Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jon C.P.G.

Lurker
Sep 29, 2023
I woke up at 350 am for the 4am Dublin drop (I am in Canada, 10am in Dublin is 4am where I am) and managed to snag what I think is the best looking 312 stummel that they had in this entire line that was available on SPEU or SPUS (a B&M may have gotten a better one) so I am a happy Pete Geek for sure! I really wish they would have done a handful of 309 pipes as I feel the bent dutch Billiard is THEE epitome of what a Peterson system is, big, robust, muscular, it is a timeless shape.

002-172-17699.4759.jpg

002-172-17699_1.7588.jpg

As I cannot be bothered to quote individual posts in the thread I will say this:

All of these pipes had the Aluminum Chimney tenon extension as they are true Systems as per Charles Peterson's original designs and patents, so none were 9mm filtered for this reason. Anyone familiar with the Peterson system and has read it's original patents knows that the Chimney / Tennon extension is crucial in how the system is designed to work, with the extension sitting in the reservoir / below the draft hole, causing the smoke to swirl into the reservoir and allow moisture to condense in the reservoir creating a drier smoke, along with the graduated bore of the stem to prevent any condensation in the stem from being sucked up into the mouth, with the P lip directing the smoke to the roof of the mouth and palate instead of the tongue, to negate tongue bite and increase flavor.

I have a grade 3 Patent era 17a "Ball" System and this extension is built right into the stem all one piece, so it sits below the draft hole from the chamber into the reservoir. It smokes amazingly even being well over 100 years old.

It is a big misconception that you're "smoking too fast" if you collect moisture in your system because that is the entire point OF the system pipe and what it was designed to do, to condense and collect moisture from your smoke which in turn leads to better, drier, less bitey more flavorful smokes. It is also why a properly made system pipe can handle tobacco on the more moist side well and still lead to a good dry smoke, just requiring more of a pipe cleaner or q tip soak of moisture in the reservoir... gotta love that military mount for this reason. So you are not smoking too fast you just have a system pipe performing to its optimum capability.

In older System standards you will notice that there is a more pronounced bit of tenon extension on the ends of the stems, also in old Grade 3 patent era / pre Republic era A stems for example (Read Mark Irwins Peterson Pipe Notes blog and look at pictures and old catalog drawings of these) this is also the case with the chimney being even more evidently pronounced and purposefully made as a whole piece of Vulcanite. The Grade 3 or 3 with a circle around it pipes you might see pop up on eBay were the old versions of the System Standard before they were stamped System standard.

In the premier models, system star line and Deluxe models they have always had screw in / threaded chimneys for this reason also. I still prefer my Systems that have the Bone chimneys over Aluminum as they do an even better job of wicking away moisture and less chance of that first third of the bowl giving an occasional gurgle as the aluminum tenon warms from the smoke.

I will also say in my time in pipe groups on social media and reading on forums I always wonder if the last 20 to 30 years of System Standard production having less and less of a tenon extension along with the ghastly acrylic stems has led to smokers stating that they do not like the system and p lip, because a major factor in its design is not being utilized and has rendered many Systems as Semi systems or reverse calabashes which are not taking full advantage of Charles Peterson's original designs. This is also why I do not own any System spigots as in my opinion, they render the system as merely a bent, pure reverse calabash more than a system pipe.

There is a good watch over on the Smoking Pipes blog where they discuss this line and why they added the chimney which kind of covers what I have posted here as well.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
The PPN but I think I saw you needed to sign up before hand.
Although if someone backs out, he moves down the list to those who signed up later after the order was placed.
Still available right now.

Can you believe I'm passing on these...

I just keep telling myself: I'm not a collector, I'm not a collector, I'm not a collector...

Maybe there's hope for me after all.
I lied.
I lied to myself.
I lied to the world.
I lied to each of you.
I'm so, so sorry, will you forgive me?
I decided I needed to see and inspect this one in person, it was different - like a wavy sand dune...

1697727540126.png

1697727573022.png

It's possible I may not like it when I get it, but merely for the cost of return shipping I decided I'd gamble on it. It really isn't the type of blast I normally appreciate, but I'll check it out.

😎

Tate

Lifer
Sep 27, 2023
Northern Illinois
Although if someone backs out, he moves down the list to those who signed up later after the order was placed.

I lied.
I lied to myself.
I lied to the world.
I lied to each of you.
I decided I needed to see and inspect this one in person, it was different - like a wavy sand dune...

View attachment 254489

View attachment 254490

It's possible I may not like it when I get it, but merely for the cost of return shipping I decided I'd gamble on it. It really isn't the type of blast I normally appreciate, but I'll check it out.

😎
Looks pretty cool to me!

Reactions: FLDRD

Chalaw87

Can't Leave
Apr 21, 2021
Northeast TN

I lied.
I lied to myself.
I lied to the world.
I lied to each of you.

View attachment 254489

View attachment 254490

😎
Thats a great choice. No. 221 correct? I was checking that one out. I really like the wave pattern too.

Reactions: FLDRD