PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
This forum is on the tolerant end of the spectrum. A cycling forum I infrequently visit can be at the other end especially when newbies start asking questions whose answers can be readily figured out through the use of the SEARCH function -- then the flaming begins. Each forum is different, if you hang around a bit it's not hard to identify the dominant personalities and the oxen that one should avoid goring. As the saying goes God gave us two ears and one mouth, therefore we should listen at least twice as much as we talk.

Dec 11, 2021
Fort Collins, CO
I joined a few Facebook groups, but they pale in comparison to this place. Zero substance. Mostly just people posting selfies of themselves with a pipe in their mouth telling us to have a great day! That, and people selling stuff, but the scammers run rampant. I’ll only buy from this forum. Can’t believe what people fall for in the Facebook groups. “A fool and his money” and so on.

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
This forum is on the tolerant end of the spectrum. A cycling forum I infrequently visit can be at the other end especially when newbies start asking questions whose answers can be readily figured out through the use of the SEARCH function -- then the flaming begins. Each forum is different, if you hang around a bit it's not hard to identify the dominant personalities and the oxen that one should avoid goring. As the saying goes God gave us two ears and one mouth, therefore we should listen at least twice as much as we talk.
This is a good point, I don't mind seeing repeated questions, even those with answers we've all provided 1000 times because there's still some new nuance or maybe a new personality adding their experience and, for the new folks, it makes them welcome and might help alleviate some anxiety about starting topics.

As far as the "oxen," every forum has them.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Although online social media sets a low-low bar, I think I can confidently say that Kevin, the landlord, his trusty moderators, and a substantial crowd of members manage a commendable and convivial atmosphere on Forums.

You understand as a crowd of predominantly men, there must be a high degree of bluff, blarney, testosterone poisoning, and banter. Still, on our better days we manage to behave pretty well. Comparatively, perfect plus.

keith929

Lifer
Nov 23, 2010
I agree!

This is the only forum I frequent.

I think the no politics and no religion rule goes a long way in keeping this forum civil. The rest of the civility here just comes from being a pipe smoker...
I too think the no politics and no religion rule keeps everyone civil.
Many moons ago when I worked in my aunt's bar the two things that would get you tossed were starting an argument about either of those subjects.
As a pipe forum they have no place here(unless we are venting about tobacco laws/bans). puffy

autumnfog

Lifer
Jul 22, 2018
Sweden
This place is great.
What I appreciate is the sense of humor and maturity.

Had to leave another forum.
The self-proclaimed Good and Woke made quite an awful bunch,
the activity consisted mostly of trend following and nervous gossiping.

Last edited: