SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jan 27, 2020
I decided if I ever go back to drinking in a serious way I would like to become a table drunk and no longer a bar stooge but that requires serious money. I mean, under this scenario I would have a reserved table at some brasserie, trattoria, tavern or whatever; for the same three hours every night where I would have a light meal with something like a sherry or two, a bottle of wine, and an aperitif. Preferably the table would be a corner booth. Does anyone here pursue such a lifestyle?

Dec 11, 2021
Fort Collins, CO
I gave up drinking for Lent earlier this year, and actually made it the entire 40 days (didn’t make it the previous two times I tried! 😆). I decided to just keep it going. I wasn’t a huge drinker, but I did like to have a few on Friday and Saturday. I honestly don’t miss it. More money for tobacco, and I think tea and coffee pair better with the pipe anyway!

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
I decided if I ever go back to drinking in a serious way I would like to become a table drunk and no longer a bar stooge but that requires serious money. I mean, under this scenario I would have a reserved table at some brasserie, trattoria, tavern or whatever; for the same three hours every night where I would have a light meal with something like a sherry or two, a bottle of wine, and an aperitif. Preferably the table would be a corner booth. Does anyone here pursue such a lifestyle?
That sounds fancy, but lonely. What's the appeal?

Reactions: kcghost and Zero
Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I haven't been to a bar in many years. However, I had a local haunt that was a quiet dive bar. Decent tunes played at a reasonable volume and sports highlights were on the TV. I could zone out and not think (or think a lot). People mostly would leave me alone or engage in short conversations. I paid cash as I drank so I could leave at any time and bartenders knew I tipped decently, so a freebie or a discounted double was commonplace.

Yes, like Lonesome George Thorogood, I drink alone. And when I drink alone, I prefer to be by myself. I enjoy the solitude and contemplation to clear the head or exercise the demons.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Sort of like Dicken’s Scrooge taking his same melancholy meal in the same melancholy tavern each night, except with more booze.

Such a drunk on the descent from being a drunk at the bar, to where he’s drunk upstairs over the tavern his wife is a barmaid, is the drunk who sits in a dark corner table waiting for the barmaid to get off work at closing time, and take him home. If I had to be table drunk, that’s the kind to be, I suppose.

Eventually such a table drunk, hits rock bottom, to where he cannot recognize his lady love because of his degenerate drunkenness.

But until that happens, a table drunk is not such a bad thing, of one chooses to be a drunk, you know?

Reactions: JOHN72
Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
To clarify my previous post: I’m not judging drinking alone (I do it fairly often myself), but the act of going out and occupying a table at a bar or restaurant every night to do it just seems like extra steps and cost… is the idea to sit back and watch the scene at a familiar place away from home?

Reactions: JOHN72 and Zero

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
To clarify my previous post: I’m not judging drinking alone (I do it fairly often myself), but the act of going out and occupying a table at a bar or restaurant every night to do it just seems like extra steps and cost… is the idea to sit back and watch the scene at a familiar place away from home?
Men with a happy home life have a wife, to cook meals and clean up afterwards.

The drunk at the table is downing his sorrows, because misery loves company.

Dedicated Porter Wagoner fans know this.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Men with a happy home life have a wife, to cook meals and clean up afterwards.

The drunk at the table is downing his sorrows, because misery loves company.

Dedicated Porter Wagoner fans know this.

You and I apparently drink for different reasons. And I don't need a wife at home (or at all) to be happy. Different strokes, I guess.

I just need food and silence with some reading, bourbon, and nicotine thrown in for good measure.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
You and I apparently drink for different reasons. And I don't need a wife at home (or at all) to be happy. Different strokes, I guess.

I just need food and silence with some reading, bourbon, and nicotine thrown in for good measure.
I was raised in a little town where there were two kinds of families.

Ones that patronized the beer joint and those that went to church for socialization instead.

It took me a long time, but I learned that a tavern and a church offer exactly the same solace of being around other people as the other.

