PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaukisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 31, 2021
Northern Germany
No I didn't weigh the tobacco; I didn't pack it in too tight either!
I think I did rather good the last time I got proper drunk and tried it. I didn't keep an eye on the time but getting drunk really helped with speed smoking. 🍻😁 I'll keep on puffing and provide some data soon.

And to pick up the recent discussion about big clay pipes... I recently spotted this on eBay:

s-l1600.jpg

About 10in long with a chamber of about 3in height and clean as a whistle, for 53.80€
Now THAT's a poipe!

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
I think I did rather good the last time I got proper drunk and tried it. I didn't keep an eye on the time but getting drunk really helped with speed smoking. 🍻😁 I'll keep on puffing and provide some data soon.

And to pick up the recent discussion about big clay pipes... I recently spotted this on eBay:

View attachment 169772

About 10in long with a chamber of about 3in height and clean as a whistle, for 53.80€
Now THAT's a poipe!
@Chaukisch @Chasing Embers Do you think I should get a giant clay pipe?
I think it would be fun to find out how much they hold and how long it would take to smoke:)
We could have a competition where people make a bet on how long it would take me to smoke the giant clay and the person who makes an estimated time closest to my smoking time wins a prize. It would be a good charity fundraiser:)

Reactions: TheIronMonkey

Chaukisch

Aug 31, 2021
Northern Germany
Do you think I should get a giant clay pipe?
Surely you're joking? The King of Clay should have the largest clay pipe of them all. I just wonder how a fill this large will taste after half or a third of it has been smoked. Will it become muddy or not?
Edit:
But it sure as heck would be interesting to see someone speed smoke one of those giants so I'm all in for that competition.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
That's a formidable performance. Do you weigh the tobacco before you smoke it?
And do you stuff it in tight or more lightly?
I’m guessing for a level playing field in a speed smoking competition, the amount is a specific weight (and same tobacco and pipe) for everyone. I have no context in terms of good times for speed smoking—is @halfdan on track for a time that would place?

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I’m guessing for a level playing field in a speed smoking competition, the amount is a specific weight (and same tobacco and pipe) for everyone. I have no context in terms of good times for speed smoking—is @halfdan on track for a time that would place?
We may never know...can't seem to get him into an actual competition. But if it ever happens, it needs to be live-streamed!

Chaukisch

Aug 31, 2021
Northern Germany
Did you make this picture? I like it!
Of course I would slow smoke the giant clay pipe; the idea is to see how long it takes to smoke all the baccy:)
I can't even possible imagine how long it would take to smoke a pipe of that size, fast or slow.
Concerning the picture, I just edited an Evil Dead poster a little.
Hail-to-the-KingtcrAdojSSjdZZ_600x600.jpg

And the tobac would be probably be prepacked as well, you just light and puff. I think they even mention it in one of the videos.

Reactions: The Clay King

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
I can't even possible imagine how long it would take to smoke a pipe of that size, fast or slow.
Concerning the picture, I just edited an Evil Dead poster a little.
View attachment 169817

And the tobac would be probably be prepacked as well, you just light and puff. I think they even mention it in one of the videos.
@Chaukisch That's correct; the pipes are prepacked and all the same size.
Some of the pipe smokers I met in Nottingham were impressed by how long I made my small clay pipe of baccy last!
One of the Viking re-enactors I met today sat with me while I had a can of beer 🍺 and a clay pipe of baccy!

Reactions: Chaukisch

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
We may never know...can't seem to get him into an actual competition. But if it ever happens, it needs to be live-streamed!
@brian64 @Chasing Embers @Chaukisch @The Amish Tyrant @TheIronMonkey The competition was cancelled this year due to the Queen's death and for the previous 2 years due to COVID 19.
I'd like to take part; do you think I should wear the Redcoat for the clay pipe smoking competition?
I'd like to take part in slow smoking competitions as well but don't think I'd win...
I won the fastest time to down a full bowl in the Mad Dog Smoking Union contest but never received my prize due to the COVID 19 related death of its head guy:-(
Mad Dog Smoking Union disappeared shortly after never to be heard of again...
I've been nominated for a volunteer award from radio Sheffield by Anthony at the Don Catchment Rivers Trust; the awards ceremony is in Sheffield next weekend. I've made the shortlist of 4 people in the volunteer category!
Got 5 bags of rubbish on Thursday!

Last edited:

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
If it takes longer than one hour without relighting then I will always be impressed. I can't keep the embers up like that.
@Chaukisch My best time ever is about 45 minutes.
The re-enactor playing William Cavendish at Bolsover Castle told me that he once made his clay pipe of baccy last over an hour; I don't think I could make mine last that long:)
Cavendish's pipe was an impressive 250+ year old silver churchwarden; I'd never seen an antique silver pipe before!

Chaukisch

Aug 31, 2021
Northern Germany
My best time ever is about 45 minutes.
The re-enactor playing William Cavendish at Bolsover Castle told me that he once made his clay pipe of baccy last over an hour; I don't think I could make mine last that long:)
IIRC, the local slow smoke champion made his bowl last about 2h 45m! An Italian, I believe. And I think they used their own bruyere pipes of equal size but I'm not sure.
Cavendish's pipe was an impressive 250+ year old silver churchwarden; I'd never seen an antique silver pipe before!
Holy smokes! I gotta look that pipe up.

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
IIRC, the local slow smoke champion made his bowl last about 2h 45m! An Italian, I believe. And I think they used their own bruyere pipes of equal size but I'm not sure.

@Chaukisch @Chasing Embers @brian64 @The Amish Tyrant Do you think the Clay King 👑 will miss his clays and baccy during Stoptober?
Not buying any more pipeweed this year; need to save money 💰, improve my health and reduce plastic packaging!
I enjoyed sitting on a log with one of the Vikings while I smoked a clay pipe and drank a can of beer 🍺. The Viking said he used to smoke a pipe and said he liked the smell of my pipe baccy. Some young lads I met at the Brewery Tap in Derby were impressed when I speed smoked a clay pipe of shag!

Reactions: Chaukisch

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net

I wrote a newspaper story on the German championship in slow smoking in 2019 at the Peter Heinrichs Chateau nearby Cologne. They gave each participant the same pipe, a Wessex straight billiard and exactly three grams of Mac Baren Old Dark Fired Flake, two matches and a wooden tamper.

That’s the pipe of the 2019 competition:

D9B1860A-2A3D-465C-943A-AA2A86320B9C.jpeg

In those times I decided quitting smoking, but pipe smoking always remained tempting.

Status
Not open for further replies.