PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My dad was one of those pipe smokers who owned only one pipe at a time, smoked most of the day, and smoked only Granger in the foil pouch. He tamped mostly with his fingers, or if he was in his suit, he might use the bottom half of a paper match. He didn't carry any kind of pipe tool.

When I smoke, a bowl or two a day, or sometimes less, I usually have a pipe nail and a small box of wooden matches in a metal matchbox case my wife gave me.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
My dad was one of those pipe smokers who owned only one pipe at a time, smoked most of the day, and smoked only Granger in the foil pouch. He tamped mostly with his fingers, or if he was in his suit, he might use the bottom half of a paper match. He didn't carry any kind of pipe tool.

When I smoke, a bowl or two a day, or sometimes less, I usually have a pipe nail and a small box of wooden matches in a metal matchbox case my wife gave me.
I was going to comment how, I like the accessories part of all my Hobby's in general. That's why I like cool tampers. But now YOU just added "metal matchbox case" to MY list!

Deano

Can't Leave
Dec 28, 2022
Iowa
My dad used his finger. Cleaned his pipe with pipe ckeaners and bowl with his pocket knife. Grabows were cheap then.

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
I never thought of using a spent rifle casing. That's a great idea. I know what my next tamper will be now!
I use a 44mag case, resized and I load a 300gr wide flat nose bullet into case (no powder, with a spent primer). Weighs just under an ounce, so it’s perfect for holding about a half inch above tobacco and dropping for a consistent tamp.

Arthur Frayn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 8, 2023
Sonoma county, Calif.
While walking my dogs, I saw a shed antler from a young buck laying in the forest duff. Turns out that if you saw off about three inches off of it -from the tip, you get a nearly indestructible tamper with a hard point at one end and a flat, round tamping surface on the other end. You can stain and sand it if you like. Makes a nice rustic looking alternative to the ubiquitous golf tee or nail.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
You can find Rodgers of Sheffield pipe knives with a tamper and pick reasonably priced on eBay.

I live near a small golf course, so I may pick up a few dropped tees once the season opens.

However, my favorite tamper was both handmade and home grown in Minnesota by @aspiring_sage and received as a secret Santa gift. Functional, light, and no metal parts to scratch my other pocket dwellers, I like the branch tamper with an end pick very much.

20221209_192814.jpg