PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Bbailey324

Lifer
Jun 29, 2023
Austin, TX
Welcome from Austin, TX. As other have said, give it a go without the filter. I don't care for them and don't use them in my few pipes that will accommodate them.

Reactions: Ally J
G

Gimlet

Welcome from County Durham and Ayr (I'm split between the two).

I'd have thought Condor would be hard work for a new pipe smoker. Try gawith Hoggarth's American blends.

Petersons tinned aromatics are very good too and easy to smoke. Luxury Blend and Irish Cask are excellent and Killarney is probably their fruitiest. None of these will ghost your pipe, which is important when you're exploring and trying to find the blends you like.
Be careful of any blend with Latakia in it until you're sure you like it as it will seriously ghost your pipe.

Which filters are you using? My pipes are 9 mm filtered and the best I've found are Vauen Dr Pearl.
White Elephant are fracrtionally bigger and can be tight in some pipes. Savinelli are good but I find I get charcoal granules in my mouth with those.

If you're ever in Ayr there's a great little tobacconist there.
TH Dalling | Buy Tobacco Products Online ā€“ Buy Tobacco Products Online from the UK - https://thdalling.com/

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
Hi all,

Iā€™m Ally from Scotland (female) and bought my 1st pipe about a month ago. Just a wee cheap one off Amazon to try it. Stopped smoking cigarettes 7 and a half years ago ā€¦ just fancied a pipe and love it! I like fruity tobacco, but am struggling at moment with new filters I just bought. Can hardly light my pipe with these new filters šŸ„µ
Welcome :sher:

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Hello there ally & a welcome from Hereford, sassenach shire.
Youā€™ve got a lovely tobacconist in Aberdeen, Herbert Love on King St.
You can ask them to open their jars for you & have a wee sniff & see what grabs your fancy.
You might want to grab an inexpensive house or basket pipe while youā€™re there. A non filter briar pipe would be the way to go.
Nice to see a woman take up the pipe, used to be quite normal before the war. Hope you stick at it & enjoy it.šŸ‘
IMG_4661.jpeg

Ally J

Lurker
Nov 18, 2023
Aberdeen, Bonnie Scotland
Welcome from County Durham and Ayr (I'm split between the two).

I'd have thought Condor would be hard work for a new pipe smoker. Try gawith Hoggarth's American blends.

Petersons tinned aromatics are very good too and easy to smoke. Luxury Blend and Irish Cask are excellent and Killarney is probably their fruitiest. None of these will ghost your pipe, which is important when you're exploring and trying to find the blends you like.
Be careful of any blend with Latakia in it until you're sure you like it as it will seriously ghost your pipe.

Which filters are you using? My pipes are 9 mm filtered and the best I've found are Vauen Dr Pearl.
White Elephant are fracrtionally bigger and can be tight in some pipes. Savinelli are good but I find I get charcoal granules in my mouth with those.

If you're ever in Ayr there's a great little tobacconist there.
TH Dalling | Buy Tobacco Products Online ā€“ Buy Tobacco Products Online from the UK - https://thdalling.com/
Hi and ma y thanks for the advice. Have just bought a peach tobacco, canā€™t wait to try that. Iā€™m an Aberdonian, lol half a pack of condor left ā€¦ mixing it with the black cherry and vanilla ā€¦ can stand it then.

Itā€™s Blitz 9mm filters, they are chuffin horrendous ā€¦.. couldnā€™t even light my pipe let alone smoke it!! šŸ¤¦ā€ā™€ļø

Reactions: Bbailey324

Ally J

Lurker
Nov 18, 2023
Aberdeen, Bonnie Scotland
Hello and welcome from West Virginia, USA. I don't use filters and don't see much use for them unless you are a wet smoker. A filter is there mostly to absorb moisture. I don't produce much saliva and the blends that I smoke are old timey Codger blends that don't produce much moisture.. Try smoking without the filter and see if your enjoyment improves.
Hiā€¦

Tag is for the adviceā€¦ I will try without šŸ˜€
Hello there ally & a welcome from Hereford, sassenach shire.
Youā€™ve got a lovely tobacconist in Aberdeen, Herbert Love on King St.
You can ask them to open their jars for you & have a wee sniff & see what grabs your fancy.
You might want to grab an inexpensive house or basket pipe while youā€™re there. A non filter briar pipe would be the way to go.
Nice to see a woman take up the pipe, used to be quite normal before the war. Hope you stick at it & enjoy it.šŸ‘
View attachment 262734
ooh next time Iā€™m in town I will go to tobacconists and give them a try ā€¦. Have ditched the filter ā€¦. Much nicer puff ā€¦. Ahhh ā€¦ will look for a better pipe too ā€¦ Amazon cheapy doing me fine just now ā€¦. Thanks for all the advice ā€¦ lol love the Sassanach shire šŸ¤£šŸ¤£ Iā€™m technically half Sassanach as my Dad was born in Lincolnshire ā€¦ a wee place called Dona nook ā€¦.. vaping still at work ā€¦ my take the pipe with me tomorrow ā€¦ as my workmates cannot believe Iā€™m smoking a pipe šŸ¤£šŸ¤£