PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jerry

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 2, 2009
Western Massachusetts
Did you get it new? And if so, approximately how long / how much smoking would you say brought it to that point?
Yes, I got it new, around two years ago. I probably smoked it 75 or 100 times.

The seller wrote,
“The pipe you are holding is one of the many older meerschaum pipes which made from better quality meerschaum, as they were mined from deepest possible mines by then unlike today findings.

Also if you notice your pipe has marble looking natural design on it. I cannot imagine how that pipe is going to be colored! I am very curious about that too.”

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011

The seller wrote,
“The pipe you are holding is one of the many older meerschaum pipes which made from better quality meerschaum, as they were mined from deepest possible mines by then unlike today findings.

Also if you notice your pipe has marble looking natural design on it. I cannot imagine how that pipe is going to be colored! I am very curious about that too.”
I'm genuinely amazed that you got that amount of coloring out of 75 to 100 smokes. I'd be more interested in the coloring in general if it happened that quickly. I have meers that have been smoked much more than that and have nowhere near that amount of coloring...including my "translucent" meer.

jerry

Dec 2, 2009
Western Massachusetts
I'm genuinely amazed that you got that amount of coloring out of 75 to 100 smokes. I'd be more interested in the coloring in general if it happened that quickly. I have meers that have been smoked much more than that and have nowhere near that amount of coloring...including my "translucent" meer.
I, also, have meers that I’ve had more than 300-400 smokes with less coloring … but still very nice coloring! These three are all carved by Baki.51DE9CEF-6C78-4317-B69F-BE63C75AF4CB.jpeg

TheWhale13

Aug 12, 2021
Sweden
As I understand it, these "pencil shank" models are lined with carbon fiber inserts, that I presume are meant to prevent such problems. But I have not owned one or know anyone that has...so I can't speak from experience.

ALTINAY_0365-800x572.jpg
It's probably durable enough, but you can assume that it would impede coloring?

TheWhale13

Aug 12, 2021
Sweden
My (uneducated and unqualified) guess, is that this is something that was "lower grade" earlier in history. Even if they color faster, they also seem to color more splotchy, and IMO not as beautifully as a more fully colored ordinary meer, with its creamy character. Now, it's marketed differently, and garners a higher price. Is it worth the price or not? Up to the individual.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Do we have any photos of known heavily colored translucent meerschaum?
Apparently @jerry believes the one he posted above is "translucent" and the only other I remember is Said Altinay posted a pic of one of his once quite a while back that was fairly well colored if I remember right...I would have no idea how to find that now.

The famous pic of Baki's alleged personal pipe of course that is the ultimate in coloring and some claim it's a "translucent"...whether it is or not I have no idea.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
It's probably durable enough, but you can assume that it would impede coloring?
Yeah, it might impede coloring...depending on how the coloring actually occurs which there is still widespread disagreement about. But personally I wouldn't care if it did impede it.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Apparently @jerry believes the one he posted above is "translucent" and the only other I remember is Said Altinay posted a pic of one of his once quite a while back that was fairly well colored if I remember right...I would have no idea how to find that now.

The famous pic of Baki's alleged personal pipe of course that is the ultimate in coloring and some claim it's a "translucent"...whether it is or not I have no idea.
That's what I meant, an actual confirmed translucent one that had been heavily smoked.

Reactions: brian64

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI

The seller wrote,

Did you send the seller updates on the coloring since?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
@mikethompson has a beautifully coloured globe translucent meer.
He may be kind enough to upload some pics
That one came about 100 years before the designation.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
That one came about 100 years before the designation.

Yep. On that one I'll take Ember for a $100. You never get the degree of color on Victorian/Edwardian 'cutty' pipes and the only other examples I have seen were on a couple of pre-Russian Revolution pipes from Tallinn in Estonia that I gave to Shaintiques about ten years ago and those have fecking huge Baltic amber stems.