Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Scottmi

Lifer
Oct 15, 2022
Orcas, WA
Title edited for caps and brevity.

ChatGPT:

People find different things appealing about pipe smoking, and it can vary from person to person. Here are some common reasons why people enjoy pipe smoking:

1. Flavor and aroma: Pipe tobacco comes in many different flavors and blends, and smokers can enjoy the different aromas and tastes of the tobacco. Some people enjoy the complexity of different flavors and enjoy trying new blends.
  2. Relaxation: Pipe smoking can be a way to relax and unwind after a long day. The ritual of packing and lighting a pipe, then sitting down to enjoy it, can be a calming and meditative experience for some people.
  3. Socialization: Pipe smoking can be a social activity, and many people enjoy sharing a smoke with friends or family members. It can be a way to connect with others who share a similar interest in pipes and tobacco.
  4. Aesthetics: Some people find the look and feel of a pipe to be appealing. Pipes come in many different styles and materials, and some people enjoy collecting and displaying them.
  5. Nostalgia: Pipe smoking has a long history, and some people enjoy the nostalgia associated with smoking a pipe. It can be a way to connect with past generations and historical traditions.

Last edited by a moderator:

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
the whole thing. I like owning neat little tools. The flavors are the bomb, just how relaxing it is. How the old school prince albert ads are right and should win a truth in advertising award. The way people will let you smoke in none smoking areas sometimes. like their house. Thee old familiar as well as the hunt for that special blend. Getting to meet a wide range of weirdos. that it is a safer form of nicotine which I am very addicted to.

Taste, nicotine, relaxation, but most of all... fire... One of the things that links us to the first humans was the mastery of fire. The cooking fire, fire for warmth, the fire that drives the pistons, the fire for light... thousands of years ago the things our ancestors thought about while gazing into the fire. I get to carry the fire with me wherever I go. It's that link to the early humans.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
There's a scene at the end if The Hobbit trilogy where after The Battle of the Five Armies Gandolf sits down next to a despondent Bilbo and begins the ritual of prepping his pipe for a smoke. After witnessing all of the death and destruction and the loss of dear friends, prepping for a smoke not only made sense, but meant life could and would move forward. It's a powerfully written and filmed scene and I believe it captures many of the reasons why we smoke a pipe.

Navy Chief

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 11, 2022
For me it is definitely the flavor and aroma combined with the relaxation and ritual of loading and smoking a pipe. I have not spent any time at a social event that allowed smoking in so long that it is definitely not a social activity for me, although I have been considering spending a bit of time in the lounge at Boswells since they are right up the road from me.

sham

(theSHAMOO)
May 20, 2022
Charlotte, NC
Always enjoyed smoking cigars with friends. While they are more convenient to smoke, they are less convenient to store, and purchase ($$$). When I found out a pipe lasts forever and a $6 bag of SWR could be smoked a dozen times and stored indefinitely in a mason jar.... well, it was a no-brainer. Not to mention many of my favorite thinkers and storytellers smoked pipes. Continued to enjoy it for the aesthetics and fun of preserving a nearly-lost art.

Also, I cannot go back to cigars now. The smell and taste is much more satisfying from a pipe. Often get compliments on the smell, which is not a thing with cigars.

RonM

Lurker
Mar 6, 2023
I just like the pipes themselves -- some are real works of art. And all the accoutrements -- the tampers, lighters, etc. I have a wide variety of those items as well as pipes. I've always been a sucker for gadgets anyway, and this sort of fits into that category. And, oh yes, smoking them. I like the smell of a good pipe tobacco. Sitting on the patio on a nice evening and puffing for an hour or so while reading or listening to music is one of life's simple pleasures. As with all things in life, I believe moderation is important. But as an occasional treat, nothing beats some quiet time with a pipe.