PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
I could have sworn I posted on this thread. I scrolled through, but didn't see anything.

Been riding a long-ish time. First bike was 12 or so years old, 1970s or 1980s whatever Kawasaki KZ900 that I blasted around the yard (knobby front, street rear tire). I don't remember much.

Today, I have two Harleys...
1) a 1997 Softail Custom (FXSTC) that I did a mild stage 3 on...
Performance:
• Wiseco 10∶1 domed pistons, (actual final compression 10.2∶1)
• Hillside Cycle Evo Stage II heads with manual compression releases
• ported intake manifold
• Woods W6H cam and Torrington cam bearing
• Dynatek 2000i programmable ignition (stock coil, dual fire)
• S&S adjustable pushrods (standard cromoly)
• Feuling Race Series Lifters (4602)
• Cometic engine gaskets (SLS base, .030" MLS head)
• S&S HVHP oil pump
• SE high flow air cleaner kit with Zipper's MaxFlow filter kit and Arlen Ness decorative cover
• rejetted/modified stock 40mm CV carb (SE Dynojet Recalibration kit, high flow brass intake, polished interior)
• external breather conversion
• D&D Low Cat exhaust (with louvered baffle)
• Baker DD6 complete transmission (not builder's kit) with 28 tooth primary compensator sprocket and [effective] 2.94 first gear
• Rivera/Primo pro clutch with medium spring
• AIM-Tamachi/Evolution Industries heavy duty 84t starter ring gear and matching pinion
• Baker high-torque sealed inner primary bearing
• Drag Specialties 1.4 kW high torque starter
• Sumax heavy duty 2 ga battery wires
• SE 10mm plug wires
• NGK Iridium IX spark plugs
• Jagg SlimLine 6-row oil cooler with thermostat bypass
• Spectro Platinum Heavy Duty full synthetic 20w-50 engine oil
• Spectro heavy duty 6 speed GL-5 synthetic transmission oil
• Spectro heavy duty primary chaincase fluid
• Dunlop American Elite tires (stock sizes MH90-21 and MT90-16)
• EBC HH sintered brakes
• Progressive 11-1131 front fork springs (50/80 standard spring rate) and 422 series rear shocks (950 standard spring rate)

Comfort:
• Mustang seats (original wide touring solo w/ backrest, matching original wide touring rear, matching sissy bar pad)
• J&P Cycles adjustable mini floorboards
• Drag Specialties chrome brake pedal cover (pn 1610-0134)
• Harley "custom rider", chrome passenger pegs
• Paughco H31 handlebars (ape style; 13" rise, 36" width, 7" pullback, 8" center width)
• Iron Braid chrome, trigger style braided levers (red/silver, red tie offs)
• Memphis Shades Del Rio quick release sportshield (solar) with Memphis Shades custom lower deflectors (solar) and cheap $30 clip-on windshield extension/spoiler (clear) from Amazon

Safety:
• Custom Dynamics LED headlamp (TruBeam with high/low/halo adapter), LED turn signal inserts (white/amber front, red rear), LED ProBeam squareback taillight
• Custom Dynamics "Smart Triple Play" module (rear signal run/brake/turn, brake light strober)

Functionality:
• Drag Specialties bar-mounted mini tachometer
• fender luggage rack
• Harley Onyx Luggage "Day Bag"
• small MOLLE bag bar-mounted with RAM Mount hardware
• Ram Mount X grip
• Russell "speed bleeder" brake bleeder valves
• First Gear coaxial lead from battery (for heated gear) with SAE adapter (for battery tender, etc)

Aesthetics and Other:
• DK Custom Products Rocker Lockers
• Ultima 80 twisted-spoke chrome wheels
• Barnett Platinum Plus throttle, idle and clutch cables
• Harley Davidson "Defiance" hand grips (black anodized, machine cut)
• Harley headlamp visor
• original Harley bullet style turn signals (fork clamped front, signal relocation kit rear)
• Drag Specialties gold & chrome "Live to Ride" Eagle derby cover and sissybar medallion
• chrome Harley Davidson belt guard
• J&P Cycles chrome, stock-style rectangular short stem rear view mirrors
PXL_20230606_175842423.png

and...

2) a 2022 El Diablo Low Rider (FXRST), which I haven't changed much on but the seat, few other little things but no performance mods.
Comfort:
• Saddlemen Pro Series SDC Performance Gripper Seat (all stitching options black)

Safety and Security:
• Turn signals converted to Custom Dynamics Probeam LED (white/amber front with smoked lenses, red rear with smoke lenses)
• Custom Dynamics Probeam low profile LED taillight with smoked lense
• Custom Dynamics Smart Triple Play module (rear signals converted to r/b/t & brake light strobe)
• Harley-Davidson Security Siren (pn 69000124)

Functionality:
• RAM Quick Grip phone mount with wireless charging
• Small MOLLE bag mounted to risers
• HD Hold Fast standard height sissy bar (gloss black) with seat-matching Saddlemen SDC Pro Series Performance Gripper sissy bar pad (pn 0407SDC)
• HD tapered long-stem black mirrors (pn 91909-03B & 91910-03B)
• HD Sport Luggage Rack for HoldFast Sissy Bar (gloss black)
• HD Elite Heavy Breather rain sock

Aesthetics and Other:
• Adam's Advanced Graphene ceramic coating and regular detailing with Adam's Graphene CS3
PXL_20230301_202545967.png

I actually just got back from a 2500 mile road trip yesterday on the Diablo.