But as for home life, the church goers have the better idea.

A table in a bar is a lonely place, compared to a happy home.

Reactions: Egg Shen
Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit

Ones that patronized the beer joint and those that went to church for socialization instead.

It took me a long time, but I learned that a tavern and a church offer exactly the same solace of being around other people as the other.

Agree to disagree.
George Thorogood - One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer - https://video.search.yahoo.com/video/play;_ylt=AwrNY_s2M4xjVMkINBm3mWRH;_ylu=c2VjA3NyBHNsawN2aWQEZ3BvcwMz?p=one+bourbon+one+scotch+one+beer&vid=2b18fea67fa993c24264e3464162f880&turl=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOVP.fd9DoGxWRJDWNiEpZxxLCwIIEk%26pid%3DApi%26h%3D150%26w%3D250%26c%3D7%26rs%3D1&rurl=https%3A%2F%2Fok.ru%2Fvideo%2F343189817942&tit=George+Thorogood+-+One+Bourbon%2C+One+Scotch%2C+One+Beer&c=2&sigr=e69BB7sJ55en&sigt=JYqWlrHYa4BD&sigi=56VpMaZhYEJR&fr=p%3As%2Cv%3Av&h=150&w=250&l=697&age=1503360000&fr=yfp-hrmob-s&tt=b

Zero

Lifer
Apr 9, 2021
TX

I couldn't agree more. Throw in some coffee, music, and a good movie... that's heaven on Earth. Did the church scene for the first 18 years of my life.

Reactions: The Amish Tyrant
Jan 27, 2020
Sort of like Dicken’s Scrooge taking his same melancholy meal in the same melancholy tavern each night, except with more booze.

Such a drunk on the descent from being a drunk at the bar, to where he’s drunk upstairs over the tavern his wife is a barmaid, is the drunk who sits in a dark corner table waiting for the barmaid to get off work at closing time, and take him home. If I had to be table drunk, that’s the kind to be, I suppose.

Eventually such a table drunk, hits rock bottom, to where he cannot recognize his lady love because of his degenerate drunkenness.

But until that happens, a table drunk is not such a bad thing, of one chooses to be a drunk, you know?

For some reason your posts always make me think of the stores in Cracker Barrels which sell things like potpourri, rock sugar candy, and sassafras colonics.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
For some reason your posts always make me think of the stores in Cracker Barrels which sell things like potpourri, rock sugar candy, and sassafras colonics.
Thank you. That’s exactly the kind of lifestyle I was raised.

Cracker Barrel, Bob Evans, Golden Corral and Country Kitchen must employ lots of decorators who grew up on Conway Twitty songs and know what the men at the barroom table really want, back at home.

We probably invented the cat clock with the swinging tail, too.

They hang right beside our gentle Savior as painted by Warner Sallman.

Christian Brand Inspirational Print The Head of Christ-Sallman, 13-Inch, Ornate Gold Frame https://a.co/d/a5HFYKz

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
Regarding drinking outside the home. In the bars of my city, there are no good spirits, only disappointing brands that smell like cologne. However, we do have excellent wines and brandies, in any bar. As far as whiskey or bourbon, I drink it at home. After many years of hard training with weights and other irons, I made the final decision to buy a lot of whiskey, and more tobacco. So now I train with more desire, happier, more motivated. Knowing that my tobacco and whiskey cellars are enough for a few more decades.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA

Some people just don't understand the need for solitude. They have to be around others to fill their emptiness. Being alone and having occasional drink do not indicate that a person will become a drunk. At your age, you really shouldn't believe every country song you listen to.

Jan 27, 2020
Some people just don't understand the need for solitude. They have to be around others to fill their emptiness. Being alone and having occasional drink do not indicate that a person will become a drunk. At your age, you really shouldn't believe every country song you listen to.

I have never felt as alone as I have when I was around others.

It's often nice to be among people but not with them.