PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ben.R.C

Lifer
Nov 20, 2022
North Carolina
It seems as though once Tao started making his short, chunky, masculine pipes the price sky-rocketed. Those pipes are now his signature style and having a signature style increases their desirability. This is true of painters and sculptors too. Although all pipes have gotten more expensive over the past few years, Tao's have become especially dear. They are beautiful though.
His stuff is growing on me, I didn’t get it at first. But the pipes of his I really like are completely out of my price range. Maybe I’ll get lucky someday with an affordable estate.

Reactions: dunnyboy

Homer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 7, 2020
Finland
If someone collects pipes and the goal is to sell them someday and make money one can not smoke the pipes since only unsmoked pipes increase in value.
If the pipe is smoked only couple of times its still presmoked and not as expensive as unsmoked.
I don’t buy pipes and expect them to increase in value.

Ben.R.C

Lifer
Nov 20, 2022
North Carolina
If someone collects pipes and the goal is to sell them someday and make money one can not smoke the pipes since only unsmoked pipes increase in value.
If the pipe is smoked only couple of times its still presmoked and not as expensive as unsmoked.
I don’t buy pipes and expect them to increase in value.
Same. I’m looking for life long tools, if it doesn’t smoke well for me, I trade it or sell it. Collecting is a secondary part of the fun for me. People have their reasons for keeping pipes unsmoked, that’s their business.

Hope

Lurker
Mar 7, 2023
It seems as though once Tao started making his short, chunky, masculine pipes the price sky-rocketed. Those pipes are now his signature style and having a signature style increases their desirability. This is true of painters and sculptors too. Although all pipes have gotten more expensive over the past few years, Tao's have become especially dear. They are beautiful though.
Yes, he has a unique style in the back, very beautiful works, but it seems to be repeated all the time.

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
Yes, he has a unique style in the back, very beautiful works, but it seems to be repeated all the time.
Personally, I'm okay with variations on a theme or repetitions. You can't reinvent the wheel each time and, when you hit on something unique that is handsome and highly sought after, like Tao has with his chubby bulldogs, you can't blame him for running with it.

Wolfgang Becker has a couple of unique shapes—the wasp and the driver—that he renders in many different sizes and finishes, and even in olive wood and strawberry wood on occasion. They are beautifully executed and very popular. There are carvers who do more whimsical and creative shapes, and use exotic materials. I have a few beautiful pipes by Eder Mathias that I like but they are a bit more of an acquired taste. They probably also take more time to complete, which makes them relatively less profitable.

Ben.R.C

Lifer
Nov 20, 2022
North Carolina
Personally, I'm okay with variations on a theme or repetitions. You can't reinvent the wheel each time and, when you hit on something unique that is handsome and highly sought after, like Tao has with his chubby bulldogs, you can't blame him for running with it.

Wolfgang Becker has a couple of unique shapes—the wasp and the driver—that he renders in many different sizes and finishes, and even in olive wood and strawberry wood on occasion. They are beautifully executed and very popular. There are carvers who do more whimsical and creative shapes, and use exotic materials. I have a few beautiful pipes by Eder Mathias that I like but they are a bit more of an acquired taste. They probably also take more time to complete, which makes them relatively less profitable.
I actually like pipe makers that get obsessive with one or two shapes, they wind up getting really, really good with them. Balleby, Manduela, and Satou come to mind.

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
I bought a new pipe by a highly-regarded Danish carver known for his "shields" (that's one way they're described). They're usually rendered in birdseye with contrast stain. The pipe was beautiful but the stummel "shield" was not at a perfect right angle to the shank and stem. The vendor, and ultimately the carver, graciously took the pipe back. But I have to say the pipe was so lovely and the vendor so nice, I hesitated to return it. Maybe I should have viewed it as the pipe equivalent of a 1937-D 3-Legged Buffalo nickel and kept it LOL.

Reactions: Ben.R.C

Ben.R.C

Lifer
Nov 20, 2022
North Carolina
I bought a new pipe by a highly-regarded Danish carver known for his "shields" (that's one way they're described). They're usually rendered in birdseye with contrast stain. The pipe was beautiful but the stummel "shield" was not at a perfect right angle to the shank and stem. The vendor, and ultimately the carver, graciously took the pipe back. But I have to say the pipe was so lovely and the vendor so nice, I hesitated to return it. Maybe I should have viewed it as the pipe equivalent of a 1937-D 3-Legged Buffalo nickel and kept it LOL.
I mean if I liked it regardless of imperfection, I might have kept. That is pretty great they took the return though.

Hope

Lurker
Mar 7, 2023

Thank you for your reply, your answer made me think, I agree with you.