Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Disclaimer: The following is not a commentary on bikers in general but on one specific group.

I don't ride but did live in a town that was a main hub for the Sons of Silence. It was mildly terrifying the week before Sturgis as their private bar would spill out into the surrounding area and usually resulted in multiple deaths. Nice looking bikes though and our local Harley dealer was one of the best in the region.
yeah groups like that are pretty much mildly terrifying. Normally they're like easy to deal with. But still clearly dangerous. Like normally seem friendly but.... If that makes sense. Just saying sometimes people use precisely the right turn of phrase. And as bewildering as it sounds mildly terrifying is right. Kind of like a "dead" cobra is mildly terrifying.

Reactions: kurtbob

Mar 1, 2014
No more track days or canyon racing for this kid. Woke up one morning after turning 50 and said to my self......”self, you made it alive to this point let’s not push it”?. Sold the last of 2 twin bikes to one of the kids in my unit at Ft. Stewart. Yeah, he promptly totaled it within 2 days?
View attachment 65957

Yikes, Sport Bikes really are death magnets.
I can't wait to get one (there is a race track near enough hopefully I'll never need to ride on the road).

Kilgore Trout

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 5, 2019
Yikes, Sport Bikes really are death magnets.
I can't wait to get one (there is a race track near enough hopefully I'll never need to ride on the road).
Well, honestly they aren't really death magnets. The outer envelope of a modern sport bike is so far outside of anywhere 99.9% of riders would ever push the bike that i'd argue they're WAY safer than large displacement cruisers. The irresponsible sportbike rider may get himself into trouble, but the capabilities of the bike will also allow him to get out of trouble just as easily. The real concern today is distracted drivers. My Ninja is currently rotting under a cover, and I'll never ride it again. Not because I don't want to ot thatthe bike is dangerous, but because there are so many a$$holes on their phones that I won't risk it.

Mar 1, 2014
Well, honestly they aren't really death magnets. The outer envelope of a modern sport bike is so far outside of anywhere 99.9% of riders would ever push the bike that i'd argue they're WAY safer than large displacement cruisers. The irresponsible sportbike rider may get himself into trouble, but the capabilities of the bike will also allow him to get out of trouble just as easily. The real concern today is distracted drivers. My Ninja is currently rotting under a cover, and I'll never ride it again. Not because I don't want to ot thatthe bike is dangerous, but because there are so many a$$holes on their phones that I won't risk it.
Around here the main problem is deer and moose.
Those animals love to jump out of the ditch straight into traffic. It's good to keep some sticky tires on your car even if 99% of travel is in a straight line.

Last edited:

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
I agree there are many unaware, distracted, and just plain stupid drivers out there, but they CAN be avoided. I log a lot of miles on my bike. My car hardly gets touched 8 months out of the year. I haven't laid my bike down since 1992 (knocking on wood). I ride better than I drive. I am more vigilant and alert. I give cars more distance, always leave an escape route, ride within my limits, and I've gotten really good at anticipating what other drivers are going to do ( there is usually a "tell"). If a driver beside me is on a phone or seems unaware, I'll crack my pipes, just to wake him up and let him know I'm there. I ride with my brights on in the daytime and added more lights to the rear. I'm not saying it can't or won't happen, but these thing DO help avoid trouble. I WILL NOT let poor drivers keep from something I love! There is an old adage used by riders, "Ride like nobody sees you". I take it a bit further. I ride like "everybody out there WANTS to kill you, and some of them are going to TRY". It has worked for me so far. Keep the rubber side down, brothers!

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Do your online research first. I looked at those and found many complaints about quality and reliability
Depending on the production year Sir, I have had two in the past,but those rigs were made in good Ole CCCP whereas these newer ones are Russian made and of better quality, 90 % of the Ural Motorcycle factory output today is going to export market in the EU and U.S, but yes these are a bit pricey nowdays