Hi Harris,

Is this high end enough for you?

PhgMxuW.jpg
a4ce94ebb14f80d0ab18679979b64d1c.gif

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Is there such a thing as a 2 to 8 grand (new unused) pipe as the OP has stated? I can’t imagine anyone paying more than a grand or two. That and every pipe in this thread doesn’t look worth over a grand (to me of course). Yeah they have nice grain but still…

Of course, I may just not have an eye for such things. But let’s admit it is a visual thing exclusively. Performance is irrelevant when 8/10 run of the mill pipes smoke just fine.

The only guy that comes close to being able to justify $1000+ is the guy with what was the most costly pipe 200 years ago. But even that…looks like any old pipe.

I’m not knocking you guys but I was expecting to see pipes with more precious metals, bedazzled with gemstones and crazier shapes.

Joura are the most expensive I’ve ever seen, they’re not being made.

WOW Marty has two of them for sale, better grab one if your pockets are deep enough! Both new and unsmoked!

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
This is not just a pipe! It's a monument to conspicuous consumption and poor taste. cray

View attachment 165844
For some Middle eastern potentate or Russian oligarch to smoke while sitting in his amber room

If you Google "World's Most Expensive Cognac" you will come up with something similar - a good but not exquisite cognac in an OTT bejewelled gold flask.

As you put it - a monument to poor taste

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Fun fact: The mineral content is indeed directly connected to age.

The black morta pipemakers use is usually around 8,000 years old and about 10% stone.

Objects that reach 100% mineral content and no longer contain any organic material are even given a special name... we call 'em fossils.

That's something to ponder while sipping on your VaPer while reading a book, innit? When the thing in your hand was living wood, Mammoths and (if it's an extra-old piece) Sabertooth Tigers were walking around.

Maybe one even brushed up against the very peice of morta you're holding. :oops:
I got the Josef Prammer morta because I was so impressed by the fact that he had commissioned a university study into the mineral density, age and how it relates to smokeabilty of morta.

The smokeability bit is rather subjective, of course.

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
Joura are the most expensive I’ve ever seen, they’re not being made.

WOW Marty has two of them for sale, better grab one if your pockets are deep enough! Both new and unsmoked!

I honestly like the appearance of most of my common pipes over these, but I enjoyed the story about the carver on Pipedia.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I think this clearly makes my point that PM has the best collections of high end pipes on the internet.
There used to be a private site invitation only called the Common Sewers. It was one of the many rooms that was part of smokersforum.uk.

The Common Serves was a site where all high end pipes could be discussed without having to apologize for having that kind of money invested in pipes. I was a piker to those guys. My Rad Davis and other American artisan pipes smoked great and not once was I felt out.

There were some amazing pieces of work that you would never see anywhere else. There were a lot of heavy hitters from the pipe world and the conversations were very cool. I learned much of what I know now from those guys just as I learned a bunch of cool stuff from this thread.