PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Yeah my Altinay, has got to be one of their smallest pipes, and was still 180.00....
I'm glad I got my Altinay's before the prices went up so much. But I have to say they appeal to me more than any of the other meer brands out there right now because of their style of shapes and construction when it comes to non-figural, classic shaped meers. So like everything else it's a matter of personal taste...theirs just really stand out to me compared to what I usually see with other brands.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I'm glad I got my Altinay's before the prices went up so much. But I have to say they appeal to me more than any of the other meer brands out there right now because of their style of shapes and construction when it comes to non-figural, classic shaped meers. So like everything else it's a matter of personal taste...theirs just really stand out to me compared to what I usually see with other brands.
Yes, a claw would be the only thing non traditional I'd consider at this point. Nothing crazy over here!

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
The ones I've seen photos of just didn't impress me enough to pull the trigger but I know they have their fans.
Some of the styles they produce that appeal to me I just haven't seen anywhere else...maybe they're out there somewhere but I haven't seen anything similar.

For example:

ALTINAY_0345-800x572.jpg

ALTINAY_0382-800x572.jpg

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Even then. A few members have mentioned hairline surface cracks in thicker material. Imagine what it would do to those shanks.
As I understand it, these "pencil shank" models are lined with carbon fiber inserts, that I presume are meant to prevent such problems. But I have not owned one or know anyone that has...so I can't speak from experience.

ALTINAY_0365-800x572.jpg

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
They sell these relatively inexpensive stripped down models with just the carbon fiber inserts stuck into a bowl, but the look just doesn't appeal to me:

ALTINAY_0036-800x571.jpg
But have you seen how light they are?!?!?!?
I'm half tempted myself, just for a bangaround pipe ....

Reactions: brian64