PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
That looks absolutely amazing! I'm a big fan of cherry aromatics and the floral notes in Ennerdale, so combining them together with Virginias and Orientals sounds incredibly unique and delightful. It's a darn shame they're out of stock, I would have loved to pick some up.
Kendal Exclusiv Black Cherry is my favourite cherry aro. It’s got a very natural flavour in the Danish style and if you’ve not tried it yet I wholly recommend it. Actually I’ve not had it for some time and should grab some more.

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
A third of a bowl left of Uhle's Blend 71 in a smooth straight brown family era Sasieni Mayfair 64 N Canadian with a black tapered vulcanite stem. Shy Stripesy was sitting on my door mat waiting for me. As soon as she saw me through the glass window, she ran under the deck. I left food, and she returned to eat. It's been a while since I have seen her. I figure the new ferals have made her more reluctant. It's not much of a photo, but I was lucky to get it.
View attachment 253804
View attachment 253805
Lovely pipe Jim, I’ve been looking at Mayfair’s, do you know if they went through the same oven curing process as the Dots?

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
View attachment 253815

It's a pretty chilly autumn evening here in Minnesota, so I figured I'd load up the early 2000's Lane era Dr. Grabow Lark with some Cornell & Diehl Autumn Evening!

I've been smoking this Dr. Grabow once a day since I picked it up new and still sealed in the original package on eBay about 3 weeks ago, and I was really surprised by what a wonderful little smoker it is! The stem material feels a bit cheaper than Savinelli's acrylic or Peterson's vulcanite, but it's still pleasant to clench and for a pipe less than half the price of a Savinelli or Peterson I really can't complain at all. I've been smoking it without a filter and the draw is a little looser than my Savinellis or Petersons, but that's easily remedied just by packing the tobacco a little more tightly than usual in the bowl until the draw feels right or—as I just discovered—putting a Savinelli 6mm adapter in it.

All in all it's just a great little pipe that's quickly become one of my favorites to smoke, and I think I may have to pick up a couple modern current production Dr. Grabows to see if they smoke as well as this one. The Royalton line looks especially snazzy!puffy
I recommend a Commodore if you can find one, I love mine and agree that Dr G made some excellent pipes. I can’t speak for the new ones but my Commodore, Riviera and CDL’s are great smokers.

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
Pipe Force V in my largest and probably my favorite Satou. All of my Satou’s are bent Dublin variations with bamboo. This blend makes me want to start stoving Virginia, it treats my mouth well.
View attachment 253828View attachment 253829
My only bamboo shank pipe is a Kaywoodie Mandarin which I generally use for mild English blends but I’m curious, as bamboo is so absorbent do you find they ghost easily?

Status
Not open for further replies.