Last edited:
G

Gimlet

Gimlet, huh?

Any chance you spent time in the 21st Infantry Regiment?

View attachment 252665
No afraid not. Never been in the forces. Gimlet was a username I acquired years ago and I've adopted it as across social media. From what I recall, I was sitting at my computer typing in usernames for a shooting forum I was joining and every one I tried was getting rejected because it was taken already. I was looking at my bookshelves trying to think of something original and saw the word on one of the books. It reminded me of a nickname I had as a kid, which had something to do with gimlet the wood-boring tool. Can't remember why. But I picked it and it's stuck.
Not very exciting but that's how it came about.

And I don't drink gin and lime either. Or gin and anything...

Reactions: jaytex1969
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I love Ural. I see one regularly in Winnipeg, in winter!!!
Yup, the newer ones are quite dependable,nothing to do with Soviet-era rigs, though due to recent well-known unfortunate events in Russia, I'm quite convinced the factory's current output has seriously plummeted yet the supply of spare parts and indispensable components from overseas to the factory have completely interrupted

H

HRPufnstuf

Don’t want to derail, this is not a bike forum after all. Have read a ton the last 6 months. There’s the notion of getting a 250 for a first bike, ride the hell out of it and then move up. Then again i have three good friends who all got bikes at 25 years old and they all say “get a 500, you’re an experienced driver, and not a kid, a 250 will be too small for you in a month”.

Rebel 500 it will likely be!
I currently own a flat white 2021 Honda Rebel 500. Sorry, no pics but it is a very nimble urban bike. Not a highway cruiser though...too light and short on power for passing. I love it.

I previously owned a 2004 Honda Hornet, sold as the CBF 600 in NA. Great bike. Let it go about 10 years ago.

Prior to the Rebel I rode this beauty for a few years as a commuter.

IMG_0017.JPG

1978 Honda CBA 400. Dependable and fun while I had it and in its heyday. I sometimes miss it but the Rebel was a good choice for me.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I currently own a flat white 2021 Honda Rebel 500. Sorry, no pics but it is a very nimble urban bike. Not a highway cruiser though...too light and short on power for passing. I love it.

I previously owned a 2004 Honda Hornet, sold as the CBF 600 in NA. Great bike. Let it go about 10 years ago.

Prior to the Rebel I rode this beauty for a few years as a commuter.

View attachment 252875

1978 Honda CBA 400. Dependable and fun while I had it and in its heyday. I sometimes miss it but the Rebel was a good choice for me.
Can’t comment much as I am a complete newbie compared with you iron butts here. Longest single stretch I did on my rebel 500 was about 120km, 2/3 of a full tank. Not at all confident so sat in the slow lane. Indeed, not much power to give past 100km/h. As for its weight, never felt it was unstable.
The wind and rattle sure became tiring after a while, so would agree it’s probably better suited as a city/backroad cruiser. But it’s a capable bike I feel.

Buffalo

Can't Leave
Oct 8, 2022
Central Nebraska
The wind and rattle sure became tiring after a while, so would agree it’s probably better suited as a city/backroad cruiser. But it’s a capable bike I feel.
From my experience on two wheels, it doesn't matter what size bike you have, the wind and vibrations are always going to be a factor. The physical challenge of maintaining control as the wind buffets (buffetts?) you along with combating the forces of the road will straight up tucker a guy out.

TheWhale13

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 12, 2021
Sweden
I bought a Honda cb350sg 1987 this year as a first bike. Not very fast and it is a bit tired, but it is cheap in every way. Because it is so old insurance only runs about 40 bucks a year which is very nice.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
From my experience on two wheels, it doesn't matter what size bike you have, the wind and vibrations are always going to be a factor. The physical challenge of maintaining control as the wind buffets (buffetts?) you along with combating the forces of the road will straight up tucker a guy out.
I think the big tourers with the fairings and windshield etc make it a far softer experience. I think Honda at least made a motorcycle which deflected all rain as long as it was moving.

Reactions: Buffalo

Butter Side Down

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 2, 2023
Chicago
Go ahead and laugh. I'm used to it. But I love my Vespa 250GTS anyway. Pretty sad I'll probably only get another month or two of riding around Chicago before the weather turns nasty. Pic is from 2020 in case you're wondering why there's a mask on the seat.

1017211334_HDR.jpg