PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Unless I miss my guess, you have all the necessities on one level -- bedrooms, bathrooms, kitchen. That's a good arrangement for long term, if you might retire there. At some point, most of us lose a degree of mobility -- hopefully at age 103, and it sure is convenient to have everything available with no stairs, no stair lift, etc. Not something we enjoy thinking about, exactly, but a huge benefit if that time comes. I mention this to young people looking forward to building their own place. Even older friends who are entirely ambulatory like not taxing their hip and knee joints on flights of stairs.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Unless I miss my guess, you have all the necessities on one level -- bedrooms, bathrooms, kitchen. That's a good arrangement for long term, if you might retire there. At some point, most of us lose a degree of mobility -- hopefully at age 103, and it sure is convenient to have everything available with no stairs, no stair lift, etc. Not something we enjoy thinking about, exactly, but a huge benefit if that time comes. I mention this to young people looking forward to building their own place. Even older friends who are entirely ambulatory like not taxing their hip and knee joints on flights of stairs.
I saw the mobility issue first hand with my aging parents. When my father was in hospice at home, the family/great room was converted into a bedroom.

As a result, I chose a single story condo with all amenities on the first floor (although the basement is as large as the upper level and has my office, storage, and full bathroom).

Others in my age bracket may not consider such things or are more willing to move later on. As for me, I hopefully found my forever home and don't intend on leaving at this point unless it is "feet first".

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
Yes, we built a single story ranch house. My office however, is in the basement. I have a full bathroom, gym, and extra space in the basement should I need additional living quarters.

I have minor mobility issues at this point, and suspect they will get worse. If they do, I suppose I'll get one of those nifty staircase chair elevators. LOL.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
We had a Horizon stair lift installed for my wife after hip replacement complications. It's been dependable. The main thing is, you have the basics all on one level, and that means everything.

I love those giant puppies. They look like they will easily fill the spacious acres outside.