PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Achieving a meditative state while being wholly conscious and aware.

To circle back, this is not some otherworldly experience I’m claiming. I just have a very busy mind (ADHD), so forcing myself to focus on something allows me to feel meditative, although it’s likely just achieving the baseline mental state of most other people.

Navy Chief

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 11, 2022
To circle back, this is not some otherworldly experience I’m claiming. I just have a very busy mind (ADHD), so forcing myself to focus on something allows me to feel meditative, although it’s likely just achieving the baseline mental state of most other people.
I can relate, smoking a pipe while I am working allows me to focus on two things. Working and Smoking, this helps keep me from being as easily distracted.

Nicotine. Well, that and it makes me look sophisticated, more mysterious. I'm taller when I smoke a pipe, much better looking, more attractive to beautiful women, a better driver, a better chef and so forth. Oh! More relaxed and contemplative. And, of course I'm simply a better person all around.
Pipes do make us better than everyone else. puffy

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Under relaxation, I'd include the sub-category of centering, collecting your thoughts, and being present in the moment.

This is almost an emergency rescue situation in the world of digital devices, unending broadcast soundtracks, and 24-hour news. Good to check in with yourself and see if you have a brain cell or two left. Surprisingly, you may.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
ChatGPT:

People find different things appealing about pipe smoking, and it can vary from person to person. Here are some common reasons why people enjoy pipe smoking:

1. Flavor and aroma: Pipe tobacco comes in many different flavors and blends, and smokers can enjoy the different aromas and tastes of the tobacco. Some people enjoy the complexity of different flavors and enjoy trying new blends.
  2. Relaxation: Pipe smoking can be a way to relax and unwind after a long day. The ritual of packing and lighting a pipe, then sitting down to enjoy it, can be a calming and meditative experience for some people.
  3. Socialization: Pipe smoking can be a social activity, and many people enjoy sharing a smoke with friends or family members. It can be a way to connect with others who share a similar interest in pipes and tobacco.
  4. Aesthetics: Some people find the look and feel of a pipe to be appealing. Pipes come in many different styles and materials, and some people enjoy collecting and displaying them.
  5. Nostalgia: Pipe smoking has a long history, and some people enjoy the nostalgia associated with smoking a pipe. It can be a way to connect with past generations and historical traditions.
I fit into each of those categories.

When I was a boy, I always enjoyed the aroma of the pipe tobacco coming from the Tinder Box located in the mall. My mom loved to shop, so we were at the mall a lot. I used to go in and look around at the pipes, and other collectibles that would be on display. As I got older a neighbor of mine would sit on his back porch and smoke his pipe, and the aroma would bring back those memories. Since I was already into cigars, I thought I would venture into pipe smoking.

I've always been fascinated by the craftsmanship of the pipe makers, pipe carvers and the amazing pipes they create. Especially with the meerschaum carvers. To me pipes are a piece of art, I love collecting them, and I enjoy having them on display as well as smoking them.

I really enjoy exploring new blends and sampling a variety of tobaccos. Same as my cigars. What's great about pipes is finding what tobacco's smoke great in different pipes, and really exploring the flavors of the tobaccos.

I really enjoy the process of choosing a tobacco, selecting a pipe, sitting down and going through the ritual of packing, lighting, tamping, and relaxing. Sometimes it's with music playing, other times it's with a TV show or movie, other times it's with a book, and other times I'll sit on my patio or porch and just enjoy being outside with my pipe. Any of these options is very relaxing for me, and it allows me to destress, and forget about 1st world problems.

I've had the good fortune to go to multiple pipe-meetups and hang out with many great people as well as attend a Pipe Conference. All great experiences that allowed me to make new friends. I also have a good friend that hangs out with me on an almost weekly basis, and we'll smoke our pipes and cigars together.

As I am a history buff, I really enjoy looking up and learning about the history of pipes, specifically meerschaum pipes. Which I usually do while enjoying one of my pipes.

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
When my daughter was born I wanted to switch from cigarettes to a different form of tobacco consumption. My wife ended up getting me a pipe for my first Father’s Day and the rest is history. I’m surprised nicotine didn’t make your list of reasons.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Taste, nicotine, relaxation, but most of all... fire... One of the things that links us to the first humans was the mastery of fire. The cooking fire, fire for warmth, the fire that drives the pistons, the fire for light... thousands of years ago the things our ancestors thought about while gazing into the fire. I get to carry the fire with me wherever I go. It's that link to the early humans.
Not as strong as I used to be so that reminds me I now have to clench because I need both hands to drag the wife by her hair.

Sinzalot

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 22, 2022
Wales
I'll add my two pence to all that has been said already.
I love to smoke, I enjoy smoking, I find comfort in the clouds.
I lose myself in the ritual of preparation and the knowing that soon I'll be relaxing with my favourite blends.
I like it that few people understand the pleasure of this pastime, it is a dying practice that links me to my past and my family long before me.
It is primal, fire, leaves, comfort, pleasure.
It is such a simple process hidden in a world of chaos.
I love to smoke my pipe and always will.
Happy smokes folks. puffy

yanoJL

Lifer
Oct 21, 2022
Pismo Beach, California
I'll add my two pence to all that has been said already.
I love to smoke, I enjoy smoking, I find comfort in the clouds.
I lose myself in the ritual of preparation and the knowing that soon I'll be relaxing with my favourite blends.
I like it that few people understand the pleasure of this pastime, it is a dying practice that links me to my past and my family long before me.
It is primal, fire, leaves, comfort, pleasure.
It is such a simple process hidden in a world of chaos.
I love to smoke my pipe and always will.
Happy smokes folks. puffy

I kinda want to print that out and frame it. That's beautiful!

Papamique

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 11, 2020
I LOVE that I can go all day (or more) and not obsess or go into nicotine withdrawals. Besides this fact, I enjoy that moment when the taste makes me cuss because it is sooooo good. Like a juicy, perfectly cooked steak when I’m really hungry. LOVE that and those moment are many. Collecting pipes and ALL the little accessories from tampers to lighters to filters to pipebags. The ritual and the style. The history. Sometimes a good nicotine kick. The art and the artists. I am sure many more but I have other things to do besides type so I’ll quit here.