PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Interesting discussion on why intelligent design or "creationism" is actually more likely than the crap public education pushed for decades and still is pushing.

I got shoes older than Creationism.

Talk about an absurd arbitrary construct! Some 19th century Brit cleric adds up the biblical generations and concludes the Earth is 6,000 to 7,000 years old and people just accept it. He didn’t even know what measurement a biblical year is, assuming it to be solar, when that ain’t necessarily so. The mugwhups jumped to accept it uncritically, and a new “certainty” joins fairytale land.

JJM

Lurker
Feb 25, 2023
<- stone cold, Richard Dawkins-level atheist here. This thread won't end well, I'm not biting!
Think the vid I posted would still be of interest. The speakers are an atheist, agnostic, and believer. It's on the long side but interesting if merely from an intellectual perspective. Discusses the mathematical impossibility of the prevailing explanation of our existence.

Reactions: Briar Tuck

JJM

Lurker
Feb 25, 2023
I got shoes older than Creationism.

Talk about an absurd arbitrary construct! Some 19th century Brit cleric adds up the biblical generations and concludes the Earth is 6,000 to 7,000 years old and people just accept it. He didn’t even know what measurement a biblical year is, assuming it to be solar, when that ain’t necessarily so. The mugwhups jumped to accept it uncritically, and a new “certainty” joins fairytale land.
I won't attempt to articulate the points made by the atheist agnostic and believer in the vid I posted. Give it a shot it really is not preachy or even "creationist" in any sense. Just an interesting discussion on why the prevailing explanation is impossible.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Think the vid I posted would still be of interest. The speakers are an atheist, agnostic, and believer. It's on the long side but interesting if merely from an intellectual perspective. Discusses the mathematical impossibility of the prevailing explanation of our existence.
It'd be much better received if you hadn't said "than the crap public education pushed for decades and still is pushing.".

JJM

Lurker
Feb 25, 2023
It'd be much better received if you hadn't said "than the crap public education pushed for decades and still is pushing.".
I agree, but if you watch the vid you may just come to the same conclusion. What we were taught is impossible. The video has 3 extremely intelligent men who have come to that conclusion and explain much better than I can, why they do. They don't agree on what the alternative is.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
The idea that "creationism" automatically means it's all only around 7000 years old is absurd.

Not only can one have a general belief that God created the cosmos without any limitation on its age, but you can even accept the biblical narrative without any age limitation. It doesn't actually provide sufficient detail to come to that conclusion...and the actual wording in Genesis implies that there were previous epochs.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
I agree, but if you watch the vid you may just come to the same conclusion. What we were taught is impossible. The video has 3 extremely intelligent men who have come to that conclusion and explain much better than I can, why they do. They don't agree on what the alternative is.

I tend to look a bit further than a single video to govern my opinion on the universe as a whole. But I’ll give it a watch.

YTPC taught me this mentality.

JJM

Lurker
Feb 25, 2023
I tend to look a bit further than a single video to govern my opinion on the universe as a whole. But I’ll give it a watch.

YTPC taught me this mentality.
I don't expect anyone to base their opinion solely on this video. That would be quite foolish. However I do believe we can learn things from others that can, while taken with other things we have learned, help us form our opinions about various topics, including this one.

Reactions: Briar Tuck

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
What I don't get is, they're looking across billions of light years of space and taking these pictures (which are a few pixels.) I realize the universe is mostly empty space, but isn't the light they're observing passing through so much space, past so much dark matter, past so many galaxies and black holes, through so many dust clouds, that the signal can only be some warped image of its source? It doesn't matter how good your telescope is if you're observing a flashlight at the bottom of the Marianas Trench, from the surface of the ocean. It's going to look totally warped. How can you draw any conclusions from something that's so far away? These are rhetorical questions. I'm sure the astronomers have answers. Any professional astronomers or astrophysicists on this forum?

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Exactly.
How do you KNOW that you are real and not a hallucination in the mind of a sentient plant on a world a thousand parsecs away?
Let’s suppose the Lord God Almighty is a teenage Klingon boy assigned by his teacher to conduct a science experiment.

She’s a good teacher, and loans the lad a Creation Generator.

Kaaa-Boooom!

We cannot know where we came from for certain, but we have faith where we’ll go.