Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
@cshubhra posted a thread which discusses translucent meerschaum pipes and shows photos of its coloring process. The thread is linked below.

Other members have purchased some and have posted their thoughts as well. Try using the site's search function to read more threads about them.

Jbyrd

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 4, 2023
Springfield MO

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I actually was looking at one on Altinay but it just sold today. I wanted to get some information before I spent 720$ on a meerschaum.
I have one from Altinay but didn't cost anywhere near that. They have one or two on their site right now for much less than that, so I'm guessing the one you're referring to had some other features such as bamboo. Unfortunately prices have gone up across the board though...the currency isn't worth what it used to be.

Whether it's worth any amount of premium or not is up to you. There is a bit of controversy as to what if any real difference there is with this type of block. All I can tell you is that the one I have does have a subtle difference in the surface...as @didimauw said, it appears slightly transparent on the surface layer...and I do not detect this appearance in any of my other meers. So if you want one, Altinay is the only seller that tells you up front that's what you're buying.

Mine has been coloring very slowly. I've smoked it almost every day, and it's actually been coloring even more slowly than average for some reason. I'll have to post a current pic later when I have time, but the thing is you really can't see the "translucent" aspect very well at all in a pic for some reason...it just doesn't come across...you really have to be looking at it in hand.

This is the stock pic when it was new:

ALTINAY_MEERSCHAUM_2023_2021-04-17.jpg

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I'll have to keep an eye out for another one on their site that i like what the have at the moment I don't like enough to spend that much money.
Don't wait too long, meerschaum pipes have been quickly rising in price over the past couple of years, $40-$150 in the past six months alone.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
One of them doesn't qualify as a thimble with a .55" chamber depth.
Yeah, that's a small tomato...but maybe he doesn't mind a small one.

There is also a large translucent billiard there right now for $600. Looks like the one that sold was a spigot.

IMO Altinay is top of the line...very high quality meers. Personally I'd go with one of the "pencil shank" models they have right now.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I have one from Altinay but didn't cost anywhere near that. They have one or two on their site right now for much less than that, so I'm guessing the one you're referring to had some other features such as bamboo. Unfortunately prices have gone up across the board though...the currency isn't worth what it used to be.

Whether it's worth any amount of premium or not is up to you. There is a bit of controversy as to what if any real difference there is with this type of block. All I can tell you is that the one I have does have a subtle difference in the surface...as @didimauw said, it appears slightly transparent on the surface layer...and I do not detect this appearance in any of my other meers. So if you want one, Altinay is the only seller that tells you up front that's what you're buying.

Mine has been coloring very slowly. I've smoked it almost every day, and it's actually been coloring even more slowly than average for some reason. I'll have to post a current pic later when I have time, but the thing is you really can't see the "translucent" aspect very well at all in a pic for some reason...it just doesn't come across...you really have to be looking at it in hand.

View attachment 200189
If I had to guess, I'd say yours is clearly translucent. I'm still learning though. But zoomed in on my phone you can see the under layer in the bowl. The ones that look pure white, usually aren't. As in, if they are smooth, but "look" rusticated is what I look for.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI

View attachment 200189
Does this help
Screenshot_20230205-172904.png

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Yes, I do think you can see the difference even in the pic, but some might say it's too subjective. The coloring in a pic is another matter though...not as easy to tell the difference as when you have it in hand...at least it seems that way to me....but my eyesight isn't the greatest.

But yes, this one of mine is a "translucent" block, and was sold as such...for quite a bit less than what they're charging now. And it's a large size.