PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

aspiring_sage

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2021
West of the Twin Cities, MN
Functional, light, and no metal parts to scratch my other pocket dwellers, I like the branch tamper with an end pick very much.
I use one just like it! I leave them in all my bags and jackets.
I was embarrassed to drop that in the box, plus I was giving up my favorite pipe tool. :)
(What a silly thing to mail across state lines... this guy is going to think I'm an idiot.)

Reactions: The Amish Tyrant

Alejo R.

Oct 13, 2020
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Most are Czech trios. But what happens is that the antique dealers do not know what it is about and also because they do not attract much attention by themselves, they end up in a drawer together with the thimbles and the small knives. The ones that can be found and serve incredibly well as pipe tampers are the small seals to seal correspondence.

aspiring_sage

Oct 7, 2021
West of the Twin Cities, MN
I don't care much about the tamper, but having a pick is handy.

I must strongly recommend the "carved stick". My maple trees dump a truckload of tampers on the ground every year. They're the size of a pen, which I already carry. I can afford to keep one stashed in each coat/bag/vehicle/desk I might use.

I haven't found a czech tool to enjoy yet. The metal clinks against stuff and I worry they'll scuff up the rest of the contents of my pocket. I have been known to carry one if I'm going to a poker game and don't want to be embarrassed by, as my wife calls it, my "prison shank".

To the point:
If someone tries bringing my picks or tampers to an antique store one day, I assume the store will not be interested, or not recognize their primary purpose was tobacco pipe pick. Most will likely be discarded in the yard or fire pit.
IMG_5687.jpeg

Reactions: Piping Abe

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I don't care much about the tamper, but having a pick is handy.

I must strongly recommend the "carved stick". My maple trees dump a truckload of tampers on the ground every year. They're the size of a pen, which I already carry. I can afford to keep one stashed in each coat/bag/vehicle/desk I might use.

I haven't found a czech tool to enjoy yet. The metal clinks against stuff and I worry they'll scuff up the rest of the contents of my pocket. I have been known to carry one if I'm going to a poker game and don't want to be embarrassed by, as my wife calls it, my "prison shank".

To the point:
If someone tries bringing my picks or tampers to an antique store one day, I assume the store will not be interested, or not recognize their primary purpose was tobacco pipe pick. Most will likely be discarded in the yard or fire pit.
View attachment 197032
My friend in Ireland sends me these to sell for him. My original one is on vacation, and I don't blame him. The life of a tamper can be a rough one. My favorite tamper ever. I love how they patina. Just wish mine would come back home soon....

PXL_20230203_051428684.jpgIMG_20191001_220642.jpg

icm_150x150.422183621_52b11xntp1k4kwgwo0ww.jpgPXL_20210110_175341827.jpg

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York