PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

jewman22

Lifer
Apr 2, 2021
Ontario Canada
Last November, I sold my last bike, and have been a little depressed whenever I see a bike on the road now. I mostly commuted on mine, and working until 3am put me in prime wildlife active time.
In 1 year I hit, 1 skunk, 2 squirrels, 1 turtle, 1 rabbit and 1 raccoon on the bike. Realizing it was only a matter of time before I hit a deer, I decided to sell. Literally 5 days after selling the bike, a deer ran into the side of my Porsche.
So, this was my last bike, she is a 2009 Ducati Monster 1100, panels were replaced with Tekarbon carbon fibre, did a lot of other little bits and bobs as well as frame matched the rims, CNC Racing exposed clutch and Termi pipes. I really miss this beast.
20200813_145852.jpg

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Here's my 2 rides:

View attachment 67433

On the left, the mighty roar of 10 cubic inches from the 2009 SYM HD 200.

When I don't want to go as fast, on the right is a 1999 Honda Valkyrie, a 1.5 liter flat 6 cylinder with 150k miles.

I've been with the Gypsy MC for about 20 years.

View attachment 67432
Thread necromancy, but that Valkyrie is so good taste man!

I've always loved bikes, in particular big heavy cruisers, seeing the engine vibrate, smelling the engine, hearing the exhausts etc. Even disregarding I always loved the cruiser aesthetic, I am a big guy and conscious enough I have neither the physique or agility to even consider something like a Ducati 848 - which I find extremely beautiful nonetheless!
I am in the process of getting a license, have had a car license for 20 years, first stab at motorcycle lessons was 10 years ago, but I chickened out, now I feel I need to do it as I'm not getting any younger.
Target bike is the Honda Rebel 500 or Ducati Monster 620 for the first two years for which riding up to 35kW (roughly 45bhp) is mandatory in Switzerland, and then unleash the real idiot within and fork out for either of the below:
  • Triumph Rocket 3
  • Indian Scout
  • BMW R18
  • Honda Valkyrie
  • Yamaha VMax
I feel any of these would essentially be a man toy for me, but what the hell, life's too short.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Thread necromancy, but that Valkyrie is so good taste man!

Thanks!

That's the OLD Valkyrie. nnnn

The first thing I did upon selling my house was to get my dream bike, the Valkyrie Interstate model, which has the fairing, trip trunk and stereo!

I found this 2000 model with just under 30k miles. For a large Honda, that's not even broken in yet.

1659550009104.png

Here's the "family photo".

1659550037291.png

Honestly, I've enjoyed everything on 2 wheels, from a 200cc scooter up to the Valkyrie. I think you'll get a lot of use and enjoyment out of something like that Ducati 620 Monster. A 650 class machine has a great power to weight ratio, especially from Ducati.

Only thing lacking is luggage. I can do a week's grocery shopping with the Valkyrie, add a 12 pack of beer (or 2) and still scrape the pegs on the way home.

1659550498100.png

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I think the Rebel 500 is far more sensible according to my biker friends - but the heart says monster.
But yeah, the Valkyrie is an absolute beauty, and from what I read among the finest bikes ever made.

Last edited:
Reactions: Steddy and edger

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
The Rebel should serve you well.

My bikes are Honda. My car is Honda. My lawn mower is Honda.

If they made a toaster, I would buy it.

The Ducati will cost more if repairs are ever needed. The Honda will likely need no repairs for many years, but will lack the "spirit" of the Duck.

Same situation with luggage, though.

Get one of each!

1659556033496.png

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Maybe if I'd gotten on a machine when I was about 15 and imprinted on the balance and moves, but my only bikes were self propelled. In the Navy I rented a street modified dirt bike and putted up and down the highway along Long Beach, CA, but I got a little too intimate with the hood ornaments of passing Buicks and such. However, I've always admired bikes, the big road cruisers and the lean spared down machines. But four wheels for me. Thank you one and all for sharing these beasts; they are something to behold. Ride in good health.

Reactions: Steddy and karam

Steddy

Lifer
Sep 18, 2021
Western North Carolina
Ducati Streetfighter 1098.
Dry clutch.
No traction control.
Termi pipes.
A front brake you can use with a finger or two, so much feeling.
It made sounds like nothing else.

A raw machine, like riding a Grizzly with the speed of a Cheetah.
One does not ride this bike, one makes love to the road with this bike.
I sold it, it is missed but no regrets. 9B1F2DD6-304D-4498-A734-9EB38DDE7EDA.jpeg

Reactions: karam

boston

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2018
Boston
I think the Rebel 500 is far more sensible according to my biker friends - but the heart says monster.
But yeah, the Valkyrie is an absolute beauty, and from what I read among the finest bikes ever made.
I rode an 80's era rebel 450 for 11 or so years before I finally sold it due to a growing family. Marvelous bike on the back roads ...I loved it and rode it everywhere. But from time to time I wished for a bit more weight and horsepower on the highway.... basically to get away from lunatics and not get blown around by trucks or high winds. I think about getting a bike again now with the kids out of college but can't find a mid weight cruiser that's not 'blacked out'. What happened to chrome v twins?

Reactions: karam

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Don’t want to derail, this is not a bike forum after all. Have read a ton the last 6 months. There’s the notion of getting a 250 for a first bike, ride the hell out of it and then move up. Then again i have three good friends who all got bikes at 25 years old and they all say “get a 500, you’re an experienced driver, and not a kid, a 250 will be too small for you in a month”.

Rebel 500 it will likely be!

Reactions: Steddy