give it a shot again. I need to spend more time on this forum, ha ha ha.

I've been smoking Penzance since 2009 and I could swear the blend has a tiny bit of anise in it. Almost undetectable but there none the less. Provides a little twang on the finish and I imagine it is what makes it special.
I agree with you. I detect that too. I wonder if it is a tad bit of Japan8. It is an oriental that tastes exactly like licorice. I grow a little bit of this every year. Or, it could just be a licorice topping. I love it, either way.

Reactions: Terry Lennox

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
Set the Wayback Machine to 2006. Or maybe it was 2007. You could walk into your neighborhood tobacconist and find tins and bags of Esoterica blends, including Penzance, on the shelf like everything else. Penzance had its fans, but wasn’t a stand out by any means.
I was a member of Pipes.org, and every now and then the moderator, who was easily the second worst moderator in the history of the Internet, would mention that he was smoking Penzance. It was cheap enough, not much more than bulk.
Gave it a try and decided that it just wasn’t for me.
Shortly after that, Germain’s missed a shipment. Then it missed another, and then yet another.
So when Penzance finally showed up the hoarders were on it like piranha, gobbling up every bag they could find. The panic over Penzance was on, and it has never stopped. When something is hard to get, people think it must be wonderful. I call this behavioral phenomenon the Psychopathy of Scarcity.
Germain’s is a small boutique blender that has added more commitments since then, making shipments of Esoterica blends even more erratic, which further exacerbates the situation.
If any random decent blend all of a sudden became hard to find would it too be worth $250 and up for half a pound?

boston

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2018
Boston
Between Penzance, Bengal slices, and Krumble Kake, I preferred KK. Sweeter. Bengal more subtle, and Penzance less sweet. There is more to each but I don't want to try to describe because others have done that. They are all good, probably much better than good. Quiet Nights is in a similar ballpark for me. Marvelous. Greg was going to call it Nocturne but I recall he said McClelland had or planned to have a blend by the same name so he chose Quite Nights.
I still have some of each (rectangular tins) of the trilogy, but haven't tried the new Bengal slices. Sold a bit of my stash via Steve Fallon because I don't need all I collected. It's all good, probably great, and just different. And although there are good tobaccos available, these are top shelf and worth a try if you have the opportunity. If you can't find them or don't wish to spend the $$ (and prices are bonkers), you won't go wrong with Quiet Nights.