PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Laurent

Lifer
Dec 25, 2021
Michigan
If I’m at the tavern, I sit at the bar. Call me old fashion but I like the relationship of bartender and customer. If it’s a new place, the first thing I do is ask the bartenders name, nothing worse than these people saying “hey, I need another”. I enjoy a nice cocktail bar also. A handmade cocktail is like a good meal. I stay away from the younger people bars.

Reactions: telescopes
Jan 27, 2020
If I’m at the tavern, I sit at the bar. Call me old fashion but I like the relationship of bartender and customer. If it’s a new place, the first thing I do is ask the bartenders name, nothing worse than these people saying “hey, I need another”. I enjoy a nice cocktail bar also. A handmade cocktail is like a good meal. I stay away from the younger people bars.

Do you think that Jell-o shots have enough nutritional value that they can replace food in an evening out?

If I have more than two servings of any drink, I get seasick feeling, my stomach hurts, and I get a headache. I may be the only person in the world with this problem, but the very idea of drinking too much makes me nauseous. I really enjoy the taste of a good wine, but luckily enough I must have a built in mechanism to prevent me from becoming an alcoholic.
When I watch movies of people drinking too much, and seeing their behavior, I just have to wonder what the attraction is for over-indulging. Meeting someone in person who has had too much, just seals the deal. I just don't understand the need for intoxication. What people say it does for them doesn't align with my own experiences and observations.
If this makes me a square fuddy duddy, I'll wear that label with pride. puffy

Blue ridge smoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2020
North Georgia
If I have more than two servings of any drink, I get seasick feeling, my stomach hurts, and I get a headache. I may be the only person in the world with this problem, but the very idea of drinking too much makes me nauseous. I really enjoy the taste of a good wine, but luckily enough I must have a built in mechanism to prevent me from becoming an alcoholic.
When I watch movies of people drinking too much, and seeing their behavior, I just have to wonder what the attraction is for over-indulging. Meeting someone in person who has had too much, just seals the deal. I just don't understand the need for intoxication. What people say it does for them doesn't align with my own experiences and observations.
If this makes me a square fuddy duddy, I'll wear that label with pride. puffy
I guess I'm fuddy duddy no. 2. I don't mind people that drink or drug or whatever else they feel the need to do, I just don't do it. Does absolutely nothing for me to not be me, which is what alcohol and drugs basically are used for.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Very similar in that I have a two drink self imposed limit. Alcohol makes me sleepy and then I feel as though my day is lost.
Occasionally I’ll have a cold beer or one mixed drink, not for the effects of the alcohol but one,,,,tastes good.

The second one, never tastes as good as the first.

And by the end of the second one, all those old drinking songs surface in the back of my mind, and I decide that’s enough poor judgement for that day, you know?

“For wine is a mocker, and strong drink is raging, and he who partakes of it is not wise.”

Reactions: Blue ridge smoke
Jan 27, 2020
Occasionally I’ll have a cold beer or one mixed drink, not for the effects of the alcohol but one,,,,tastes good.

The second one, never tastes as good as the first.

And by the end of the second one, all those old drinking songs surface in the back of my mind, and I decide that’s enough poor judgement for that day, you know?

“For wine is a mocker, and strong drink is raging, and he who partakes of it is not wise.”

I'm glad to hear you cut yourself off and it doesn't have to come to the bartender refusing to serve you more and asking you to leave before you are able to finish the drink in front of you or play another old timy country tune in the jukebox. Are songs still .15 a piece?

Reactions: Briar Lee

Chaukisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 31, 2021
Northern Germany
I'm already too much of a drunk, you don't even wanna know, no need for me to be a specific one.
I prefer drinking in solitude because that's when I get the best ideas and come up with the most wicked shenanigans. Not that I don't enjoy the company of my few friends, those guys always go out of their way to make me feel happy and give me a good time. I love 'em.
But going out to clubs or bars is completely out of the question for me, even if I don't have to spend a single cent.
I had more than enough wild action in my youth but now I can't stand it anymore. And I don't really miss it either.

Prost!

Briar Tuck

Lifer
Nov 29, 2022
Oregon coast
The only time I'll ever take a table is if the bar is full. I've found that an additional benefit of the rapport with your bartender is that you will usually get far better and faster service than you would at a table. Tipping well and being a regular also helps a lot in this regard.

Laurent

Lifer
Dec 25, 2021
Michigan
The only time I'll ever take a table is if the bar is full. I've found that an additional benefit of the rapport with your bartender is that you will usually get far better and faster service than you would at a table. Tipping well and being a regular also helps a lot in this regard.
Agreed.

Reactions: Briar Tuck

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
I should clarify - I enjoy conversation with friends, and I enjoy my time at a bar. I have hosted MANY MANY bar crawls around the nation, and they are ALL NOT about drinking. They are about history and having a great time.

That said, I tire of anyone's company after two hours. Then it is off to home. I don't know why that is, but after two hours, I am ready to go, even with the best of my friends.

Briar Tuck

Lifer
Nov 29, 2022
Oregon coast
I should clarify - I enjoy conversation with friends, and I enjoy my time at a bar. I have hosted MANY MANY bar crawls around the nation, and they are ALL NOT about drinking. They are about history and having a great time.

That said, I tire of anyone's company after two hours. Then it is off to home. I don't know why that is, but after two hours, I am ready to go, even with the best of my friends.
I have a friend who is exactly like this. I've never seen him stay anywhere much beyond two hours. He was always the first to leave when some of us would get together for beers, and it was always right around the two hour mark. It made no difference how grand a time we were all having.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
I have a friend who is exactly like this. I've never seen him stay anywhere much beyond two hours. He was always the first to leave when some of us would get together for beers, and it was always right around the two hour mark. It made no difference how grand a time we were all having.
I use to be the last to leave when I was younger. I think as I've gotten older, my attention span has decreased and I am less enthused about drinking as much. An Irish Goodbye and I take my French Leave.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
I decided if I ever go back to drinking in a serious way I would like to become a table drunk and no longer a bar stooge but that requires serious money. I mean, under this scenario I would have a reserved table at some brasserie, trattoria, tavern or whatever; for the same three hours every night where I would have a light meal with something like a sherry or two, a bottle of wine, and an aperitif. Preferably the table would be a corner booth. Does anyone here pursue such a lifestyle?
I like your style. Only in my dreams. Yes, in another life, if I lived in a downtown area of some large city where these places existed, and I had more money than I knew what to do with, I could very easily see myself doing exactly what you suggest, every evening.

But alas, I don't live in a city like that, and I'm so broke I can hardly pay attention, so it remains a dream...